Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Questions on remington 870 supermag-->tactical conversion

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Connacht07
    Junior Member
    • Dec 2010
    • 13

    Questions on remington 870 supermag-->tactical conversion

    I'd like to convert my 870 express supermag to a tactical version to double as a home defense gun when I am not going to a range. Ideally I could just swap out barrels and hit the road. I have done some research but would like some Calguns input. I would appreciate answers to any of the following:

    1. You can put an 18" or 20" mag barrel on the supermag just fine as long as you only shoot 3" shells, correct? Might I want to go 20" to have it flush with a large magazine extension?

    2. What is the advantage of a fully rifled barrel, is it noticeable, and can I remove rifle sights to put ghost ring sights on? Would a rifle sighted barrel be a much easier option (i can use both just fine but it's a matter of preference).

    2. How do I attach ghost ring sights to the receiver? Any tips on what works well with the 870?

    3. I read on another forum that the 'dimples' on the inside of the express' barrel tube create feeding problems with a barrel extension, is this true?

    4. Any recommendations on a good pistol grip/recoil reducing/collapsible stock? Are these last two options worth the money if the current stock seems to fit my (body's) frame just fine?

    Thanks in advance for helping a newbie. Any other tips welcome.
  • #2
    aippi
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2009
    • 2302

    Yes any 12ga 870 fits and long as you shoot only the shells the barrel is chambered for in your 3.5" receiver.

    A fully rifled barrel restricts you to shooting slugs and is not a good option for an HD shotgun. A smooth bore rifled sight barrel is an option if you want a recreational range gun but understand at HD distances you would not take time to sight on a threat rushing you from a few feet away. A quick point and fire is called for and the bead sight is the fastest for that. A tritium type bead is the best sight for a dedicated HD shotgun.

    It is wrong headed to put Ghost Rings on an HD.

    No, the detents once the detents are removed they are not an issue.

    The Knoxx SpecOps will fit most any budget and is worth the price.
    Last edited by aippi; 02-23-2011, 10:00 AM.
    JD McGuire, Owner
    AI&P Tactical
    Remington Law Enforcement Armorer
    Mossberg LE Armorer
    www.aiptactical.com
    www.tacticalgunslings.com
    If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.

    Comment

    • #3
      Connacht07
      Junior Member
      • Dec 2010
      • 13

      I am having a hell of a time getting the stockbolt out and I had 2 big guys trying to unscrew that bad boy. Anyone had this happen? Is unmovable on purpose? Any tips for solving this or do I need a gunsmith with some fancy leveraging tools?

      Comment

      • #4
        aippi
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2009
        • 2302

        It should turn counter clockwise and come out. Make sure you are using a large flat head. Make sure it is seated properly in the slot and hit the end of the screw driver a few light taps. This may serve to help break it free. The have someone hold the weapon down so it does not move at all. This allows you to break free the screw. Once it breaks free it screws right out.
        JD McGuire, Owner
        AI&P Tactical
        Remington Law Enforcement Armorer
        Mossberg LE Armorer
        www.aiptactical.com
        www.tacticalgunslings.com
        If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.

        Comment

        • #5
          Connacht07
          Junior Member
          • Dec 2010
          • 13

          Think a manual impact driver would work without breaking the bolt?

          Comment

          • #6
            aippi
            Senior Member
            • Jun 2009
            • 2302

            That is what you are doing with the screw driver and tapping it lightly. I would be scared to use anything else, but if you are confortable doing it then it is your deal.

            Once you get the bolt out, clean the treads, put a few drops of oil on it and make sure you can screw it back into the receiver stud with your hands. If not, then a new receiver stud and bolt are in order. The receiver stud screws out counte clock wise.
            JD McGuire, Owner
            AI&P Tactical
            Remington Law Enforcement Armorer
            Mossberg LE Armorer
            www.aiptactical.com
            www.tacticalgunslings.com
            If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.

            Comment

            Working...
            UA-8071174-1