Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Break in Advice for Mossberg 930 Field/Security Autoloader Shotgun

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Patriotdoc
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2012
    • 1177

    Break in Advice for Mossberg 930 Field/Security Autoloader Shotgun

    Hi Everyone,

    My Mossberg 930 Field/Security (28" VR / 18.5" cylinder bore) gets out of jail this Friday and I am planning on breaking it in this weekend. I have searched around the forums and have seen that the general consensus is to give it a good cleaning and lube first as it comes with a lot of preservative from Mossberg. To that end I stopped by my local gun store and picked up some Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber, M-Pro 7 Cleaner, M-Pro 7 Gun Oil LPX, some Otis receiver brushes, and a Bore Snake for its first clean and lube. Yes I know that the rod, brush, and patches are supposed to give a better barrel clean but I am trying to keep my cleaning regimen time efficient. I have also seen a lot of guys on here and on shotgunworld who recommend feeding it buckshot to "break it in." I feel that I payed too much by buying 50 shells of Federal Premium 00 buckshot at $5.97/5 shell box. Looking back I should have purchased the 175 shell Federal bulk pack in the ammo can from sgammo.com I also have 50 shells of Winchester Super X 7.5 birdshot 1325 fps. Would this be enough or do you guys suggest shooting more buckshot, less buckshot, slugs, etc.? The end of all this is that I want to be able to cycle the cheap target loads (7.5) for sporting clays with no problems. Ready for some experienced advice...thanks!
    SIG MCX, HK VP9, SIG P938
  • #2
    Patriotdoc
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2012
    • 1177

    In case anyone finds this via a google search like I tried doing initially I ended up breaking it in with thefeeders advice of 100 rounds of 3 3/4 DRAM game loads from wal mart (blue box 7.5 shot game loads from federal, $11/25 shells). Cycled all the low power loads at the skeet clinic flawlessly
    SIG MCX, HK VP9, SIG P938

    Comment

    • #3
      cultex
      Junior Member
      • Mar 2011
      • 17

      I broke mine in with a mix of 00 Buck and rifled slugs(low recoil and high velocity). 275 rounds the first time I took it out and it only had one FTE.

      Comment

      • #4
        Patriotdoc
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2012
        • 1177

        That must have been expensive!...but fun! I was going to break mine in with full power 00 buckshot then Lou taught me that to the gun 3 3/4 DRAM is the same whether it is a game shell or a buckshot shell...but the game shells were MUCH cheaper. I still need to shoot some buckshot and some slugs threw mine
        SIG MCX, HK VP9, SIG P938

        Comment

        • #5
          cultex
          Junior Member
          • Mar 2011
          • 17

          It was! I couldn't help myself, I was on private land where I could pull the trigger as fast as I wanted. I'm still not over the semi auto.

          Comment

          • #6
            Richard Erichsen
            Senior Member
            CGN Contributor
            • Jan 2011
            • 1911

            Originally posted by orthopod
            Hi Everyone,

            My Mossberg 930 Field/Security (28" VR / 18.5" cylinder bore) gets out of jail this Friday and I am planning on breaking it in this weekend. I have searched around the forums and have seen that the general consensus is to give it a good cleaning and lube first as it comes with a lot of preservative from Mossberg. To that end I stopped by my local gun store and picked up some Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber, M-Pro 7 Cleaner, M-Pro 7 Gun Oil LPX, some Otis receiver brushes, and a Bore Snake for its first clean and lube. Yes I know that the rod, brush, and patches are supposed to give a better barrel clean but I am trying to keep my cleaning regimen time efficient. I have also seen a lot of guys on here and on shotgunworld who recommend feeding it buckshot to "break it in." I feel that I payed too much by buying 50 shells of Federal Premium 00 buckshot at $5.97/5 shell box. Looking back I should have purchased the 175 shell Federal bulk pack in the ammo can from sgammo.com I also have 50 shells of Winchester Super X 7.5 birdshot 1325 fps. Would this be enough or do you guys suggest shooting more buckshot, less buckshot, slugs, etc.? The end of all this is that I want to be able to cycle the cheap target loads (7.5) for sporting clays with no problems. Ready for some experienced advice...thanks!
            300 shells through the pipe and it should be broken in. Then you can clean it.

            R
            Mangler of loose parts into modernized boom sticks

            "Your breathing should be slow and steady. It should sound like HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo!!!" - CBruce

            Comment

            • #7
              stangmar
              Member
              • Nov 2010
              • 135

              I shot like 15 rounds of buckshot for my "break in"
              Then I just went to shoot trap with it. I shot 200 rds of Winchester/Federal 100 pack from Walmart with no problems. I've had no problems with it.

              I think the break in period of buckshot and slugs only is waste of money.

              Comment

              • #8
                Marlin Hunter
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2010
                • 586

                It shouldn't need to be broken in. Just put it together (correctly) and have fun. It has a field barrel, so use bird shot and shoot some clays or go out in the middle of nowhere and toss up some aluminum cans.
                *
                *
                *

                Comment

                • #9
                  Patriotdoc
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2012
                  • 1177

                  It was already broken in with reason ably priced full dram game loads...is shooting everything flawlessly.
                  SIG MCX, HK VP9, SIG P938

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    erik_26
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2010
                    • 3907

                    To break in.

                    1. Load ammo

                    2. Point in safe direction with safe back stop

                    3. Pull trigger

                    4. Repeat steps 1-4 until maximum smile width achieved.

                    5. Clean gun
                    Signature required

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Patriotdoc
                      Senior Member
                      • Feb 2012
                      • 1177

                      Maximum smile was definitely achieved when I was the only person around and I was firing as fast as I could pull the trigger. Love the gun!
                      SIG MCX, HK VP9, SIG P938

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1