Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Rifled Choke Barrel vs. Cylinder Choke Barrel

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • pdude
    Member
    • Feb 2011
    • 384

    Rifled Choke Barrel vs. Cylinder Choke Barrel

    Anyone can explain this to me?

    I have seen the difference of chokes for different applications. However, looking at some barrels as I see barrels listed as rifle and cylinder. Is this just the choke that they give you as part of the barrel, but the barrels are essentially the same?

    For example,
    87014 Nova 12ga Ramped Front Sight, 18.5" Barrel, 3.5" Chamber, CYL Choke, S-Matte
    87015 Nova 12ga Ramped Front Sight, 18.5" Barrel, 3.5" Chamber, Rifled Choke, S-Matte

    (But I've read that the chokes are removeable)
  • #2
    HOGLEG
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2012
    • 913

    They make rifle barrels and smooth barrels. The rifle barrels are for shooting slugs. The smooth bore will shoot slugs or shot.

    Then they make chokes for the smooth bore barrels. Different chokes provide a means to change the pattern of the shot at a given distance.

    To increase the accuracy of the smooth bore barrel when using slugs, a rifled choke tube is available. It screws in the end of a shotgun barrel that has been threaded to accept choke tubes.

    Comment

    • #3
      pdude
      Member
      • Feb 2011
      • 384

      Oh Thanks! So rifle barrels are for slugs. Can you shoot shot out of that too? I'm assuming no. I guess for hunting with slugs.

      So that other barrel must be a smooth bore which can shoot both slugs and shot (bird/buck), by just changing the choke.

      I think I got it now.

      Comment

      • #4
        Coyotegunner
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2011
        • 1353

        Hogleg pretty much says it all,but as a example;
        I have a Hastings rifled barrel on a Rem 1100.It is made to spin a slug,preferably a sabot.It is extremely accurate.This barrel is not made for shooting any kind of shot.
        I also have a rifled screw in choke on another gun.It is made for slugs only as well.Not shot.
        These rifled barrels could have shot fired and who knows what or where the pattern may go with shot.
        With a open cylinder choke,slugs as well as shot can be fired.The pattern will be large with shot.Slugs may not be that accurate.Kind of a trade off for something that does everything.The good old lead slugs have somewhat of a rifling pattern to them.As they move down the unrestricted barrel and out the end they are forced to spin somewhat,by contact with the sides of the barrel.
        I have a friend with a Mossburg 500 and he uses a 18.5 open cylinder barrel,bead sight with the lead slugs.My eyesight is not this good. He obtains 4" groups at 100 yds.
        A open cylinder will fire slugs and buck shot fine.Keep in mind as the distance of the target increases,the pattern of shot begins to open a great deal.
        If a person is buying a gun for 1 purpose,a fixed/non replaceable choke barrel is fine.
        If the person wants to multi task the gun get one with replaceable chokes.
        Most choke information I have read is a guideline only,but the above is kind of a given.Getting along with Carlsons Choke Tube company,I have called them alot over the years.They also thread barrels as well for chokes.I will mention the guideline again.I bought a couple of Carlsons dead coyote choke tubes recently on close out.They were returns from Black Cloud.The tight pattern is what I was after with 4 buck.In a 28" barrel they hit 2 ft low at 50 yds though.By the way recoil is substantial..I had been using a modified factory choke before to hit point of aim.I would ruin the choke and maybe the barrel or myself if I used slugs in these.
        I recommend since you are asking,make sure what ever you get has removable choke tubes.If you are unsure of what you are looking at,ask the saleperson to show you before purchase.
        To have a barrel threaded and usually a choke or 3 is included,for around $150 plus shipping.Contact someone like Carlsons before purchase of a non threaded barrel.They have minimum wall thickness that they can thread.
        Good luck and happy hunting.

        Comment

        • #5
          Dattebayo
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2013
          • 2344

          Originally posted by pdude
          Oh Thanks! So rifle barrels are for slugs. Can you shoot shot out of that too? I'm assuming no. I guess for hunting with slugs.

          So that other barrel must be a smooth bore which can shoot both slugs and shot (bird/buck), by just changing the choke.

          I think I got it now.
          Well the way that you listed the info, it looked like the barrels were fixed chokes. Bore cylinder means no choke at all. It works for all types of slugs and shot.

          Rifled barrels are good for slugs and benefit the slugs that have rifling the most. If you fired shot out of the rifled barrel, you will end up with a doughnut shaped pattern with shot in an outer ring with nothing in the middle.

          Comment

          • #6
            200Apples
            -DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Dec 2011
            • 7217

            Rifled barrels are good for slugs and benefit the slugs that have rifling the most.

            My sources indicate the contrary, my good man.

            Rifled shotgun barrels may have increased tendency to foul when using rifled slugs. Sabots, on the other hand, are usually smooth and it is these smooth sabots that may see the most benefit in accuracy when ejected from a rifled barrel.

            A rifled lead slug is rifled to induce rotation when ejected from a smooth shotgun bore.

            I've asked these questions (as have others) before, and it seems that we receive varying opinions on the matter. For instance, there may be little wrong in shooting a rifled lead slug from a rifled barrel, but will the two "twists" compliment each other? or will the combination greatly increase galling and fouling?

            I for one choose to err on the safe side. Hell, cleaning a smooth bore barrel after shooting 40 rifled slugs is a real biotch! I would like to hear others' techniques used to tackle that job.

            :lol:
            .
            "Get a proper holster, and go hot. The End." - SplitHoof

            NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked

            Comment

            Working...
            UA-8071174-1