Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Stevens 77f adjustable choke and steel shot

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • NaClAddict
    Senior Member
    • May 2009
    • 1197

    Stevens 77f adjustable choke and steel shot

    I recently acquired a Stevens 77f, late 60's manufacture. It has a built in adjustable choke, not choke tubes. Lately I've been doing a little duck hunting. I've been wondering if anyone has any experience with these type of chokes and steel shot. Seems like some Midwest guys are using them with steel shot for pheasant but those are smaller shot size. I tried contacting Stevens but they said they had no record of this type of shotgun, no help there.

    Also, what about other lead alternatives with the impending leadless doom?

    Thanks in advance.
  • #2
    JohnCCW
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 1307

    I wouldn't. The engineers who designed those things never dreamed of steel shot.
    Google: poly choke steel shot and you find there are issues.
    sigpicDon't ask how many guns I own, I lost count.
    Rick Perry, Ted Cruz Trump for President 2016, because Hillary is NOT an option.

    Comment

    • #3
      Huntsprig
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Feb 2013
      • 1524

      Originally posted by JohnCCW
      I wouldn't. The engineers who designed those things never dreamed of steel shot.
      Google: poly choke steel shot and you find there are issues.
      I disagree.
      I have a Remington Model 11 my dad installed a Poly Choke on in the 1950's
      I called them a number of years ago and they said with a properly installed older Poly Choke, with #2 shot or smaller and a modified or more open choke setting, steel shot is OK.
      I have shot a lot of steel though my Model 11 without a problem.



      "I think our governments will remain virtuous for many centuries; as long as they are chiefly agricultural; and this will be as long as there shall be vacant lands in any part of America. When they get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, they will become corrupt as in Europe."

      Thomas Jefferson

      Comment

      • #4
        NaClAddict
        Senior Member
        • May 2009
        • 1197

        Thanks Huntsprig.

        Comment

        Working...
        UA-8071174-1