Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Recoil absorbing stock (which one is good?)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mtahatta
    Junior Member
    • Jan 2010
    • 12

    Recoil absorbing stock (which one is good?)

    Howdy yall,

    I'm thinking of picking up a recoil absorbing pistol grip shotgun stock for my mossberg 500 12 guage, since the recoil hurts me (I shoot a lot of 00 buck and slugs). I have been looking at two stocks: the blackhawk specops stock and the mesa tactical LEO telescoping recoil stock kit (which includes the hydraulic recoil buffer). I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with these stocks (or perhaps other recoil reducing stocks I don't know of).

    Thanks.
    Last edited by mtahatta; 11-10-2011, 3:41 PM.
  • #2
    kuya51
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2011
    • 51

    I also have a Mossberg 500. It has the ATI tactical stock but IMO its crap. I dont have any experience with it but I just ordered the Mesa Tactical LEO stock with the buffer tube. I've seen numerous reduce recoil stocks but I did some reading before ordering one and decided to get the Mesa Tactical. After reading many reviews people have said its a good stock. It is expensive but it's said to be worth the money.

    Comment

    • #3
      Japsican
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2006
      • 850

      I use to have a Knoxx Compstock on my old 500. It worked great!

      Comment

      • #4
        Sam .223
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2008
        • 1576

        i have the shot shock on my siaga 12 and it works perfectly, i can shoot all day and not be bruised or sore the next day. i got mine from Mesa Tactical.
        5.56: reach out and touch someone.
        458 SOCOM: reach out and knock someone down.

        Comment

        • #5
          itisagoodname
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          • Jan 2010
          • 1359

          I shot about 4 slugs last Sunday and didnt feel like ruining the rest of my day/week. There was a great deal yesterday, i think it was $85 but i thought id wait til next paycheck.

          tere hanges

          Comment

          • #6
            repubconserv
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2010
            • 3056

            I used the knoxx stock once. It worked well on recoil, but it kept hitting my face...

            Comment

            • #7
              Databyter
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2010
              • 1100

              Originally posted by mtahatta
              Howdy yall,

              I'm thinking of picking up a recoil absorbing pistol grip shotgun stock for my mossberg 500 12 guage, since the recoil hurts me (I shoot a lot of 00 buck and slugs). I have been looking at two stocks: the blackhawk specops stock and the mesa tactical LEO telescoping recoil stock kit (which includes the hydraulic recoil buffer). I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with these stocks (or perhaps other recoil reducing stocks I don't know of).

              Thanks.
              I was looking at the Mesa the other day and I noticed that the angle of the butt plate was prounounced and opposite of what the stock angle was.

              i.e. the stock butt plate angle seems shaped to the body and as you get lower (towards the arm pit) the length increases to conform to body shape.

              The Mesa butt-plate angle seems to be designed to be the opposite of the shape of the shoulder to pit area which means that even though the recoil design is outstanding and the low high tube choices are awesome for custom needs, the shape of the part that touches your body leaves a lot to be desired.

              Potentially you have about 4" of contact area, but since they are not shaped the way your body is it is going to translate to 1" doing all the work.

              I noticed that the Knoxx recoil adapters, much like the stock ones, get longer as they get lower, which conforms to the body shape.

              So, I'm on the fence. I like the Mesa better except for the retarded butt plate angle which is gonna be important on a person with less fat on the shoulder like me.

              I don't like the design of the Knoxx as much, and it even says that it reduces recoil only 54% (for the one I like, another is 85%) vs more with the Mesa stock.
              But felt recoil reduction measured on a jig in a lab is not the same as an uncomfortable ergo poking your shoulder with any amount of force so I have a feeling I am going to go with the Knoxx unless I can find a gun store that offers a feel.

              Thoughts on the VERY different angles and shapes of the Butt stocks?

              Wouldn't the shape of your body be better than something that poked you in one spot because it doesn't fit shape?

              Personally I'd rather deal with 100% recoil values with a well shaped stock than have a reduction system attached to a shape that puts all the force on the top edge.
              Last edited by Databyter; 11-10-2011, 6:27 PM.

              Comment

              • #8
                tonelar
                Dinosaur
                • Mar 2008
                • 6081

                What does a limbsaver-pad absorb?
                sigpic

                Comment

                • #9
                  hcbr
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2010
                  • 4733

                  for the mesa!
                  Be the change that you wish to see in the world.Mahatma Gandhi

                  "A bullet sounds the same in every language..."
                  ― Stewie Griffin (Family Guy Episode: Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story 2005)

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    shellslinger
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2011
                    • 930

                    Compstock would be probably best. It keeps the original style of the stock so you can access the safety just like before without having to go through an awkward transition phase to reach the safety, if you were to get the pistol grip knoxx.
                    Bounce a ball in Football that's a fumble. Baseball, no bouncing at all. Bounce a ball in Hockey, well that's a mandatory drug test right there...

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Caseless
                      Senior Member
                      • Jun 2005
                      • 1668

                      Originally posted by tonelar
                      What does a limbsaver-pad absorb?
                      Up to 40% according to the manufacturer. For $30 it's a great deal. Since you can put it on other long guns when needed.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        strongpoint
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2010
                        • 3115

                        finally tested out my mesa stock this weekend (along with a limbsaver recoil pad, which mesa also sells) firing slugs from 25 yards at chabot. there was clearly a lot of force being generated, but i felt very little of it at the shoulder.

                        i haven't tested the knoxx stock, so i can't compare, but at this moment i'm very happy with the mesa.
                        .

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          p7m8jg
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2007
                          • 1914

                          I put the Knoxx on my Mossberg 500A and use managed recoil 12 gauge buckshot for my home defense shotgun. With the spring loaded stock, I can shoot that stuff all day at the range.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            paratroop
                            Senior Member
                            • May 2009
                            • 1743

                            Ive got the knoxx pistol grip only stock on my mossberg. i can shoot slugs, 3in magnums, whatever, all day long without hurting my wrist. love that thing.
                            Originally posted by Marcus von W.
                            Is that banjo music I hear?
                            "Sporter" is what the drooling toothless inbred albino with the hacksaw thinks his newly created "dear riffel" is.
                            "Bubba" is what he and his ugly and ruined rifle really are.
                            First you are chopping up historic vintage rifles and sticking them in cheap and nasty looking plastic "dildo" stocks that look like some kind of futuristic sex toy that gay space aliens stick up each other's butts.
                            Next thing you know, you think "Deliverance" is a love story.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              HBrebel
                              Senior Member
                              • Jan 2011
                              • 542

                              get stronger shoulders
                              "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1