Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

SoCal Skeet Clinic 30-DEC-2014 Debrief

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ceh383
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2013
    • 2536

    SoCal Skeet Clinic 30-DEC-2014 Debrief

    Well, it was another picture perfect morning in SoCal...well, not exactly.
    The morning started our a bit chilly and cloudy, then later turned into rain...Can't be, it never rains in SoCal

    Today was about a 50/50 mix of new shooters and clinic veterans. The newbies were asked to show up a bit early for the typical gun fit and gun mount instruction. After that, it was off to station 1 for some shooting and more instruction with the veterans showing the new comers how it worked. We then moved to station two, again with the clinic veterans leading the way. It didn't take long for the new guys to get the hang of it. At this point, we started to get sprinkled on, so we moved to station seven, where everyone had a chance to shoot singles and doubles...With a little bit of coaching, the new guys were breaking the pairs .
    We went through a few more stations with the veterans shooting pairs and the newbies shooting singles.
    All in all, it was a good clinic, students at all levels learned something of value. On top of that, everyone got to learn what it's like to shoot in less than desirable conditions...It's hard to shoot when your glasses are covered with rain drops

    I would like to thank Don and Richard for putting on these clinics. They are great instructors. You will never find a better value in clay shooting instruction!!!
    Last edited by ceh383; 12-30-2014, 4:33 PM.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"
  • #2
    Angryjonny
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2014
    • 35

    Another great clinic! Richard, thanks for helping me on station 3 getting that shot off earlier. Chuck, thanks for letting me shoot your CZ o/u all day! I loved it! I still want to shoot a few more over unders before I make my purchase. . Also Dave thanks for letting me try out your 20ga semiauto. It sure was a wet one out there today, but that didn't prevent us from having a great day busting clays!

    Comment

    • #3
      pjsig
      Banned
      • Aug 2014
      • 385

      How many rounds do you guys usually do?

      Comment

      • #4
        ceh383
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2013
        • 2536

        Originally posted by pjsig
        How many rounds do you guys usually do?
        It depends on how things go. Today with weather and about 50% new shooters, we went through 2 boxes. Other times, with good weather and mostly veterans, it's been up to 4 boxes... So it all depends...
        "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

        Comment

        • #5
          ceh383
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2013
          • 2536

          Originally posted by Angryjonny
          Chuck, thanks for letting me shoot your CZ o/u all day! I loved it! I still want to shoot a few more over unders before I make my purchase. .
          No problem, it was my pleasure. Shoot as many as you can before you buy, only then will you know what's best for you...
          "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

          Comment

          • #6
            grantar2
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2014
            • 3581

            I don't know what normal is for the first timer, but I shot 2 1/2 boxes of shells. I want to thank all the guys that loaned me their guns. (note to self, bring choke tubes). Shooting Modified makes it tough to hit the clays. But using the other guys guns I was able to at least see if I had brought the right tube, I could break clay.

            This shotgun thing is a little difficult at first for those of us the shoot pistol. The front sight really isn't needed as your not aiming at the target anyway. I say at first because I expect it to get easier.

            Richard and Don are a good balance of good cop bad cop, both with a fun spirit. Watching the experience shooters is a real help.

            Reviewing my notes there seems to be one thing overlooked. Don has a book 42 pages titled the Z Technique, he sells it for $20. I got mine early and am glad I did, as there was no time at the end of clinic.

            The intro notes say to be ready to shoot two or three rounds. I think if the weather had been better, I would have used a full 3 boxes.

            I couldn't have learned more or shot more if the lesson had been one on one. I might have gotten done faster, but having the more experience shooters there was a big bonus.

            Surprisingly standard ear plugs were sufficient for ear protection. Not sure if this was because of the heavy moisture laden air, or normal for shotguns in the open environment.

            My semiauto had virtually no recoil with the 2 3/4" 1 1/8oz 1145 fps Remington Target Loads.

            Fun time had by all as far as I can tell.

            Comment

            • #7
              ceh383
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2013
              • 2536

              Originally posted by grantar2
              This shotgun thing is a little difficult at first for those of us the shoot pistol. The front sight really isn't needed as your not aiming at the target anyway. I say at first because I expect it to get easier.
              This is exactly true. As a pistol shooter, it's hard not to look at the front bead. But if you do, it's a lost bird. When I started with shotguns, I found the bead to be a BIG distraction, so I removed it. Started doing better almost instantly.
              Do you need a front bead to shoot a shotgun?
              Ask Angryjonny, he shot my gun with no bead all day and did pretty well with it (he had never shot it before today).

              Practice mounting your gun, that's what the bead is for. When you have a good, consistent mount...remove it, it's no longer needed.

              Come back, have fun, learn more...No matter how much you learn, there's always more...
              Last edited by ceh383; 12-30-2014, 5:52 PM.
              "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

              Comment

              • #8
                Steve00
                Junior Member
                • Jul 2013
                • 98

                I want to thank everyone today. I had a great time! It was good seeing the more experienced shooters and the instruction was very good. Thank you Richard and Don for the training.
                I have to remember not to slouch. That's why Don knew I wasn't in the army. ;-)

                Thanks everyone,
                Steve

                Comment

                • #9
                  grantar2
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2014
                  • 3581

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    grantar2
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2014
                    • 3581

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      grantar2
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2014
                      • 3581

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        grantar2
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2014
                        • 3581

                        See the Target

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          10rounds
                          CGSSA Associate
                          • Jun 2007
                          • 421

                          New shooter at the clinic. Don & Richard were great instructors. Great mix of students. Learned some basic shotgun techniques. Started to break some clay instead of watching them wiz by like a spectator. After this clinic, I'm not as afraid of shooting my shotgun. Will be taking future clinics hopefully not in the rain. Didn't take many photos as I forgot that I had my point & shoot.

                          Ed










                          NRA Life, GOA Life, SAF Life, CRPA

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            grantar2
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2014
                            • 3581

                            With all the information Don and Richard were providing and the way they used every shooter to not only instruct that shooter but others, as a newbie I didn't feel I have time to handle a camera and pay attention. Just too much good stuff going on.

                            I have to compliment Don and Rich on not running a production line. If you came up to the line and took your shot/shots, and they saw something they wanted you to redo, learn, rather then telling you an putting you back in line, you shot again. Usually with less time to think, and more emphasis on doing.

                            I think everyone that was in the clinic would agree no one was shorted, or iced by this, rather we were all learning. Each of us got our full compliment of shots. I think everyone emptied at least two boxes of shells. I went through 2&1/2 boxes.

                            Well I really enjoyed the Skeet and plan to do it again. I understand Richard is very knowledgeable on Sporting Clays. Would love to see him teach a clinic at Triple B on Sporting Clays.

                            I love shooting IDPA events, pistol is my thing, but man if this first outing shooting Skeet is indicative of shotgun games this is great. To shoot the kind of course I like, you pretty much have to shoot IDPA (or simulations) to have the multiple targets and moving. With Skeet there are several ranges available, and you really just need a few friends to hang out with so someone can launch the birds, enjoy the company. It's cheaper than golf or autocross (my other hobbies) and just as fun so far.

                            We had a guy shown above in 10rounds photo holding the shot up hat that has shot a perfect round of 25. I think that would be so cool. What is amazing is this guys back story. He is right handed but left eye dominant so he shots left handed rather than right handed. He has a perfect 25.

                            This class was way cool. Really happy Don and Richard didn't pack it in when the rain got a little heavier. Shooting in the rain just meant we had to tear the guns down a little deeper when we got home to make sure they were dried out, and to give them a good coat of oil. Little more work for the guys with wood furniture, less for us with synthetic furniture. Glad one of the experienced guys mentioned it to me as I might have let it go, given the few rounds put through the gun.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              grantar2
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2014
                              • 3581

                              As the guys in the clinic know I was struggling with shooting a modified choke. I was also shooting 7.5 shot? Would I have been better off for Skeet with 8 shot. Another thread this morning had me wondering. I Have 7 boxes of 7.5 left so that is what I will be shooting, but wonder what the best size is when I re-order.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1