Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

870 ejector question for aippi

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Son of a Gun
    Junior Member
    • Mar 2012
    • 5

    870 ejector question for aippi

    Could you describe for me how the 870 12 ga ejector bar/ejector spring act on the extracted shell to eject it from the receiver? Is it contact from hitting the the ^ shaped projection of the spring as the bolt is pulled fully to the rear or is the rim of the expended shell supposed to be caught by the slightly raised tab on the upper rear rail portion of the ejector bar itself while the ejector spring is depressed by the bolt acting on the ^ shaped bend of the ejector spring ?
  • #2
    aippi
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2009
    • 2302

    Yes, the spring is more of a spacer. the rim of the shell hits it after it returns to postion once the breech bolt passes and allows it to spring out. This causes the shell to pivot to the right allowing the front to eject start out the ejction port first. This is why we all say rack an 870 with authority as this assures the best ejection.
    JD McGuire, Owner
    AI&P Tactical
    Remington Law Enforcement Armorer
    Mossberg LE Armorer
    www.aiptactical.com
    www.tacticalgunslings.com
    If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.

    Comment

    • #3
      Son of a Gun
      Junior Member
      • Mar 2012
      • 5

      Thank you Aippi for your response.

      If you could please clarify for me: is the the shell rim primarily deflected by the ejector spring or the tab on the ejector housing or are both required?

      The reason I ask is because, I have seen in other posts in various forums concerning "weak ejection issues", my 870 Express Tactical frequently ejects unenthusiasticaly regardless of pumping vigor, just dribbling shells out the port, or sometimes stovepiping the empty shell, and at other times turning it completly around leaving it the breech facing backwards. The empty shells (only have used 2 3/4 inch) slide readily into and out of the chamber and extraction is fine. I have replaced the MIM extractor with a forged one with no improvement.

      I have switched bolt assemblies with my 1980's vintage Wingmaster 2 3/4 inch only version and the Wingmaster ejects virgorously with either bolt assembly and the Express ejects poorly with either assembly. So, the extractor bolt assembly seems not the issue. I assume then that the Express's ejector spring and/or the tab on the Express's 3 inch ejector housing are the problem.

      I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

      Thanks Son of a Gun

      Comment

      • #4
        aippi
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2009
        • 2302

        the tab simply is there to keep the ejector spring in place. You seem like you understand these parts and know your weapon so I am going to suggest something that I would not normally recommend. If you are comfortable doing this then strip down the receiver. Hold a finger on the end of the ejector spring and bend it up at the crooked part. This bend should be emphasized. Most metals, if bent will return the original state eventually but this should help with the ejection issue and may in fact resolve it as spring steel acts different to other steel.

        I buy hundreds of these 870 and build my tactical shotguns on them but have never ran into these ejection issue I have read about. If I did, the above procedure would be the first thing I tried. Also, some other forum guys may have done this procedure and can post in on how effective it was.
        JD McGuire, Owner
        AI&P Tactical
        Remington Law Enforcement Armorer
        Mossberg LE Armorer
        www.aiptactical.com
        www.tacticalgunslings.com
        If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.

        Comment

        • #5
          Son of a Gun
          Junior Member
          • Mar 2012
          • 5

          Aippi again I thank you for sharing your time and knowledge.
          I will try adjusting the spring as you described and will watch for comments from other board members on their experiences.

          Son of a Gun

          Comment

          Working...
          UA-8071174-1