Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Sister wants her first shotgun... Need help

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • T-SULLI
    Junior Member
    • Jan 2008
    • 48

    Sister wants her first shotgun... Need help

    Hey guys! Well my sister has decided that she wants to get a shotgun with her Christmas money and I could use some help. I am not a shotgun expert so I thought I would rely on your expertise. If she had asked me about AR's it would have been a different story haha.

    Here are her criteria...
    20 gauge
    synthetic
    pump
    wants to hunt with it
    wants it for home defense
    wants to shoot clays with it

    Basically she is looking for a one shotgun does it all kind of thing. To me, some of these criteria are slightly in conflict with each other but that is just how I like to run my setups I guess...

    So far I have looked at some of the obvious stuff like the 870's or the 500's but I am stumped as to what model would be a good all around shotgun for her. Any and all help is appreciated!
  • #2
    olhunter
    CGN Contributor
    • Dec 2008
    • 3707

    How much does she have to spend?

    She'll have trouble with some clays using a pump.

    A nice semi-auto would fit the bill and you can get one for $500-ish with 2 barrels.

    But if she really wants a pump, the Combos they sell at Big 5 are decent for a beginner. With a shorter barrel for HD.
    It cannot be inherited, nor can it ever be purchased.
    You and no one alive can buy it for any price. It is impossible to rent and cannot be lent.
    You alone and our own have earned it with...Your sweat, blood and lives. You own it forever.

    The title is....."United States Marine".


    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      BLKFJDC
      Junior Member
      CGN Contributor
      • Mar 2011
      • 83

      I got my wife who is 5'2 90lbs the Big 5 12 guage Mossberg Combo. Swapped out the Stock for Hogue Short LOP and she loves it. If I remember correctly it was around $425 out the door including the stock.

      Comment

      • #4
        T-SULLI
        Junior Member
        • Jan 2008
        • 48

        Originally posted by olhunter
        How much does she have to spend?

        She'll have trouble with some clays using a pump.

        A nice semi-auto would fit the bill and you can get one for $500-ish with 2 barrels.

        But if she really wants a pump, the Combos they sell at Big 5 are decent for a beginner. With a shorter barrel for HD.
        I think she wants a pump because that is what she has always seen me shoot. I have a Winchester 1300 that I got like 15 years ago. I tried suggesting a semi-auto but she didn't bite.

        At what point would you want to change the barrel length from home defense to hunting? What is the shortest barrel commonly used for hunting?

        Also around 500 would be the upper limit of what she wants to spend.

        I never realized how little I knew about shotguns. All of my energy has always gone into handguns and rifles. I have a lot of catching up to do!

        Comment

        • #5
          T-SULLI
          Junior Member
          • Jan 2008
          • 48

          Originally posted by BLKFJDC
          I got my wife who is 5'2 90lbs the Big 5 12 guage Mossberg Combo. Swapped out the Stock for Hogue Short LOP and she loves it. If I remember correctly it was around $425 out the door including the stock.
          That's another thing... I tried convincing her to bump up to the 12 gauge (more options) but she feels like that would be too much for her. So we are kinda stuck looking for a 20 gauge which limits our options a little bit I think.

          Comment

          • #6
            olhunter
            CGN Contributor
            • Dec 2008
            • 3707

            Originally posted by T-SULLI
            ...At what point would you want to change the barrel length from home defense to hunting?
            Just before you load up the truck to go hunting....lol

            Originally posted by T-SULLI
            What is the shortest barrel commonly used for hunting?
            26 - 30" is most common. You can hunt with the HD barrel, but your range will be limited because the pattern will open up earlier.
            It cannot be inherited, nor can it ever be purchased.
            You and no one alive can buy it for any price. It is impossible to rent and cannot be lent.
            You alone and our own have earned it with...Your sweat, blood and lives. You own it forever.

            The title is....."United States Marine".


            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              Bill Steele
              Calguns Addict
              • Sep 2010
              • 5028

              Sounds like she knows exactly what she wants.
              When asked what qualities he most valued in his generals, Napoleon said, "give me lucky ones."

              Comment

              • #8
                T-SULLI
                Junior Member
                • Jan 2008
                • 48

                Originally posted by olhunter
                Just before you load up the truck to go hunting....lol
                HAHA!

                Comment

                • #9
                  Revoman
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2007
                  • 2395

                  With a pump, you get all of the recoil. A semi-auto is the way to go. Less recoil, easy to use. Easy to learn on....just gotta pick up yer empty hulls!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Canucky
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2007
                    • 4265

                    Start looking for an older 20 ga wingmaster?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ciwhite
                      Member
                      • Jun 2014
                      • 183

                      I've seen mossberg combo's in both 12 and 20 advertised from Big5. Just got check ad's weekly.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        MrMarco
                        Member
                        • May 2010
                        • 301

                        Can't go wrong with a Mossberg 500. If she's smaller in stature, they sell a bantam model. You can pick them up for around $300.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          MrMarco
                          Member
                          • May 2010
                          • 301

                          PS, please post pictures of your sister.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Euphoria526
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2012
                            • 3812

                            I'd suggest a semi as well. A TON less recoil to manage.
                            Originally posted by Jimi Jah
                            I punch paper only because it is illegal to punch people.
                            Originally posted by elpaisa1
                            I think flatulence is a more serious crime. I think it should be a misdemeanor with a 1000 dollar fine or 6 months of jail. It should be a felony if done near an open flame.

                            Originally posted by Euphoria526
                            I'm so awesome, I think I'll quote myself

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Friar5119
                              Member
                              • Oct 2010
                              • 397

                              Originally posted by olhunter
                              You can hunt with the HD barrel, but your range will be limited because the pattern will open up earlier.
                              The barrel length does not affect the pattern assuming the same choke is used. The length of barrel affects how smooth the swing is.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1