I know its not really necessary, but I would like to be able to use my red dot on my shotgun if I feel like it that day. I've seen people use them for turkeys. my question is how versatile are they on shotguns? Can I still use it for dove or quail or duck? or am I better off with open sights? I got the Aimpoint 9000SC
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Scoping a Shotgun
Collapse
X
-
Scoping a Shotgun
Tags: None -
Bushnell makes a Holosight for the Remington 870, 1100, and 11-87 12 gauges. I'd think a Holosight reticle would do well on a shotgun, but I've never shot anything but bead sights.
sigpic
NRA Life Member -
B-square also makes an aftermarket rig for a lot of SG's....I aint gone looking for one for a holo but they do make 'em for the old fashioned round
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered....
I am not a number! I am a free man
1.)All humanity would be better off if Stoooopid hurt.
2.)Why is it that if guns are sooooo unsafe that you're 9 times more likely to die at the hands of your doctor?
3.)Remember...Buy it cheap & stack it deep
Comment
-
Open sights for anything in the air, be it orange or feathery. People have been known to use scopes & red dots for Turkey & Deer but in both those cases they'd be hunting with slugs rather than shot. (I'm sure these are things you know).
Having used shotguns w/ optics in conjunction with birdshot, I can tell you from experience it's worthless and unless you practice quite a bit (and forget how to use your beads) you'll miss if your target is moving.Comment
-
Expert firearms attorney: https://www.rwslaw.com/team/adam-j-richards/
Check out https://www.firearmsunknown.com/. Support a good calgunner local to San Diego.Comment
-
-
Originally posted by KestryllYeah, don't tell that rat bastard Kestryll, he'll shut it down.
Fascist pig....Comment
-
I think it may also become a question of - do you have the ability to swap setups quickly?I know its not really necessary, but I would like to be able to use my red dot on my shotgun if I feel like it that day. I've seen people use them for turkeys. my question is how versatile are they on shotguns? Can I still use it for dove or quail or duck? or am I better off with open sights? I got the Aimpoint 9000SC
Example: I have a Mossberg 500 - with 3 different barrels; each has it's own setup:
18.5" bead sight
28" vent ribbed double-bead
24" fully rifled w/cantilever scope mount and 10X42 scope.
So in my case; it's change the shotgun barrel depending on the situation. In my case; slugs or sabots I use the scoped barrel. The other 2 barrels are birdy or buck shot.
-M3"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -George Santayana
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund BurkeComment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,654
Posts: 25,150,128
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,868
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 19107 users online. 148 members and 18959 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.



Comment