Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Recoil Reducing Stock for MOssberg 500

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • RedFord150
    Calguns Addict
    • Oct 2009
    • 5665

    Recoil Reducing Stock for MOssberg 500

    I have owned the 8 Shot Mossberg 500 with 20" barrel for a few years now. Only thing I have added is a sling.
    I was thinking about adding the Knoxx Stock to reduce recoil and shorten the LOP a bit.
    Is the Knoxx stock the best choice?
    For you guys that have actually shot with the Knoxx, how noticeable is the difference in recoil?
    I am always wanting to keep the cost down. Is there a lower priced option to the Knoxx?
    Any help is appreciated.
    God Did Not Create All Men Equal, Colonel Colt Did.
  • #2
    watevers1
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2013
    • 809

    i have the mesa tactical leo kit on my shottie and i do think it helps a lot. i haven't had too much experience with my shotgun yet, but after 50 rnds, my shoulder doesn't get sore or anything.

    Comment

    • #3
      Goop
      Member
      • Jul 2011
      • 196

      I own a moss 500 as well and i find there are 2 things that made recoil easier.

      1) Any type of tactical stock that includes a pistol grip along with the rear stock. This includes Knoxx however i couldn't really tell the difference between it and the cheaper ATI one i tried. Basically being able to send the energy to hand and shoulder at same time is what makes the difference.

      2) Just flat out add more weight to the stock. I now use an ATI "Akita" stock (which are quite heavy synthetic). Probably twice if not three time heavier than standard stock. Doesn't have pistol grip but recoil is much easier. I like the look a bit more too.
      Last edited by Goop; 08-29-2013, 4:57 PM.

      Comment

      • #4
        Milsurps
        Senior Member
        • May 2010
        • 2232

        Originally posted by RedFord150
        Is the Knoxx stock the best choice?

        Any help is appreciated.

        Knoxx Recoil Shotgun Stocks Suck" by Nutnfancy

        I agree with NF.

        Had one, sold it. My cheek has since healed.

        YMMV
        sigpic
        Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

        NRA Patron Member
        NRA Range Safety Officer
        California Rifle & Pistol Association Member


        I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions.
        كافر

        Comment

        • #5
          negolien
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2010
          • 4829

          I concur with the above just get a limbsaver or the Mako adjustable GLR AR style stock for LoP adjustments + Limbsaver. Different people have different experience with the recoil reducing stock Appi swears by em so /shrug if you got the money give it a shot.
          "Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

          George Orwell

          http://www.AnySoldier.com

          Comment

          • #6
            LightsOut!
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2012
            • 2503

            This one is good by BlackHawk. Shoot slugs with a breeze.

            Comment

            • #7
              jmaglipay
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2007
              • 1360

              I had a gen 1 knoxx stock on my mossberg 500 for a few years. It tamed the recoil quite a bit. It was shooting full loads for buck shot and slugs all day without killing my shoulder. It also shorten the LOP by 3inch. Only disadvantage of using a pistol grip on a mossberg for me is that I have to move my trigger finger away to engage the safety. I recently changed mine back to the hogue short LOP traditional stock.

              Comment

              • #8
                prc77
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2008
                • 2578

                Originally posted by jmaglipay
                I had a gen 1 knoxx stock on my mossberg 500 for a few years. It tamed the recoil quite a bit. It was shooting full loads for buck shot and slugs all day without killing my shoulder. It also shorten the LOP by 3inch. Only disadvantage of using a pistol grip on a mossberg for me is that I have to move my trigger finger away to engage the safety. I recently changed mine back to the hogue short LOP traditional stock.
                nearly the same for me, The Knoxx does work, but I prefer the Hogue 12 LOP.
                C Co. 509th ABN/PFDR
                83-85

                USPSA CRO
                MEMBER: USPSA, GSSF, Richmond Rod & Gun, Sunnyvale Rod & Gun


                sigpic

                Comment

                • #9
                  jpdlaw
                  Junior Member
                  • Apr 2012
                  • 37

                  Blackhawk Compstock

                  I installed the traditional type Blackhawk Compstock on my Mossberg 500. It isn't really noticeable when shooting 2.5" target loads (7 1/2 shot). But it is a noticeable reduction in recoil when shooting slugs or 00 buckshot. Others who shot the gun also noticed the reduced recoil and liked the stock. No problems with the cheek bite that others report for the tactical/adjustable model. I use the standard sling attachments that came with the gun without any problem, although it might seem like it would interfere with the recoil operation. I like it and am glad I replaced the original stock with it.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    mossy
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Dec 2007
                    • 7432

                    I have one on my 590 and love it. people will tell you they are great or they suck, try to find someone who has one and test it.
                    best troll thread in calguns history
                    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=406739



                    burn the circus down cuz the world is full of clowns

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      strongpoint
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2010
                      • 3115

                      i haven't used the knoxx so i can't really compare, but i have the mesa system installed on a 590A1, and it's great -- pricey, but great. highly recommended.
                      .

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Frito Bandido
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2012
                        • 718

                        On my 590A1 20", I've tried the following:

                        12" Hogue with Limbsaver pad

                        Knoxx CompStock (traditional style, not the pistol grip style).

                        12" Hogue with Limbsaver is good, CompStock is twice as good. As long as you hold the Mossberg the way it's supposed to be held (keep your thumb on the safety and don't wrap it around the stock), it makes shooting birdshot feel like a 22. I have yet to try buckshot or slugs out of it, but from what I've heard it makes them feel like birdshot.

                        I can't comment on the pistol grip Knoxx stock because I never tried it... I think alot of people just see Nutnfancy's review on the pistol grip version and don't bother thinking about the traditional style Compstock.
                        Last edited by Frito Bandido; 08-30-2013, 8:08 AM.
                        ~ El Frito

                        Are you a Fascist and don't even realize it? Find out! https://www.idrlabs.com/8-values-political/test.php

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Bazerkly
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Sep 2010
                          • 164

                          A couple suggestions, first try a ported choke. I have had excellent result with gel pads in my vest! You can always try a lighter load?

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            RedFord150
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Oct 2009
                            • 5665

                            Thanks for all of the great suggestions.
                            My Mossy 500 is a Special Make-up sold by Big 5. It already has a very thick rubber buttpad. I am not sure how this compares to the limbsaver.
                            Some of you guys like the Mesa and ATI stuff. I had not really looked at these products as much as the Knoxx. I had looked at the Hogue products at great length.
                            I will try to compare the tactical adjustable to the compstock to see how I can avoid the cheekbite some of you describe.
                            This SG is for HD. I want to be able to shoot 00 Buck and slugs with ease. No plans to go to a lighter load. If I want to shoot clays, I have a Beretta O/U that is obviously way better than a 20" pump. As suggested, I do use Winchester AA 'Featherweights' on the skeet range. Yes, the lighter load does reduce recoil.
                            Since this is an HD gun, I would not rely on always having a shooting vest handy.
                            Several of my friends have short-barreled pumps. This includes Remington, Mossberg, Winchester, and even Ithaca. Not one shooter I know personally has changed the OEM stock. This makes it hard for me to actually get a 'test drive'.
                            Anyway, you guys have given me lots of good options. I will do some research and make the right choice.
                            Thanks again.
                            God Did Not Create All Men Equal, Colonel Colt Did.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              supermario
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 4569

                              If you just buy some low recoil buckshot, it will make the world of difference.
                              I tried federal low recoil and it was way less than even #7birdshot.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1