Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

New Browning 725 Sporting - Need Gunfitter Recommendation!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • t1kim
    Junior Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 11

    New Browning 725 Sporting - Need Gunfitter Recommendation!!

    Hi All,

    So I've been back and forth too many times to count whether I should go with the "out of the box" better fitting Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting (687) or if I should go with the Browning Citori 725 Sporting (both 12ga, 3", 30in)

    First, to let you know, I will be mostly using this shotgun for sporting clays as well as a little trap.

    Although I'm not a big fan of the porting on the barrels, I like how the Browning feels, shoulders, and is heavier than it's Italian counterpart. And as this will be used for sporting clays (probably once a week, 100rds per shoot), I'd like the heavier shotgun to absorb some of the recoil. I also like the wider vent rib as well as the nicer wood and simple receiver design.

    Anyways, the only problem I have with the 725 Sporting is that I need it to be more cast off (I'm right handed) because when I naturally mount the gun up to my cheek and shoulder, my right eye (dominant) sighting is still a little bit left of the sights. I'm guessing a little more cast off than 1/16" (possibly up to a little less than 1/8") at the comb should do the trick. I'm sure I can "get by" but I would rather have the natural mount come up straight without any manipulation on my part. Plus, I don't want to get slapped by recoil all day long since I'm hanging over the stock...

    Could someone please recommend who the best gunfitters are in the Los Angeles or Covina areas? (All So Cal, in the 818, 213, 323, or 626 area codes). I have been told a great gunsmith isn't always a great gunfitter, and I'm sure some of you guys have had had some woodwork done to your babies and have recommendations on who's the best (or, sorry to say, who to avoid; and out of respect, if this is the case, please PM me and not public post the no-no's).

    And if possible, a possible ballpark estimate of just adjusting the cast would be much appreciated. Everything else seems to feel pretty good.

    Thanks very much,
    Tim
    Last edited by t1kim; 07-27-2014, 6:51 PM.
  • #2
    ysr_racer
    Banned
    • Mar 2006
    • 12014

    Did you already buy the gun? Buy the gun you like, the one that fits best, then get it fit.

    I've used Bob Day at http://www.americhoke.com/

    It sounds like you need an adjustable comb.

    Comment

    • #3
      t1kim
      Junior Member
      • Mar 2009
      • 11

      Thanks YSR,

      How did you like the results? And if you don't mind me asking, how much work did you have done?

      Please correct me if I'm wrong but adjustable combs are for vertical adjustments only no?

      I'm a fan of Beratta's but I really liked the Browning in terms of feel, balance, weight, and aesthetics. The LOP and drop are pretty good, but only the cast is a slight bit off... I think Brownings (or least the 725) come with neutral cast (?). So unlike alot of the Berreta's, well, in talking semi's now, where you can put a slight cast on or off depending on whether you're left or right handed, respectively, with a quick shim change at the butt of the stock, the Browning seems straight as an arrow.

      So I'd like to see my options. Whether I can have the fit of the "lantern and soot" method done by a highly recommended gunfitter in the LA area, or if there are any other options... I've heard of actual wood bending as well, but not very keen on the way it was described to me where it's heated with steam (?) and the wood itself is bent.

      But either way, any great gunfitter recommendations would be much appreciated.

      Thanks again,
      Tim

      Comment

      • #4
        t1kim
        Junior Member
        • Mar 2009
        • 11

        Also, I was told at a local shop that a JOHN HAGERMAN was the one I should get in touch with. Apparently he is a good gunfitter. Anyone ever heard of him or have had any experience with him?

        Thanks,
        Tim

        Comment

        • #5
          Revoman
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2007
          • 2395

          You do know that Browning does have non-ported barrels available by order? There may be some gunsmithing to fit the barrels, but just letting you know that it is an option. (I personally hate porting, but that's just me.)

          Comment

          • #6
            ysr_racer
            Banned
            • Mar 2006
            • 12014

            Originally posted by t1kim
            Thanks YSR,

            How did you like the results? And if you don't mind me asking, how much work did you have done?

            Please correct me if I'm wrong but adjustable combs are for vertical adjustments only no?

            I'm a fan of Beratta's but I really liked the Browning in terms of feel, balance, weight, and aesthetics. The LOP and drop are pretty good, but only the cast is a slight bit off... I think Brownings (or least the 725) come with neutral cast (?). So unlike alot of the Berreta's, well, in talking semi's now, where you can put a slight cast on or off depending on whether you're left or right handed, respectively, with a quick shim change at the butt of the stock, the Browning seems straight as an arrow.

            So I'd like to see my options. Whether I can have the fit of the "lantern and soot" method done by a highly recommended gunfitter in the LA area, or if there are any other options... I've heard of actual wood bending as well, but not very keen on the way it was described to me where it's heated with steam (?) and the wood itself is bent.

            But either way, any great gunfitter recommendations would be much appreciated.

            Thanks again,
            Tim
            I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself. Buy the gun, have the LOP checked and corrected if needed.

            Then have the comb checked and corrected if need. Then shoot the crap out of it. Any good instructor can help you with gun-fit.

            Having the wood bent is a throw back to days gone by. Nobody does that anymore, mostly because the wood "springs" back to it's original dimensions.

            P.S. how does a guy without a gun know so much about "cast" ?

            Don't overthink it.
            Last edited by ysr_racer; 07-28-2014, 6:38 AM.

            Comment

            • #7
              ceh383
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2013
              • 2536

              Don't allow porting to be a deal breaker, it's not that bad. I prefer no porting on a shotgun, but my main gun is ported...It makes no real difference either way.
              A 4-way adjustable comb will take care of the cast issue.
              "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

              Comment

              • #8
                steve parker
                Junior Member
                • Dec 2008
                • 28

                I'm new to trap, so after talking with other shooters and researching, I took my Browning BT-99 to a gun fitter. I spent two hours with him (including a patterning board and 25 shots of trap and some instruction) and he charged me $225, which I thought was very fair. But after it was all said and done there was only minimal adjustments to the adjustable comb and none to the stock. Would I do it again? Probably. I think just the peace of mind knowing that my gun was fitted perfectly to me was worth it...in addition to the shooting instruction. I'm sure I could have eventually fitted it myself through trial and error, but I would likely have always wondered if it was correct. So, if your LOP is already correct, and your 725 has an adjustable comb that will accommodate cast on/off then you have several options. Good luck.

                Comment

                • #9
                  bigbearbear
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Jun 2011
                  • 5378

                  I think that if the Beretta fits you better, you should get it. Everything else is secondary. Plus, you can get a Preciision Fit Stock for the Beretta 686/687 series if you find that after shooting for a while you want to make some adjustments, but not for the Browning 725.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    anti
                    Senior Member
                    • Mar 2011
                    • 2098

                    Originally posted by steve parker
                    I'm new to trap, so after talking with other shooters and researching, I took my Browning BT-99 to a gun fitter. I spent two hours with him (including a patterning board and 25 shots of trap and some instruction) and he charged me $225, which I thought was very fair. But after it was all said and done there was only minimal adjustments to the adjustable comb and none to the stock. Would I do it again? Probably. I think just the peace of mind knowing that my gun was fitted perfectly to me was worth it...in addition to the shooting instruction. I'm sure I could have eventually fitted it myself through trial and error, but I would likely have always wondered if it was correct. So, if your LOP is already correct, and your 725 has an adjustable comb that will accommodate cast on/off then you have several options. Good luck.
                    And on top of that, who knows how many shells you would've gone through to just 'feel' that the fit is right. I also need someone with experience to critique my mount, fit, and shooting. I feel I have it adjusted pretty good but I'm also not a professional.
                    Truckers make the world go 'round!

                    Interested in shooting Olympic trap? Join CICTSA! (CA International Clay Target Shooting Association)

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ysr_racer
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2006
                      • 12014

                      Originally posted by ceh383
                      A 4-way adjustable comb will take care of the cast issue.
                      Yep, what he said.

                      The object of an adjustable comb is to position your dominant eye over the center line of the barrel (since there is no rear sight).

                      Once you have a good gun mount / fit you won't even need a front bead. I haven't had one for years and I can break my share of targets.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        emissivity
                        Junior Member
                        • Jul 2014
                        • 6

                        I have ported barrels on my 725 sporting. The only downside I see is cleaning the crud out of them with a small pipe cleaner. It shouldn't be a deal breaker for you.

                        Try calling around to see if you can demo both guns. I live in the Bay Area and I was fortunate to demo the 725 sporting at Coyote Clays in Morgan Hill. I too was in a similar situation, I wanted the Beretta 692 so bad, but the fit and mount of the 725 sporting was too good to pass up, so I ended up getting it.

                        The only thing I had to do was reduce the length of pull by -.75", I didn't want to cut the stock, so I found a thinner Inflex 2 recoil pad on ebay from the UK. Unfortunately Browning doesn't sell different thickness Inflex recoil pads in the US, so I had to pay extra for shipping from the UK. At the end, it's still cost less than cutting the stock and grinding the pad to fit.

                        Now to answer your gunfitting question, you can probably call or visit Pacific Sporting Arms in Azuza. In my opinion they're one of the top shotgun dealers in California and serve many amateurs to Olympic bound shooters. http://www.pacificsportingarms.com/

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          ysr_racer
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2006
                          • 12014

                          I've got a Browning 525 that I've only put about 100,000 or so rounds thru it, and I've yet to "clean the ports".

                          Shoot the crap out of it, wipe down the outside, run a bore snake thru it, rinse, lather, repeat.

                          Don't overthink it.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            ysr_racer
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2006
                            • 12014

                            OP if you or anybody else wants to shoot my Browning 525 I'll be at Raahauge's this Saturday around 8:00am.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              ysr_racer
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2006
                              • 12014

                              Here's what an adjustable comb looks like. Up / down & left / right

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1