Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Slightly different advice for a beginner - 1st steps trap shooting?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SmithAndJohnson
    Member
    • Dec 2007
    • 251

    Slightly different advice for a beginner - 1st steps trap shooting?

    I know there's another advice-for-a-beginner thread going on right now... but I'd like to frame my question slightly differently to get a more specific answer.

    On Wednesday, I pick up my Mossberg 500 combo. My original intention with my first shotgun was to practice at the range from time to time and keep it for HD.

    Since I started my 10 days, the itch has grown a little... and I'm thinking of shooting trap.

    So pretend I want to learn to shoot trap. I load the car with my shotgun with 28" barrel, eyes and ears, and a shell pouch. Where do I go to learn?

    The only range I've been to that has trap (Sunnyvale R&GC) tends to be busy with people who already know what they're doing. While the folks in the trap area are generally polite and encourage me to watch (which I've done), I definitely don't get the feeling they're there to *teach*. Where can I go and who can I pay for basic instruction in trap shooting?
    Rule #3 - Keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire.
    BillCA: "keep yer booger hook off the bang switch!"
  • #2
    ghideon
    Member
    • Apr 2006
    • 403

    I'd say try skeet first (I've been shooting skeet since I was 8). I feel that it may be easier to learn that way. See if you can get a range and a puller to yourself, and just start on stations 1 and 7 (where they go straight away from you). After getting good with that, start moving around the other stations. I find trap is a little harder to learn than skeet is.

    Los Altos does trap, as does Richmond. USI in Concord has both skeet and trap. Coyote Valley (I think that's what it's called) in Morgan Hill does skeet, trap and clays.

    Comment

    • #3
      Baron
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2007
      • 797

      Livermore Rod and Gun Club has some really good Trap ranges, all voice activated.
      I'd say find some friends who'd like to go and go as a group.

      I love shooting trap and Livermore is the only range I've been to for trap shooting. I'd like to try out Los Altos Trap range some time... Seems how I think their range is my over all favorite... Plus you can use a shotgun on their 40 yard Tin can range.... Fun Fun Fun... LOL

      I wouldn't mind trying out Los Altos with ya, maybe we could get a few Calgunners together to shoot some trap with.
      Last edited by Baron; 03-17-2008, 1:21 PM.
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .


      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        edbon9
        Member
        • Oct 2005
        • 133

        next time you go to sunnyvale talk to the trap captain and tell him
        you are a new shooter and see if he can recomend an experienced
        shooter to give you a few pointers, usually trap #2 is used by the
        competitive shooters if you see anyone shooting there, strike up
        a conversation and ask them for tips, most of them will be glad
        to help. Livermore has a great trap range, targets are easier than
        sunnyvale to a degree , Metcalf also has trap either on tuesday
        or wednesday, call the range and ask, you will be able to get
        help from the shooters at metcalf as well.

        Comment

        • #5
          vinny_land
          CGN Contributor
          • Dec 2007
          • 3374

          Originally posted by ghideon
          I'd say try skeet first (I've been shooting skeet since I was 8). I feel that it may be easier to learn that way. See if you can get a range and a puller to yourself, and just start on stations 1 and 7 (where they go straight away from you). After getting good with that, start moving around the other stations. I find trap is a little harder to learn than skeet is.
          Los Altos does trap, as does Richmond. USI in Concord has both skeet and trap. Coyote Valley (I think that's what it's called) in Morgan Hill does skeet, trap and clays.
          How does the analogy go?

          skeet= easy to learn but hard to master?
          trap= hard to learn but easy to master?
          "1911 mag, twinkie, twinkie, cupcake, primary weapon mag"

          sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            UBFRAGD
            Banned
            • Aug 2007
            • 2701

            I have to admit the serious shooters at Sunnyvale GC are a little intimidating......they have the gear and know what they are doing......just let the rangemaster know yer a noob but interested and I can almost guarantee you will have a great time.......I showed up clueless one day about six months ago and I make the drive down from SF whenever I get a free sunday.......cheap fun, very scenic, if you don't get all shot out on clays head up to the pistol range and bang some steel........

            I also have had really great luck at Richmond, they have been willing to launch clays just for me, the clays launch in a much more varied pattern than you'll find elsewhere and can be a little more erratic since you're shooting right on the water!!!! It's great!!! They have let me go through a box of 25 as fast as I can which I really enjoy........

            Take my comments with a grain of salt since I dabble in all kinds of shooting sports and am expert at none........Go to Sunnyvale, only load a round when it's your turn, you'll be glad you bought your Mossie.......

            Later!!

            Comment

            • #7
              aplinker
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Feb 2007
              • 16762

              Don't let yourself be intimidated. I understand the feeling.

              Livermore is excellent. I never had the chance to shoot Sunnyvale when I was in NorCal.

              Just follow the advice above. Load only 1 round, wait until it's your turn. Try to be ready for your turn.

              Go when the range is less crowded (afternoons tend to thin the crowd). Ask to shoot a round alone, and ask for advice.

              There's not much "teaching" that can be done on the line.

              Google Map of OLL Dealers

              List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
              Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
              This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.

              Comment

              • #8
                SmithAndJohnson
                Member
                • Dec 2007
                • 251

                Thanks for all your guys' advice. I'll probably get used to the new girl at Reeds this weekend (and possibly next) before heading up to Sunnyvale.

                One question - and I feel like a super mega n00b for asking this one - what is the difference between trap and skeet? I didn't realize until someone here pointed it out that I've used the terms interchangeably my whole life. My Google and Wiki-fu isn't quickly revealing the answer either.

                They both use "clay pigeons", but what's the other differences?

                Is one "shooter activated" and the other catches the shooter off guard?
                Rule #3 - Keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire.
                BillCA: "keep yer booger hook off the bang switch!"

                Comment

                • #9
                  ghideon
                  Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • 403

                  Trap has five of you standing behind the house. The arm inside the house is constantly moving, up, down, left, right. When you call the bird, it'll come out of the house in a different direction (but going away from you of course).

                  In skeet, there is a high house (spits birds out high and sinking) and a low house (low and rising). These arms do not move. Instead, you move around 8 stations in a semi circle.



                  At station 1, you have your back against the high house. First bird is a high. It's going straight away from you, so you do not have to lead it. Line it up and pull the trigger. Next is low house, coming straight at you and will pass you on your left. Lead for this bird is only a few inches. Then doubles (which for a new shooter, you can skip).

                  At station 7, your back is against the low house. High house comes in towards you, will pass you on the right, and lead is again minimal. Low house goes straight away from you, no lead.

                  Moving from station 1 to 2 means your angle has changed, and you will need to give more lead on the pigeons. Station 8 is dead center in the middle, with the birds coming at you and passing overhead.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    phbiggs
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Nov 2002
                    • 124

                    Id recommend Los Altos R&G. They have the self loaders (you load them) but the advantage to that is they have the slow stations. They really loft them out there for you and there you can practice the straight out and then move the clay around in the track to get them to fly to the sides where you can practice tracking and leading the shot.

                    Barring any crappy weather, Im planning on going up on march 29th with a friend. If you are up there Id be happy to help you out. Send me a pm if you are interested.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      edbon9
                      Member
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 133

                      Originally posted by ghideon
                      Trap has five of you standing behind the house. The arm inside the house is constantly moving, up, down, left, right. When you call the bird, it'll come out of the house in a different direction (but going away from you of course).
                      .
                      btw, what you described only happens in 'wobble' trap which are specialized machines that enable the machine to go up/down, 'regular' american trap only goes left/right and usually covers about 45degs or so. Livermore/Sunnyvale do have 'wobble' I believe Metcalf does as well, and you need to ask the rangemasters if you'd like to try it. the best info for beginners at trap with regards to target angles/foot positioning/gun hold is at



                      good write up on skeet. Bunker/Olympic trap Martinez gun club has one. opens on wed/sat but you will have to call ahead to make sure. the targets are way faster

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1