Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Win1300 Defender >>>>hunting shotgun?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Rukus
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2009
    • 2387

    Win1300 Defender >>>>hunting shotgun?

    MY AR Profile #1
  • #2
    Dozen Gauge
    Member
    • Feb 2011
    • 178

    I don't see why it couldn't be done. You may need to run a shorter forend slide arm extension and/or different forend because the barrel lug is further back on a long barrel. The Defender uses a 6-1/4" slide extension. Midwest carries a 4-3/4" extension that may work. You might think about a clamp up front as well.

    I see used hunting barrels on Ebay frequently but notice the prices are getting out of hand. AR-7 has good prices and they are new barrels. Here's some links:







    Happy hunting.

    Comment

    • #3
      jeffrice6
      Calguns Addict
      • Jan 2006
      • 5174

      Originally posted by Rukus
      It looks like the barrel lug that attaches to the mag tube is in different places for different barrels
      This. I don't believe you can. A defender barrel did not work on my 1300 field gun......
      WTB: S&W 617 4" 10 shot Pre-Lock

      Comment

      • #4
        CCrawford
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        CGN Contributor
        • Apr 2010
        • 502

        Special Winchester Part Required

        What you need is the 8 shot version of this item. Bad news is very rare factory only type part made for only a couple of years.

        You could cut and extend the above adaptor to make it the right size as well thinking about it. It is the cleanest, fastest, and best way most likely, maybe not cheapest. The pipe discussed in post #6 will work, but not clean and will need to check tightness of cap regularly.

        In the photo below, top to bottom, 5 shot barrel, 8 to 5 shot adaptor, and complete defender:



        Barrels and Adaptor swapped:



        It works because the attaching threads are in the front cap and the barrel interface part is in the back.





        I seem to remember Winchester also made special barrels with the lug forward for the 7 and 8 shot magazine guns, but again, very rare and I think they were sold as a combo only type deal for a couple of years.

        Auction sites might have them at times.

        Otherwise, You could buy a 5 shot barrel and have a gunsmith move the lug, but cost might not be worth it. Other option would be to make the adaptor by using two factory caps and an extension tube and have it welded up together. Like this CAP|EXTENSION TUBE|DRILLED OUT CAP





        If the parts are not welded up, the front cap with loosen rather quickly with use.

        Measurement are as follows (+/- a little bit):
        5 shot magazine lug to receiver face = 11 1/16"
        8 shot magazine lug to receiver face = 16 7/16"
        Overall 8 shot adaptor length = 6 3/16"
        Front cap of adaptor = 5/8"
        Extension tube of adaptor = 5 1/8"
        Rear cap of adaptor = 1/2"
        Depth of adaptor = 6 3/32"
        Outside diameter of magazine tube = 1"

        Last option which I would not recommend is switching out the magazine tubes. 5 shots are available and could be put in. Problem is they are press fit and would loosen up in short order. I suppose You could pin it, but more trouble that it's worth for sure. Post #7 is correct too that "well used" field versions could be had for around $150.00 to $300.00 depending on condition on the auction sites (before current nightmare of events). Add taxes and DROS, etc.

        I do not believe the slide arm extension size matters for this issue, as mine is a 6 1/4" and works fine configured any way I want it. There are different fore ends (youth, etc.) which require the different slide arm lengths.

        Good luck
        Criss
        Last edited by CCrawford; 12-19-2012, 11:55 AM. Reason: Update

        Comment

        • #5
          Dozen Gauge
          Member
          • Feb 2011
          • 178

          Brownells used to make an adapter for a conversion but appears to have discontinued it. You can get a Defender "Camper" barrel that is 22 inches long with a choke that will work.

          Comment

          • #6
            bohoki
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2006
            • 20826

            if you want to use a standard 1200 1300 barrel on the defender you need to use a piece of pipe to make up the difference in tube length to lock the barrel on with the nut

            Comment

            • #7
              Dakine_surf
              Member
              • Apr 2012
              • 384

              Yeah what everyone else has said. It is one of the reasons I buy up the field versions of 1300's whenever I find a good deal. It is much easier to make the 5 shot into a "tactical" shotgun vs the other way around.

              Plus a 10+1 blued shotgun with wood furniture and a 28" VR looks kinda cool IMO



              Throw on a 22" VR, and you have a great 3-gun pump

              Comment

              • #8
                bohoki
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jan 2006
                • 20826

                that looks like it would hold a whole box of aguila mini shells

                Comment

                • #9
                  walterwhite
                  Member
                  • Nov 2012
                  • 173

                  Call winchester they will give u the sku# for the type of barrels you need. I called last week thinking about buying spx defender or called super x defender, i wanted matte finish + extra 28" barrel matte finish. Takes a special barrel but is available. Not too expensive not sure exactly maybe $109.
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1