Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Refinishing an old Remington 1889

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • drkphibr
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2010
    • 2462

    Refinishing an old Remington 1889

    Picked up an old (~1900 based on SN) Remington SxS double hammer (last model to have them) shotgun in decent shape. No major damage to the barrels, all the parts seem to be original (according to the matching SN's), but it's "weathered".

    I believe the original receiver was color case hardened and the barrels were blued (this is the decarbonized steel version, Grade 1). All things considered, it's in quite decent condition.

    I would like to restore it, but I don't want to spend $3,000 on a $500 shotgun. I'd like to keep the original stock as it has character, so I'm not looking to have a show piece shotgun. I just think it's a cool, old piece of history that I'd like to breathe (by a professional who knows what they are doing) new life into it as I'm not concerned about that "value" of keeping it original (looks like someone over the years tried to strip the finish as it looks like a stainless gun now, minus the hint of the coloring that's still in the steel).

    Any recommendations other than Turnbull (LOVE their work, just can't afford their work and the cost of what they would refer to as a "restoration").

    In short, I'd like to:
    1. Have the steel "cleaned up"
    2. Receiver color case hardened for a finish
    3. Barrels blued
    4. stock "refreshed"

    Maybe a mini-restoration, with my definition of "restoration" being nice quality but not collector grade ultra perfect/LNIB. I do not want a hack, but I don't need a Ferrari paint job for a Fiat.

    Last edited by drkphibr; 03-03-2013, 9:07 AM.
  • #2
    shotcaller6
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2009
    • 677

    Got any pics?

    Comment

    • #3
      drkphibr
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2010
      • 2462

      added a pic

      Comment

      Working...
      UA-8071174-1