Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Stainless Steel Shotgun

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jimmy D.
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2013
    • 2

    Stainless Steel Shotgun

    Does a stainless steel shotgun exist, not chrome, not nickel, but stainless?

    I live on My boat in salt water. I'm looking for a stainless 12 ga. to compliment my stainless mini-14 and .380 Sig Sauer. I'm 2 for 0 with the pirates at this time and would like to keep my no loss lead. I have just enough room in my stainless gun safe on board for a shotgun. I would like an extended mag and I'll configure the stock as I go, preferably a folding stock.

    Any help appreciated;

    JD
  • #2
    RPVFlyer
    Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 408

    Don't know about stainless shotguns but you have an interesting life for sure

    Comment

    • #3
      dominic
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2008
      • 3038

      Mossberg makes a model 500 called the mariner. Its made for boats. http://www.mossberg.com/product/shot...-mariner/52340

      Comment

      • #4
        CK_32
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Sep 2010
        • 14369

        870 marine








        Edit: Never mind. I saw you don't want nickel plated....
        For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

        What's Your Caliber??


        My Youtube channel

        Comment

        • #5
          Jimmy D.
          Junior Member
          • Nov 2013
          • 2

          So far the suggestions are Mariner 500, Mossberg and the Remington Mariner 870, both are nickel plated and not stainless, but thanks, I'll keep looking.

          Yes RPVFLER, I lead an interesting life, both pre and post retirement. The hard part is hanging onto what you have legitimately earned. Living in warm tropical waters is challenging, everyone wants your stuff!

          Comment

          • #6
            dominic
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2008
            • 3038

            Originally posted by Jimmy D.
            So far the suggestions are Mariner 500, Mossberg and the Remington Mariner 870, both are nickel plated and not stainless, but thanks, I'll keep looking.
            The mossberg mariner isn't nickel but marinecoted stainless steel.

            Comment

            • #7
              Roland Deschain
              CGSSA Leader
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Aug 2012
              • 5756

              Originally posted by dominic
              The mossberg mariner isn't nickel but marinecoted stainless steel.
              I thought it was marinecoated nickel. http://www.basspro.com/Mossberg-500-...duct/10217918/

              In any case my parents have had a Mariner on their boat for years and it's never had any rust issues.
              Last edited by Roland Deschain; 11-17-2013, 10:59 AM.
              sigpic

              NRA life member, CRPA member and, SAF life member -- Holsters & High Heels (Facebook - YouTube)



              (Matthew 16:26)

              Comment

              • #8
                Vertigofirearms
                Member
                • Mar 2013
                • 430

                winchester 1200 stainless
                Originally posted by SBCZILLA (ARFCOM)
                Its a ****in tube, one end capped, one end threaded. Dont over think it.

                Comment

                • #9
                  11011500a
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 940

                  Winchester 1300 is another one to look at

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    sealocan
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Mar 2012
                    • 9956

                    come on Jimmy, let's have at least one of the two pirate stories.


                    Stoeger makes/made a double barrel call the "coach gun supreme".that has a stainless receiver and nickel plated barrels.
                    I also think there's English gun firm that makes fine $$$ double barrel ,side by side shotguns with stainless steel.
                    I know, you're probably not looking for double barrel with the pirates and all but at least it would
                    "make it sporting."

                    and depending if you live in a free state or not I would be thinking .50 caliber or at least a .308 maybe a M-14 variant if you like your Ruger mini 14. I mean just for the magazine capacity alone it has got to help you.
                    I mean you never hear of LONE pirate attack its always pirateS (plural).
                    not that I know anything about fighting pirates. For instance, is there ever a concern about shooting a hole in your own boat during firefight,
                    say after they boarded.
                    because her friend told me from his personal experience a shotgun makes a hole big enough in the boat ,with just one round, that the bilge pump can't compensate and pump out water fast enough.
                    ...I know tragic boating accident... and the tragedy this time was...no one made up a story about guns going down after the boat sank.


                    I wish you the best on your search.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Spyguy
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Apr 2009
                      • 7378

                      I've always wondered why stainless shotguns are virtually nonexistent. It seems that all the Marine models are plated steel. I can only assume it must have to do with thickness and strength of the barrel. But even that doesn't why the action, receiver, and other parts are not stainless.
                      Justice Alex Kozinski, 9th US Circuit Crt of Appeals

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        cwilliams
                        Senior Member
                        • Jun 2012
                        • 1244

                        My quick bit of research on the Google machine turns up information that the nickel plated steel on shotguns holds up better to corrosion than stainless steel. There is also a reaction that occurs when you combine aluminum (receiver) with the stainless steel barrel.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          spitter3
                          Member
                          • Jun 2007
                          • 244



                          The Nova H2O pump tactical shotgun utilizes a polymer stock and receiver, open rifle sights. The barrel is made of corrosion-resistant
                          stainless steel, magazine tube and cap, trigger group and that’s nickel plated to ensure that it keeps working in even the harshest conditions.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            sean2013
                            Junior Member
                            • Oct 2013
                            • 11

                            The manufacturing procedure is optimized for a certain kind of material. Making a stainless steel shotgun may require reforming a whole production line.

                            And there's no guarantee of performance or reliability unless the design specs are recalculated for the different(mostly reduced) strength and hardness.

                            A stainless steel barrel and a receiver might be the easy part. What about the bolt, firing pin, the springs?

                            They just don't want go through the trouble when some kind of corrosion-resistant plating does the same job, if not better.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              MA5177
                              Senior Member
                              • Apr 2011
                              • 1487

                              Stainless can rust too, I would personally get one of the marine versions of those guns mentioned

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1