Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Looking to buy a shotgun (help wanted)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • sbjmg
    Member
    • Nov 2007
    • 363

    Looking to buy a shotgun (help wanted)

    I am looking for a shotgun to buy (my first and probably last).

    I would like like it to be as short as possible (18"-21").
    I would like it to be semi-automatic.
    I would like it to have the largest capacity possible (6+).
    I would like it to look tactical (black to match my EBR).
    Pistol grip would be nice but not necessary (I could change it later)

    Purpose:

    Home defense (I will probably be using 2.75" or 3" oo Buckshot)
    Plinking

    Price:

    $0-750 (maybe more but would like to keep as low as possible)


    What are you suggestions?

    Thanks
  • #2
    Black Majik
    Calguns Addict
    • Oct 2005
    • 9695

    A few to look into

    1) Remington 11-87 Police
    2) FN SLP
    3) Winchester SX2 Practical
    4) Mossberg 930
    5) Used Benelli M1S90

    As for pistol grip you looking for pistol grip stock or pistol grip only?

    Comment

    • #3
      mymonkeyman
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2008
      • 1049

      Remington 1100 Tactical 2 (Tac-2). 18" barrel, 7 rounds 2 3/4", semiautomatic, black w/ pistol grip. MSRP is $835, but you shouldn't have trouble finding below $750.
      The above does not constitute legal advice. I am not your lawyer.

      "[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table."

      Comment

      • #4
        Glock_XXI
        Member
        • Jan 2008
        • 292

        Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it against CA law to have a pistol gripped semi-auto SG???

        I would vote for a Remington 870 Home Defense model, 7-shot,

        There are tons of after market accesories for the 870.

        I would add the Pistol Grip, a Mesa Tactical Side saddle, and Scattergun Technologies Ghost Ring sites.

        For 750 you can get alot. Good Luck!
        Dr. Evil on non EBR's

        You're semi-evil. You're quasi-evil. You're the margarine of evil. You're the Diet Coke of evil. Just one calorie, not evil enough.
        ~Dr. Evil

        Comment

        • #5
          sbjmg
          Member
          • Nov 2007
          • 363

          I would like the pistol grip with the stock.

          Thank you all for your suggestions.

          What are your thoughts on the Benelli M3 (I know it is pricier) but it does come with the pistol grip stock.

          Thanks again

          Comment

          • #6
            Black Majik
            Calguns Addict
            • Oct 2005
            • 9695

            Originally posted by sbjmg
            I would like the pistol grip with the stock.

            Thank you all for your suggestions.

            What are your thoughts on the Benelli M3 (I know it is pricier) but it does come with the pistol grip stock.

            Thanks again
            I recently bought one about 2 weeks ago. It's, umm... interesting.

            A few things to note:

            * To load rounds into the magazine tube the hammer has to be cocked. Therefore, you'll have to rack the bolt before inserting shells in. The shell lifter wont budge until the hammer is cocked, this is a pain. So cruiser ready, gotta rack bolt first, then load rounds

            * Pump / Auto is a cool concept. Just not very intuitive. In pump mode, if there are no rounds in the tube it'll lock back. You have to press the bolt release to forward the forearm. Again, a slight annoyance

            * Benelli thumb. I get pinched loading rounds into the magazine. Sometimes my thumbs get stuck between the round and the shell lifter. Ouch!

            * Trigger isn't as smooth as a remington Wingmaster/Police trigger. Light, but mushy.

            * Not as easy to field strip. I'm used to the 870. The dang bolt itself in the M3 is 7 pieces.

            But... it's not all bad.

            * The fit and finish is first rate.

            * The gun shoots very clean.

            * The gun is very smooth to shoot.

            * Comes with sling mounts

            * Ability to ghost load in HK imported models

            Overall, I like the gun. The ghost rings are pretty fun to use slinging slugs at the steel.

            Comment

            • #7
              Shotgun Man
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2007
              • 4053

              Originally posted by Glock_XXI
              Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it against CA law to have a pistol gripped semi-auto SG???

              I don't think a SA shotgun with a pistol grip is categorically illegal because the "evil features" ban only applies to centerfire rifles; however 12276.1 states that shotguns can't have both a pistol grip and folding stock, or a revolving cylinder. Of course, there are also length restrictions found elsewhere. I don't know if a rifled slug barrel would render it illegal.

              12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
              (1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
              (A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
              (B) A thumbhole stock.
              (C) A folding or telescoping stock.
              (D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
              (E) A flash suppressor.
              (F) A forward pistol grip.
              (2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
              (3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.
              (d) The following definitions shall apply under this section:
              (1) "Magazine" shall mean any ammunition feeding device.
              (2) "Capacity to accept more than 10 rounds" shall mean capable of accommodating more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include a feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds

              [...]
              (6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:

              (A) A folding or telescoping stock.

              (B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.
              Last edited by Shotgun Man; 02-12-2008, 7:20 PM. Reason: edited for clarity

              Comment

              • #8
                randy
                In Memoriam
                • Nov 2006
                • 4642

                A used Benelli M1 or M2(the m2 might cost you a bit more). The best auto loader you can buy. The M1 and M2 require the least amount of maintenance of any shotgun I've been around. And the most reliable.

                I have some experience with the Benelli M3 and I'd stay away from it. The pump/semi concept doesn't have much use in my book. It's heavy slow and too much crap to deal with.

                I sold my Remingtons for Benellis
                I have an M4 also but I haven't shot it yet so I can't tell you much about it.
                Last edited by randy; 02-12-2008, 6:25 PM.
                I move slow but I make up for it by shooting poorly.

                When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Rugerman
                  Member
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 406

                  I believe you can't have a semi-auto shotgun with a pistol grip that has a capacity of 4+1.

                  Don't know if I'm right though.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Shotgun Man
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2007
                    • 4053

                    Originally posted by Rugerman
                    I believe you can't have a semi-auto shotgun with a pistol grip that has a capacity of 4+1.

                    Don't know if I'm right though.
                    If you find more info, please post, as I've not heard that one.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      CWM4A1
                      Senior Member
                      • Feb 2006
                      • 1135

                      922(r) is the problem for the pistol grip with tube capacity more then 5rds, and it only apply to imported shotgun. So unless you have pre-89 M1S90, you can't have both pistol grip and tube that holds more then 5 rds (in this case, 5+1, not 4+1). If you do want to have both pistol grip and high capacity tube, you have to find US made parts to make sure your Benelli has less then 10 imported parts (good luck with that, by the way).

                      If you choose a US made semi (Remington 11-87 or 1100), you can put any length of tube you want, since Fed 94 AWB has already being sun-setted. Other than above mentioned CA AWB critiria, The only big NO on CA AWB is detachable mag-fed shotgun, that's why Saiga shotguns needs to have mag pinned.

                      ETA: I picked up a Benelli M2 Tactical couple month ago from one of the Calgun member, that shotgun is sweet!
                      Last edited by CWM4A1; 02-12-2008, 7:22 PM.
                      NRA certified RSO, Pistol/Rifle/Personal Protection Inside The Home instructor, Certified SIG/Glock pistol armorer.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Shotgun Man
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2007
                        • 4053

                        Originally posted by CWM4A1;997908[...
                        The only big NO on CA AWB is detachable mag-fed shotgun, that's why Saiga shotguns needs to have mag pinned.
                        Do you have a cite for that prohibition? Thanks.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Shotgun Man
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2007
                          • 4053

                          You know, all this talk lately in the shotgun forum about legal configurations made check out the newly posted link at the top of the page for the AW id flowchart.

                          It doesn't address shotguns. The chart presupposes a centerfire rifle. As good as that flowchart is, I think it could be improved by iding other illegal configurations of firearms.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            CWM4A1
                            Senior Member
                            • Feb 2006
                            • 1135

                            Check the AW identification guide, page 72:



                            Shotguns
                            (6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
                            (A) A folding or telescoping stock.
                            (B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or
                            vertical handgrip.
                            (7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.
                            (8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

                            Forgot about the revolving cylinder, so detachable Mag is not the only big NO.
                            NRA certified RSO, Pistol/Rifle/Personal Protection Inside The Home instructor, Certified SIG/Glock pistol armorer.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Shotgun Man
                              Veteran Member
                              • Oct 2007
                              • 4053

                              Originally posted by CWM4A1
                              Check the AW identification guide, page 72:



                              Shotguns
                              (6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
                              (A) A folding or telescoping stock.
                              (B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or
                              vertical handgrip.
                              (7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.
                              (8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

                              Forgot about the revolving cylinder, so detachable Mag is not the only big NO.
                              Yep, you're right. A SA shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine is an illegal AW.

                              I just suck at reading these statutes. You really got to read every word.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1