Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

looking at cheap shotguns

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • highdensity10
    Junior Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 43

    looking at cheap shotguns

    Someone suggested to new that a mossberg combo would be my best bet for my first gun in terms of versatility to price. The local gun shop can't get their hands on one but they have a Remington 887 in stock. I'm sure the price will be a little higher but they haven't let me know what the tag says. I have a 100 dollar gift certificate to this store expiring next month. Will I be at least equally happy with the Remington or should I try to get my certificate extended and hold out for the mossberg?
  • #2
    winnre
    Calguns Addict
    • Apr 2010
    • 9214

    I wanted the 887 but the feel of the plastic coating is cheap. I say avoid it, get a standard Remington 870 or Mossberg 500.
    "If Jesus had a gun he would be alive today"-Homer Simpson

    Comment

    • #3
      mossy
      Calguns Addict
      • Dec 2007
      • 7432

      Just get the 870 or 500.
      best troll thread in calguns history
      http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=406739



      burn the circus down cuz the world is full of clowns

      Comment

      • #4
        NapalmCheese
        Calguns Addict
        • Feb 2011
        • 5958

        Between the Mossberg 500 and the 870 Express I'd pick the Mossberg as I'm not impressed with the last couple of years worth of 870 expresses. I also don't care for the 887.
        Calguns.net, where everyone responding to your post is a Navy Force Delta Recon 6 Sniperator.

        Comment

        • #5
          hammer74
          Member
          • Jun 2012
          • 196

          i hv a mossberg 500 and have no regrets.
          NRA member
          CGf contributor
          Frontsight Ambassador
          CGN contributor

          Comment

          • #6
            esy
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2012
            • 1197

            I have a 500 combo and a Maverick 88. Both are great and wouldn't change them. However, the 870s are also pretty nice. Don't know a whole lot about the 887, but if i were to get a Remingtong, it'd be an 870.

            Comment

            • #7
              rodeoflyer
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2010
              • 1064

              I recently bought an 870 because I wanted a reliable pump field gun. Given its long history and the fact that I previously owned one it was a no brainer.

              I looked tab the 887, and everything I could find led me to believe it has been plagued with teething issues. Not the kind of gun I want at any price.

              The Mossberg 500 combo is well worth the price if you can hold out. Otherwise I'd stick with the 870 or a Winny 1300 if you can find one.
              Originally posted by jonnyt16
              I know the safety nazis will kill me for this, but there's nothing like a mag dump of .223 tracer rounds at night out of your AR with a little bit of firewater in your system. Man what a feeling!

              Comment

              • #8
                negolien
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2010
                • 4829

                if you want a cheap one that's for more than just home defense you need.

                1. The Combo that's for sale sometimes at big5. it includes an 19 1/2" barrel and a longer barrel that can be used for skeet, trap and hunting.

                2. A remington 870 and you'll need to buy a seperate longer barrel.

                If you want a cheap SG for home defense the Hawk, Stevans and I think ther is one mre that you can usually find at big5. Sports authority also has some very low priced Shot Guns.
                "Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

                George Orwell

                http://www.AnySoldier.com

                Comment

                • #9
                  highdensity10
                  Junior Member
                  • Jan 2013
                  • 43

                  The price tag on the 887 is $465.00 (they are selling for ABOVE msrp? is that normal for gun dealers? Remington site says $436)

                  Cabela's is selling them for $349


                  I am simply just frustrated at the timing in which I received the gift certificate

                  The only thing nice I see about the 887 as compared to the mossberg is that it has a 3-1/2" chamber.

                  Other than that, the price for the mossberg is just really hard to beat IMO. $449 at Cabelas for the combo.


                  Sorry about all the goofy questions. First time buying a gun, and these guys are the only shop in town and brand new at that.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    rman
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2012
                    • 2267

                    Mossy 500 is next on my list... Persuader or cruiser 12-

                    Sent from my Apple Android

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Gutz
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                      • Jan 2013
                      • 4127

                      Might get flamed for this but......


                      I have a Stevens 320. $225 from Big 5. About 300 shells and zero issues. Quiality is descent. Compared it to my cousin's Super Nova and my barell thickness is about twice as his. If you aren't tryin to spend a bunch, it's an option.
                      1A - 2A= -1A :(

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        WokMaster1
                        Part time Emperor
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Mar 2006
                        • 5436

                        Originally posted by highdensity10
                        Someone suggested to new that a mossberg combo would be my best bet for my first gun in terms of versatility to price. The local gun shop can't get their hands on one but they have a Remington 887 in stock. I'm sure the price will be a little higher but they haven't let me know what the tag says. I have a 100 dollar gift certificate to this store expiring next month. Will I be at least equally happy with the Remington or should I try to get my certificate extended and hold out for the mossberg?
                        Gift certs have no expiring dates in CA. It is paid for & treated like cash. Unless it is a raffle gift cert for a donation.
                        "Good friends, good food & good wine. Anything else is just a waste of soy sauce.":)

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          highdensity10
                          Junior Member
                          • Jan 2013
                          • 43

                          Originally posted by WokMaster1
                          Gift certs have no expiring dates in CA. It is paid for & treated like cash. Unless it is a raffle gift cert for a donation.
                          I understand this, but it does have an expiration date on it. It wasn't a given gift certificate, my wife won it as a radio prize. It does say gift certificate on it.


                          Any input on gun dealers selling for above MSRP ? Is that normal?

                          I know in my line of work we never do that.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            esy
                            Senior Member
                            • Apr 2012
                            • 1197

                            yes, the gun and ammo craze is causing the increased prices on everything.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              bbguns44
                              Senior Member
                              • Oct 2006
                              • 1182

                              If they won't give you an extension then you need to buy something that's
                              not over priced so you can resell it later, thereby effectively getting an
                              extension on the gift certificate.

                              Big 5 had the mossberg maverick for $190.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1