Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Need shorter stock recommendations for Mossberg 500

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Don Nguyen
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2010
    • 1131

    Need shorter stock recommendations for Mossberg 500

    The original stock that came with the Mossberg 500 is too long for my arms. I like the LOP feel of the Mesa tactical stock in it's fully retracted size/length, but I don't know what would be comparable to that LOP. Any suggestions/recommendations?

    I would run the Mesa stock, but it kind of defeats the purpose of me being able to easily access the safety and tube locking mechanism.

    -Don

    WannabeRacer.com
    For sale: No Step On Snek - Decals
  • #2
    swifty
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2008
    • 929

    A compact/youth model stock is about 1" shorter. The Bantam version is convertible from 12" to 13" to 14".

    Comment

    • #3
      Don Nguyen
      Senior Member
      • Jul 2010
      • 1131

      I actually have a Hogue stock I bought that's roughly 1" shorter, and it's still slightly too long. Maybe I am just so used to holding a short AR15, that the Mossberg feels weird due to it's length. What is the stock LOP do you know?

      WannabeRacer.com
      For sale: No Step On Snek - Decals

      Comment

      • #4
        Diablo
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2006
        • 1232

        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          j.primo
          Senior Member
          • May 2010
          • 1139

          +1 for bantam.. Or speedfeed birds head if you really wanna it to be short... Drawback is slight modification to fit required. Best bet is bantam.
          sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            Blk04SR
            Member
            • Apr 2008
            • 148

            Comment

            • #7
              kiloechovictor
              Member
              • Nov 2009
              • 221

              In the end, if you find that the traditional stocks such as the speedfeeds or Bantam aren't the ticket, getting a PG stock shouldn't be ruled out. Get a larger safety button to replace the plastic OEM one.

              I run an ETA safety in conjunction with the PG stock on my 930; some shouldering/safety-off drills later I can get the weapon 0 to ready pretty dang quick.
              sigpic
              Medals grow on the trees, right where they bury heroes.

              Comment

              • #8
                Don Nguyen
                Senior Member
                • Jul 2010
                • 1131

                Interestingly enough, the Mossberg I bought came with the knoxx stock, so I quickly put it back on for the moment to test out different LOPs.

                How do you get around the issue of the locking mechanism being kind of out of reach with a PG stock installed?

                WannabeRacer.com
                For sale: No Step On Snek - Decals

                Comment

                • #9
                  kiloechovictor
                  Member
                  • Nov 2009
                  • 221

                  When I have my 500 w/ the Knoxx shouldered, I rotate my dominant hand in such a way that my middle finger reaches under the trigger guard to press the release. My trigger finger rests on the receiver and my thumb near the safety in way that won't flip it off.

                  Some people would be uncomfy with a finger near the trigger during a reloading exercise, but observing good muzzle discipline and using your brain can do you only good.
                  sigpic
                  Medals grow on the trees, right where they bury heroes.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    prc77
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 2578

                    Hogue 12" LOP. Does not block the action release, and can reach safety without moving strong hand grip.

                    C Co. 509th ABN/PFDR
                    83-85

                    USPSA CRO
                    MEMBER: USPSA, GSSF, Richmond Rod & Gun, Sunnyvale Rod & Gun


                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Don Nguyen
                      Senior Member
                      • Jul 2010
                      • 1131

                      Looks like I'll have to take types of stocks out to the range to see if the recoil reduced in the knoxx stock is worth the extra effort in getting to the slide release and safety.

                      -Don

                      WannabeRacer.com
                      For sale: No Step On Snek - Decals

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        kiloechovictor
                        Member
                        • Nov 2009
                        • 221

                        Originally posted by prc77
                        Hogue 12" LOP. Does not block the action release, and can reach safety without moving strong hand grip.

                        He's got good points. And a neat mag extension. It's all personal preference.
                        What extension is that?
                        sigpic
                        Medals grow on the trees, right where they bury heroes.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          tacticalcity
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Aug 2006
                          • 10929

                          Chote makes a stock for the Mossberg 500 that has a spacer system. It allows you to drastically reduce the LOP.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            prc77
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 2578

                            Originally posted by kiloechovictor
                            He's got good points. And a neat mag extension. It's all personal preference.
                            What extension is that?
                            No extension, 20" barrel (including KA1212 brake) with factory 7 shot tube.

                            Side note:
                            If you do go with the Hogue 12" LOP. It helps to change your strong hand grip a little.
                            From this



                            To this... So you don't make contact to your nose

                            Last edited by prc77; 09-18-2010, 9:37 PM.
                            C Co. 509th ABN/PFDR
                            83-85

                            USPSA CRO
                            MEMBER: USPSA, GSSF, Richmond Rod & Gun, Sunnyvale Rod & Gun


                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Al LaVodka
                              Junior Member
                              • Jun 2010
                              • 83

                              How about just replacing the thick rubber buttpad these come with with a very thin rubber one...
                              Al

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1