Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Submerged shotgun

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • rbddmd
    Junior Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 1

    Submerged shotgun

    My Benelli black eagle 2 shotgun became fully submerged in freshwater last weekend while duck hunting in MO. I've broken it down as much as I can easily and sprayed it out with Breakfree CLP and dried it as best I could. Is there anything else special I need to do?
    Thanks
  • #2
    robcoe
    Calguns Addict
    • Apr 2010
    • 8685

    not really, firearms are a lot tougher than people give them credit for(you wouldn't believe the mud and grime my field AR(the non target rifle, the one I am willing to beat up) has gone through and keeps on ticking including full on salt water dunks).

    just make sure to clean everything inside and out, and get the magazine tube good and clean, not sure if that one has a gas tube but if it does clean it out, otherwise you should be good with a detail cleaning.
    Yes, I am an electrical engineer.
    No, I will not fix your computer.

    Comment

    • #3
      ERdept
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      CGN Contributor
      • Apr 2009
      • 4698

      No man, if there is wood, that's the more important than the metalworks.

      The wood may swell. But the metal, just clean, dry and oil.

      Comment

      • #4
        Spyder
        CGN Contributor
        • Mar 2008
        • 17269

        I have a 500 that a friend dropped in the river once. He didn't clean it before giving it back to me, and the inside of the magazine tube was rusted. I used a small engine 3 stone hone and a drill to clean it out so that it would feed. If he had cleaned it, it would have been just fine.

        Shotguns, especially duck guns, are meant for rough weather!

        Comment

        • #5
          actium31
          Member
          • Jun 2012
          • 403

          You should be OK with a good cleaning... The Breakfree will displace the water in all the right places. So...... How'd your gun become "fully submerged"?? You left that portion out! I'm thinking you took a nasty, ungraceful digger;-)

          Comment

          • #6
            tmh1
            Kitchen Operator
            CGN Contributor
            • Nov 2012
            • 1903

            Originally posted by actium31
            So...... How'd your gun become "fully submerged"?? You left that portion out! I'm thinking you took a nasty, ungraceful digger;-)
            Boating accident!
            sigpic
            "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

            Comment

            • #7
              Barbarossa
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2008
              • 4436

              I've taken a fall in the duck pond a few times.

              Make sure the barrel is clear, and continue on.

              After the hunt, just do the same thing you would do after hunting in the rain.

              I like to use WD40, after drying the gun as best as possible.
              I spray it heavy, and leave the gun barrel down with a rag under it, to let the oil run down the barrel from the action.
              After an hour or so, I'll wipe out all the excess WD, then clean as normal.
              Don't forget to pull and oil the choke tube as well, or they can rust fast.
              Looking for a 3" Magnum 870 $200-$250ish

              Comment

              • #8
                Thefeeder
                Calguns Addict
                • Jun 2007
                • 5007

                ><

                Ater a day of duck hunting in rain (might as well be under water) take off the barrel, wipe down....place on a towel in a warm oven (100 deg) . yes wood stock and all, oil , done. After 15 seasons the Wingmaster still looks great

                Comment

                • #9
                  JaMail
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2009
                  • 1897

                  you wouldnt believe what BCT does to M16's I guess now its all M4's, when i went through in 92, after crawling in the mud for a day in the rain, the rifles were caked, top to bottom in the actions, barrels and everything.

                  DI's had us field strip them, put the uppers on one hanger and the lowers on another and dip them in big drums of almost boiling water for a few minutes, take them out then oil them down and then go on business as usual.
                  Jason M- My 5 year old is a NRA life member, are you?

                  WTB: Stoeger Condor Competition Combo (I'll trade 1911's or other handguns)

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    bigbearbear
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jun 2011
                    • 5378

                    Originally posted by Thefeeder
                    Ater a day of duck hunting in rain (might as well be under water) take off the barrel, wipe down....place on a towel in a warm oven (100 deg) . yes wood stock and all, oil , done. After 15 seasons the Wingmaster still looks great
                    This is worth doing I think, the only places I would be concerned with on a Benelli SBE II would be the magazine tube and the recoil spring tube (where the "tail" on your bolt group goes into). These 2 parts are difficult to get into and water might have gotten in.

                    It'll be good to field strip it, remove the recoil pad and the bolt, and put just the receiver/mag tube with the stock into the oven to try and dry out those hard-to-get-to parts.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      hattles
                      Senior Member
                      • Feb 2010
                      • 519

                      Originally posted by rbddmd
                      My Benelli black eagle 2 shotgun became fully submerged in freshwater last weekend while duck hunting in MO. I've broken it down as much as I can easily and sprayed it out with Breakfree CLP and dried it as best I could. Is there anything else special I need to do?
                      Thanks
                      It's a Benelli! Dry it, oil er up and shoot the dickens outta the ducks!

                      I've dropped my SBE in the drink on several occasions...dumped the residual water from it, made sure the barrel was clear and continued shooting without a hic-up. Oh, I did a thorough clean job after the shoot.
                      If I ever stop laughing, I'm dead.
                      The shooting star - Tom Knapp
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9jUkOAvP9g

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        TRAP55
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Jul 2008
                        • 5536

                        Wood stocked guns that go for a dip, should have the stocks separated from the gun, all hardware removed, and allowed to thoroughly air dry. Any that have been submerged for more than an hour, especially with a poly finish, need to be watched as they dry. Any discoloration on the wood, and you need to strip every bit of finish off it ASAP!
                        When water gets into the wood from unsealed areas, it gets trapped under the finish, and it gets a greenhouse effect. That will cause a black mold, and that stains the wood as it lifts the finish and cracks the stock.
                        Barbarossa, WD-40 is good stuff and has a purpose, but please, not on guns! It turns to varnish over time, and eventually gums up an action. I just spent two days cleaning it out of a pump, and an auto, that completely stopped functioning from it. Nothing else was wrong with them.
                        CLP BreakFree is your friend, it's a silicon based gun specific oil that displaces water.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Newshooter
                          Senior Member
                          • Apr 2010
                          • 1171

                          Originally posted by Thefeeder
                          Ater a day of duck hunting in rain (might as well be under water) take off the barrel, wipe down....place on a towel in a warm oven (100 deg) . yes wood stock and all, oil , done. After 15 seasons the Wingmaster still looks great
                          I don't believe the Benelli has a wood stock. Typically those have synthetics. Not real sure how a synthetic stock would take to an oven.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            duckman1
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Aug 2009
                            • 3780

                            I have seen guys hose them out and off after a day in the blind. Break it down, dry it thoroughly, and lube it you are good to go.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              M1NM
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Oct 2011
                              • 7966

                              Water displacement formula 40 = WD40. It's what was designed for. Great to have along in the field - you can clean it off after you get home with regular gun oil.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1