Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Thoughts on the Ruger GP100 Match Champion?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • duel_alityofman
    Junior Member
    • Mar 2015
    • 1

    Thoughts on the Ruger GP100 Match Champion?

    Hello out there, hope all is well. I have had my eye on the Ruger GP 100 Match Champion since it came out, and I think I am finally going to pull the trigger. Any reason why I shouldn't? Thoughts in general?

    I live in LA and have no intention of applying for a concealed carry permit, and even if I did, I'd probably use my Glock. I have been looking into .357 Mag/.38 Special for a while and this gun seems perfect. I have shot the GP 100 before and liked it, although it was a little too rough around the edges for me; so the MC looks perfect in my eyes (but who knows maybe I'm blind!). Long term, I want a Rossi .357/.38 lever action but wanted something a tad more reliable in the caliber before I picked that up.

    Thanks a million. May your guns never run out of ammo.
  • #2
    Oceanbob
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jun 2010
    • 12720

    Welcome to CalGuns!

    I think the Ruger Match Champion is a great choice. Love me a good wheel gun.

    It has a good reputation and I think Hickok45 liked it...

    Good luck.
    May the Bridges I burn light the way.

    Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

    Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).

    Comment

    • #3
      russ69
      Calguns Addict
      • Nov 2009
      • 9348

      4 to 6 inch 357s are very versatile guns. Definitely go for it.
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        Joshua Tree
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2012
        • 619

        If your heart is set on this revolver, settle for no less than the fully adjustable rear sight model!

        I prefer the 6" on any revolver, but others prefer a 4" barrel.

        Comment

        • #5
          RobG
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2006
          • 4887

          Depends on price. The GP 100 is a nice revo but, the Smith 686 is nicer in fit, finish, and trigger. I have had both and it is no comparison. I would try and find a nice older (non lock) 686 with 4" or 6" barrel. If not, the GP 100 will certainly be a durable, good shooter.

          Comment

          • #6
            Midtown
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2015
            • 776

            I like it. Planning on getting one for my birthday in May. It's an amazing looking piece and it feels great in my hand. I have shot a 6" standard gp100 extensively and it's a great gun.
            Last edited by Midtown; 03-05-2015, 8:37 AM.

            Comment

            • #7
              CK_32
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Sep 2010
              • 14369

              Never shot a match champ, but I have the standard GP with some work done to it. And it's one of my best shooting handguns.

              I'd only assume the MC would be just that much better.
              For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

              What's Your Caliber??


              My Youtube channel

              Comment

              • #8
                RedFord150
                Calguns Addict
                • Oct 2009
                • 5665

                Originally posted by CK_32
                Never shot a match champ, but I have the standard GP with some work done to it. And it's one of my best shooting handguns.

                I'd only assume the MC would be just that much better.
                ^^^Same here.

                My GP100 is over 25 years old and one of the best shooters I own. Hogue grips and a good trigger job make all the difference.
                God Did Not Create All Men Equal, Colonel Colt Did.

                Comment

                • #9
                  desertrider
                  Senior Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • 1465

                  Originally posted by duel_alityofman
                  Hello out there, hope all is well. I have had my eye on the Ruger GP 100 Match Champion since it came out, and I think I am finally going to pull the trigger. Any reason why I shouldn't? Thoughts in general?

                  I live in LA and have no intention of applying for a concealed carry permit, and even if I did, I'd probably use my Glock. I have been looking into .357 Mag/.38 Special for a while and this gun seems perfect. I have shot the GP 100 before and liked it, although it was a little too rough around the edges for me; so the MC looks perfect in my eyes (but who knows maybe I'm blind!). Long term, I want a Rossi .357/.38 lever action but wanted something a tad more reliable in the caliber before I picked that up.

                  Thanks a million. May your guns never run out of ammo.

                  I've had a Rossi R92 in 38/357 for a little over a year and have put approx 4-500 rounds through it with no problems at all, pretty accurate too.

                  I've never shot a Match Champion, though I do have a GP100. Here's my GP100 and R92.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    The Gleam
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Feb 2011
                    • 13372

                    Originally posted by RobG
                    Depends on price. The GP 100 is a nice revo but, the Smith 686 is nicer in fit, finish, and trigger. I have had both and it is no comparison. I would try and find a nice older (non lock) 686 with 4" or 6" barrel. If not, the GP 100 will certainly be a durable, good shooter.
                    Yes, but he's talking about the new "Match Champion" target version, which from what I've read, has a good number of features on par with some of the best revolvers ever made, including a match barrel and tested/tuned performance. It's not a standard GP100 workhorse, but you get that workhorse durability with match-qualities, without the fragile tendency of many other accuracy-dedicated revolvers - all at a very good price.

                    I'm thinking of getting one as well.
                    -----------------------------------------------
                    Originally posted by Librarian
                    What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

                    If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      russ69
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Nov 2009
                      • 9348

                      Originally posted by The Gleam
                      Yes, but he's talking about the new "Match Champion" target version, which from what I've read, has a good number of features on par with some of the best revolvers ever made...
                      When pistol silhouette was popular Ruger was the go to gun and could handle the heavy loads and high round count that the competitors were using. Weaknesses were found on the Smith and Wessons (I'm not bashing S&W). The Ruger Redhawk was designed with input from top silhouette shooters. Ruger even made a 357 Maximum until they found that the hot gas was flame cutting the top strap! The gun was plenty strong but the cartridge was like a plasma cutter and it was being cut in half by the hot gases from the heavy loads.
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        jyo
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Sep 2008
                        • 5320

                        The Ruger MC looks very good, but I agree, the adjustable sight version would be even better! I also agree that the S&W 686 is superior in terms of trigger action---but what do I know---I am still shooting my pair of 4" Security Sixes...

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          bv141
                          Member
                          • Oct 2013
                          • 385

                          It's a hefty pistol at 42 oz.

                          N-Frame S&W 8 shot .357 revolvers may be worth looking at also (not the same cost category.)

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            whipkiller
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2009
                            • 3461

                            Originally posted by Joshua Tree
                            If your heart is set on this revolver, settle for no less than the fully adjustable rear sight model!

                            I prefer the 6" on any revolver, but others prefer a 4" barrel.
                            Originally posted by jyo
                            The Ruger MC looks very good, but I agree, the adjustable sight version would be even better! I also agree that the S&W 686 is superior in terms of trigger action---but what do I know---I am still shooting my pair of 4" Security Sixes...
                            I'm thinking of a Match Champion as my first revolver.

                            Are the adjustable sight models harder to find than the Novaks?

                            Is there a big difference in triggers from GP100 to MC?
                            Too many hobbies, Too little time.

                            Mind you, I'm 5'7", 180, with a visible Ab...

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              mlevans66
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Oct 2009
                              • 9516

                              I just got one and pick up is next weds. This is my second GP100 and 4th revolver. I'm really looking forward to shooting.
                              The liberal see's the glass as half full and tries to take more.
                              The conservative see's glass as half empty and tries to keep it that way.
                              I'm with the people on the side just pouring water in the glass trying to get a drink!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1