Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

ithaca 37 question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jbk
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2011
    • 957

    ithaca 37 question

    not wanting to jack deadcoyote thread, it reminded me of a question i had. i just purhased a model 37 featherlight for a restoration projet (still in jail). i noticed when i turned shotgun completely upside down there was a "tink" in the reciever. it sounded like the lifter fork flipping up inside the reciever. i am not positive it is that just what i suspect. the gun seems to function fine. i was just wondering if anyone else could check or know of a problem these guns have? any input is really helpful. thanks in advance guys
  • #2
    stockranger
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 962

    The only thing I have ever heard of happening to a 37 is the action bar that connects to the pump breaking cuz there is only one compared to an 870 with 2.

    I suppose something could be broken but I suspect it is just as likely it was not re-assembly correctly after someone tried to clean it. Its sort of hard to take them apart and put back together.

    Old ithica guns are hand fit. The parts do not just drop in. If you get a new part you may have to do some filing or sanding etc to get it to work or send to a smith. Unless you know of a good smith I would send the gun to ithica or sycamore customs for any work.

    They are good guns, I had a nice pre war 20 ga for a while.
    People who hug trees shouldn't live in wooden houses!

    Comment

    • #3
      jbk
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2011
      • 957

      so im guess at $150 it wasnt a bad buy? i got it to do reblueing and stock refinishing for me and the wife.

      Comment

      • #4
        stockranger
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2009
        • 962

        at 150 it was not a bad buy. However, you could get one in decent condition for 300 and really nice for 400. Don't sink too much money it. I would just get it functioning and shoot her unless your just dying for a project. In which case do all the work yourself. Shoot for a while then decide if you still want to work on it.
        People who hug trees shouldn't live in wooden houses!

        Comment

        • #5
          Darto
          CGN Contributor
          • Apr 2012
          • 6732

          Now I'm curious. One time I was in Outdoor Sportsman in Stockton and IIRC the used guns were out where you could handle them. If I'm ever down that way and see a 37 I'm going to turn it upside down and listen.

          Comment

          • #6
            jbk
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2011
            • 957

            i appreciate it if you did and let me know darto

            Comment

            Working...
            UA-8071174-1