Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

(Legally)Chopped Shotguns

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Rukus
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2009
    • 2387

    (Legally)Chopped Shotguns

    I've been thinking of purchasing a single shot .410 and cutting the barrel down to 18.5" and chopping it down to a 27" OAL. I realize it would remove the choke leaving a cylinder bore but thats fine by me.

    Intended use will be: "desert fun". Anybody have something similar? If so please post pics. Any reason not to use a .410 besides cost? I don't want a wrist breaker.

    Something similar to this
    MY AR Profile #1
  • #2
    BigDogatPlay
    Calguns Addict
    • Jun 2007
    • 7362

    Reload... it'll cost a lot less in .410. Particularly if it's just for fun and plinking.
    -- Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun

    Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

    Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison

    Comment

    • #3
      WDE91
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2010
      • 3513

      Im thinking 20 gauge might be more practical

      Remington 870 18.5" barrel with a birdhead grip
      "Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison

      Comment

      • #4
        Rukus
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2009
        • 2387

        Originally posted by Bjkearns
        Im thinking 20 gauge might be more practical

        Remington 870 18.5" barrel with a birdhead grip
        An H&R would set me back about $150 new OTD.
        MY AR Profile #1

        Comment

        • #5
          WDE91
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2010
          • 3513

          Very true the economics of a single shot

          but at the same time the 870 can be converted back into home defense role or into a hunting role

          once you cut the H&R its life is pretty much sealed
          "Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison

          Comment

          • #6
            plumbum
            Calguns Addict
            • May 2010
            • 5394

            I vote for 20 gauge too, and believe me, I love my .410's.

            With a 22" bbl on an H&R, the Choate pistol grip would keep it legal, but I haven't heard good things about the ergonomics.
            Originally posted by ysr_racer
            Please don't bring logic and reason into an interwebs discussion

            Comment

            • #7
              hcbr
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2010
              • 4733

              20 Gauge 870 with a 18.5 probably be easier, as I agree with some of the folks that suggest that!
              Be the change that you wish to see in the world.Mahatma Gandhi

              "A bullet sounds the same in every language..."
              ― Stewie Griffin (Family Guy Episode: Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story 2005)

              Comment

              • #8
                Vintovka1891
                Banned
                • Jul 2011
                • 1191

                I cut down an old single-barrel 12 gauge to 18.25" but left the stock as is. It is extremely handy and compact when broken down for transport. Very reliable and fun to shoot.

                Comment

                • #9
                  BajaJames83
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Jun 2011
                  • 6042

                  I'd get the 20ga 870. More use
                  NRA Endowment Life Member
                  USMC 2001-2012

                  Never make yourself too available or useful...... Semper Fidelis

                  John Dickerson: What keeps you awake at night?
                  James Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1