Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

870 Express tac cleaning?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Gary O
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2005
    • 933

    870 Express tac cleaning?

    I just brought home one of these tac shotguns and removed it from the box. It now wears a Super Cell pad and tac flashlight. However, I have not cleaned it. I plan one setting it in the corner at home and using it for home invasion defense. Can I leave it as it came from the factory or do I strip it down and spiff it up? What say you? Thanks...
    Gary

    Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
  • #2
    m16
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2010
    • 2527

    It's a new firearm, clean, inspect and lube it up.

    I also suggest putting some rounds through it before relying on it as a home defense weapon.
    Marine Raider Foundation

    Comment

    • #3
      XVIga_Rob
      Senior Member
      • May 2012
      • 2354

      Originally posted by m16
      It's a new firearm, clean, inspect and lube it up.

      I also suggest putting some rounds through it before relying on it as a home defense weapon.
      What he said!!

      Congrats on your purchase! Now you just need to post the obligatory pic!

      Comment

      • #4
        anti
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2011
        • 2098

        Originally posted by m16
        It's a new firearm, clean, inspect and lube it up.

        I also suggest putting some rounds through it before relying on it as a home defense weapon.
        Yep, especially since Remington has been having a few quailty control issues with their 870's. Some parts not being staked in properly and such.

        Just get some aerosol CLP and spray it on a rag. Wipe ALL metal parts down really good and remove any factory grease/oil/fingerprints. Then wipe all metal parts down with a light coat of CLP on a large patch and keep a light film of oil on it at all times so it doesn't start to rust. It WILL rust a bit if you leave it sitting dry in humid environments. The furniture can be wiped clean with a lightly dampened rag.
        Truckers make the world go 'round!

        Interested in shooting Olympic trap? Join CICTSA! (CA International Clay Target Shooting Association)

        Comment

        • #5
          BuckshotBob
          Member
          • May 2013
          • 311

          I would definitely run some rounds through it to break it in. The 870 tactical was the first firearm I ever purchased. My fore-end jammed a couple times while firing it. It might have been me short stroking it but I ended up buying a non-MIM extractor for it to be reliable.

          Comment

          • #6
            Gary O
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2005
            • 933

            where do I find that extractor?
            Gary

            Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...

            Comment

            • #7
            • #8
            • #9
              bernieb90
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2007
              • 720

              As mentioned before definetly clean and test fire. Put at least 100 rounds of birdshot through it to make sure it feeds right.
              this will also allow you to check your light and verify it is running properly. Also put a few boxes of your chosen defensive load through there to make sure that there are no issues. i have seen some of the cheap winchester stuff stick in the chamber. Then clean lubricate with a very light coat of lubricant ( almost completely dry) for SHTF storage. Many 870 express models have issues out other box. My first one was great, but I had to adjust (bend) the shell lifter down slightly to get smooth feeding with my second one. Don't forget to clean out the magazine tube. There is sometimes quite a bit of thick packing lubricant in there that guns things up.
              Last edited by bernieb90; 02-02-2014, 7:38 PM.

              Comment

              • #10
                Volksgrenadier
                Senior Member
                • Oct 2009
                • 597



                Required reading for the 870 owner.
                sigpic

                Hunter S. Thompson
                The Great Shark Hunt: Strange Tales From a Strange Time

                Comment

                • #11
                  kraycat
                  Member
                  • Aug 2012
                  • 249

                  Originally posted by Volksgrenadier
                  http://www.aiptactical.com/Breaking_In_the_870.html

                  Required reading for the 870 owner.
                  Good read Thxs.

                  from inside the Jungle

                  Comment

                  • #12
                    toyotaguy
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2011
                    • 761

                    If I were you I'd run several hundred rounds through it, after seeing 2 different 870 Tacticals have extraction failures over and over at a Tactical shotgun class last fall I would be careful until it was fully tested.

                    Having said that, I borrowed a friends 870 Tactical for a different class earlier in the year and blew through 250 rounds without issue.
                    Last edited by toyotaguy; 02-02-2014, 9:32 PM.
                    sigpic
                    Proud NRA member.

                    Calguns Contributor

                    CRPA Member

                    Comment

                    • #13
                      Gary O
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2005
                      • 933

                      OK. I'm sold. Thanks for the advice...
                      Gary

                      Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...

                      Comment

                      • #14
                        calif 15-22
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Jan 2012
                        • 6050

                        I shot 100 rounds through my 870 tact then cleaned it. I've shot another 200 rounds from bird to slugs and it is flawless.

                        The only thing mine doesn't like is those steel casing Winchester Target loads. Silver casing expands and hard to cycle.

                        Anything with a brass casing is good to go.

                        The machined extractor vs stock Metal Injection Molded (MIM) is a bit overblown (if you ask me) but change it if it helps you sleep. There are thousands out there with no problems and a few with a broken one. So everyone changes them to be sure. Mine is still stock and I sleep just fine,

                        Shoot it bunch then break it down and check everything. How does it fit you with length of pull? I swapped my stock for the Magpul SGA and now it fits like a glove.

                        Good luck . . .
                        Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
                        It's one thing to question everything . . . It's entirely another thing to reject simple, rational explanations in favor of ever more fantastic and far reaching explanations because you've decided the government cannot be trusted.
                        Originally posted by Hoooper
                        Anyone who says the American dream requires a specific pay range doesn't understand the meaning of the American dream
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #15
                          kellyhachihachi
                          Senior Member
                          • Jun 2013
                          • 856

                          Originally posted by XVIga_Rob
                          What he said!!

                          Congrats on your purchase! Now you just need to post the obligatory pic!
                          Gotta make sure your toes are in the picture too! haha

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1