How strong should a magazine spring be for a Remington870? This question may transfer to other pump shotguns.) The reason I ask is the tension (force pushing shells toward the shell stop) is markedly different on three springs of mine.
For example, my 870 is a short barrel model that I understand is often used as the base for building a police gun. It has a factory 2 shot extension and a LE forend. It takes significantly more thumb pressure to load the tube.
The spring that I bpought with a used 28" barrel was a great deal shorter than what I will call the LE spring and it also had much less resistance to shells being loaded. I don't know how old that spring was so it may have lost a lot of its strength. Of course this is only used when the gun is in a 4+1 configuration sans extension. (The extension could be used with the 28" but I don't .)
Not t rusting the used spring and having to get some washers from Brownells, I ordered a standard extension spring made by Wolf. I didn't measure it but it is around 4" longer than the old one. I should add that none appear to have been cut down. It isn't much stronger than the used one I got with the long barrel. I believe it was described as being for 3 to 5 shot tubes.
What I am wondering about is why the tension is so much greater for the extended magazine spring? Is it because if the gun is used in tactical situations one might need a stonger spring, an example being if an officer has to shoot from a second or third floor down to street level the spring has to work against gravity, while in the target shooting or hunting situations one is almost always shooting horizontally or pointing upwards?
There has to be a reason for the stronger spring, since it retards loading speed as compared to less strong ones even if loading gets quicker with practice.
For example, my 870 is a short barrel model that I understand is often used as the base for building a police gun. It has a factory 2 shot extension and a LE forend. It takes significantly more thumb pressure to load the tube.
The spring that I bpought with a used 28" barrel was a great deal shorter than what I will call the LE spring and it also had much less resistance to shells being loaded. I don't know how old that spring was so it may have lost a lot of its strength. Of course this is only used when the gun is in a 4+1 configuration sans extension. (The extension could be used with the 28" but I don't .)
Not t rusting the used spring and having to get some washers from Brownells, I ordered a standard extension spring made by Wolf. I didn't measure it but it is around 4" longer than the old one. I should add that none appear to have been cut down. It isn't much stronger than the used one I got with the long barrel. I believe it was described as being for 3 to 5 shot tubes.
What I am wondering about is why the tension is so much greater for the extended magazine spring? Is it because if the gun is used in tactical situations one might need a stonger spring, an example being if an officer has to shoot from a second or third floor down to street level the spring has to work against gravity, while in the target shooting or hunting situations one is almost always shooting horizontally or pointing upwards?
There has to be a reason for the stronger spring, since it retards loading speed as compared to less strong ones even if loading gets quicker with practice.

Comment