Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

California State Shoot 2014 (updated with photos)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bigbearbear
    Calguns Addict
    • Jun 2011
    • 5378

    California State Shoot 2014 (updated with photos)

    Is anyone going to the California State Shoot 2014 next week? I'm planning to go there, not as a shooter/competitor but as a shopper.

    I'm hoping there will be lots of vendors there and maybe let me check out a new shotgun.

    P.S.: This is a trap shooting event.
    Last edited by bigbearbear; 06-29-2014, 10:57 PM.
  • #2
    Thefeeder
    Calguns Addict
    • Jun 2007
    • 5007

    <>

    Last year there few venders at the State shoot...there was a couble of shotgun fitters and some where in my memory I recall a Perazzi repair turck.

    Brad might have a better memory then me...so he may chime in.

    You should shoot some of the events just for the fun of it, I shot the main event last year just for the fun......no presure, more fun.

    Have a good time down there


    edit : thought you were refering to the state sporting clays shoot........have a good time just the same
    Last edited by Thefeeder; 06-22-2014, 7:07 PM.

    Comment

    • #3
      nfouarge
      Member
      • Jan 2013
      • 278

      I looked over the rules and regs that you linked. Say I want to shoot the 200 16yd on saturday. I havnt shot any registered birds in Cali ever before, and before that it was 10+ years ago, so basically no handicap to go off of. It looks like I would get put into group A right? It's a little over 3hr drive for me it appears, so could I get there at like 9am signup and still be able to get on a squad do you think?

      Comment

      • #4
        bigbearbear
        Calguns Addict
        • Jun 2011
        • 5378

        Originally posted by Thefeeder
        edit : thought you were refering to the state sporting clays shoot........have a good time just the same
        Hah hah...no worries, thanks anyway. I'm not good enough to shoot sporting clays yet, maybe when wife and I get better at trap we'll give sporting clays a go.

        Comment

        • #5
          bigbearbear
          Calguns Addict
          • Jun 2011
          • 5378

          Originally posted by nfouarge
          I looked over the rules and regs that you linked. Say I want to shoot the 200 16yd on saturday. I havnt shot any registered birds in Cali ever before, and before that it was 10+ years ago, so basically no handicap to go off of. It looks like I would get put into group A right? It's a little over 3hr drive for me it appears, so could I get there at like 9am signup and still be able to get on a squad do you think?
          I have never shot at any of these registered event, hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. I did see on their agenda that they have some sort of annual meeting on Sat and Sun morning starting at 8am and registration will start once their meeting has ended. They didn't say what time their meeting will end though but I guess it must not be too late, otherwise folks won't be able to register.


          There's another post on this event at trapshooters.com, seems like someone is there and posting pictures already. You might want to try asking there: http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/...-shoot.220692/

          Comment

          • #6
            Newshooter
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2010
            • 1171

            You are automatically put into B class for singles (16 yd) until you shoot enough registered targets to establish an average which puts you in the correct class.

            You should try it. Some of the nicest people I have ever met have been at trap shoots.

            Comment

            • #7
              ysr_racer
              Banned
              • Mar 2006
              • 12014

              Yep, there are three separate State Championships for clay shooting in California.

              Trap. skeet, and sporting clays all have their own, and they hold them on different weekends and at different clubs.

              Tom John Jr. is this year's CA State Sporting Clays Champion. He shot a 186 out of 200 to beat out Mike Dieleman by four birds to claim it.

              Trap and skeet are games of perfection (100 straight) , sporting clays isn't.
              Last edited by ysr_racer; 06-22-2014, 7:46 PM.

              Comment

              • #8
                Jules
                Member
                • Aug 2010
                • 188

                I just got back. I have a kids team for winter league, and four of them were shooting at the AIM/SCTP championships yesterday, so we went early to watch them. Then I shot 300 targets at the preshoot today to get my second zone in for eligibility for the 2015 state team. There's another preshoot event tomorrow, if you want to get your feet wet on a slightly smaller event.

                The Decot guy is there already, and my father-in-law and I both got a new set of lenses. The earplug guy and the Perazzi guy are there already too.

                I'm going back tomorrow after work to shoot the whole main event. Squad 1, post 4.

                This is my first year in ATA. You're going to get penalized when you start no matter what you do, but some of the smaller shoots require fewer targets. It doesn't matter; you're still pulling the trigger, and it's fun.

                And yes, you can get on a squad if you show up at 9. There's a time limit after the event has started, but I don’t remember what this one is.
                Last edited by Jules; 06-22-2014, 7:40 PM.

                Comment

                • #9
                  bigbearbear
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Jun 2011
                  • 5378

                  Originally posted by Jules
                  The Decot guy is there already, and my father-in-law and I both got a new set of lenses. The earplug guy and the Perazzi guy are there already too.
                  This is great news for me, I've been wanting to get a pair of shooting glasses, I've even emailed Decot to ask questions but all they replied was a "give us a call". It'll be good to see them there.

                  The earplug should be interesting too. Thanks for the info. Wife and I should be there Sat and Sun. Mainly watching and a little shopping.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Jules
                    Member
                    • Aug 2010
                    • 188

                    That guy will help you pick out what works best for you, and he'll make sure they fit. He's a good guy.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      LynnJr
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Jan 2013
                      • 7958

                      My uncle should be there for the entire event.They usually have a large scoring area were all the scores are posted.You can see what each class is doing.

                      I went to Coon Creek after not shooting ATA or PITA for 10 years and they squaded me class B singles and 21 yards.I shot a 99 in the morning and a 98 in the handicap and the next day I was a AA and 25 yards.I was still shooting local club shoots just no registered birds and I told them that.

                      The Decot guy will fit the frames to your face and you can then look at all the colors to see which ones you want.They snap in and out in seconds and come in a carrying case.I always get clear and the colors of the targets you will be shooting at.Usually orange white and green pigeons.
                      Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
                      Southwest Regional Director
                      Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
                      www.unlimitedrange.org
                      Not a commercial business.
                      URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        bigbearbear
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Jun 2011
                        • 5378

                        Originally posted by LynnJr
                        The Decot guy will fit the frames to your face and you can then look at all the colors to see which ones you want.They snap in and out in seconds and come in a carrying case.I always get clear and the colors of the targets you will be shooting at.Usually orange white and green pigeons.
                        Thanks for the info. I wear prescription glasses, hopefully he'll be able to help me order lenses with prescription on it or show me how to do it on their web site.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Jules
                          Member
                          • Aug 2010
                          • 188

                          Yes, he will be able to do that. I bought my son's prescription lenses through the website, but a friend bought his through him the other day. He'll have them shipped to you when they're made. Probably wouldn't hurt to bring a copy of your prescription with you.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            ysr_racer
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2006
                            • 12014

                            When I bought my glasses he asked me to bring along my gun, vest, and hat so he could fit then to me while I was in my shooting gear.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Jermaine1
                              Junior Member
                              • Jun 2014
                              • 2

                              The Recent California Shooting?

                              Gimme perfect example of why antigun laws do not work and only protect the criminals. California has some of the most strict gun laws, if not the most strict.
                              billboard truck | led billboard truck

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1