Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Places to shoot off-range in NorCal?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Major Danger
    Member
    • Aug 2010
    • 110

    Places to shoot off-range in NorCal?

    I've been going to the Cordova Shooting Center skeet range quite a bit lately and that has been working out fine, but I would like to find some place to shoot "out in the woods", hopefully not too far from Sacramento.

    I've tried contacting CA and federal BLM and BR, but they don't suggest specific places to shoot "anymore". I can buy maps of federal land, where it's legal to shoot, but that still doesn't tell me any good places to go. Before I just start driving up 80 or whatever looking for a place, I'd like to have some kind of plan in mind. Any suggestions?

    I don't know if this is like asking someone to give up their secret fishing hole or something like that, I just don't really want to pay range fees for casual shooting. I want to be able to spend a few bucks on a box of clays and a hand thrower and have fun with friends.

    Thanks, Kyle
    Last edited by Major Danger; 08-16-2010, 10:02 AM.
  • #2
    sargenv
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 4620

    Unfortunately it is kind of like asking someone for their favorite fishing hole or hunting area.. 38 million people in thie state and any time ppl suggest a place, it gets over run by everyone and their mother who "saw it was a good place to go from the internet". I used to go to Spenceville 15 years ago, and it was crowded then, now I hear it's really crowded and not very nice like it used to be.

    Best bet is to try to meet someone who is a shooter and has land.. that's about the best advice I can give..

    Comment

    • #3
      omgwtfbbq
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2009
      • 3445

      Well the only place I know of that's off-range to shoot is the Sutter wildlife area (think that's what they call it, locals just call it "The Sutter Bypass") It's a hunting area in the gray area between Yuba City and Sutter, CA.

      If you decide to go to spenceville, I say change your mind. I've been going there since I was 5 yrs old (22 now) and it's gotten a little hairy. Lots of people not using proper safety and such.
      "Far and away the best prize life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." - Theodore Roosevelt

      Originally posted by rmorris7556
      They teach you secret stuff I can't mention on line.

      Comment

      • #4
        gadjeep
        Senior Member
        • May 2009
        • 1942

        Blm land is legal to shoot on as long as it is done in accordance with the rules lusted on the blm site (backstop, away from roads, water, campsites etc )
        STUFF I HAVE FOR SALE! SCOPE RINGS, Man CAVE FRIDGE, ETC
        http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...30#post7299330
        http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=487541

        STUFF I WANT TO BUY! Glock 20, Marlin model 39

        Comment

        • #5
          M1A Rifleman
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 3691

          Its not too difficult to figure out. Anywhere in the National Forest with a safe backstop and not around people, other than that no big deal. Your in sacto, so head up 50 and make a left on ICE HOUSE Road, which leads you to Loon Lake. There are tons of spots that will work and are safe. Take any dirt road to get yourself away from campers. Closer to Sacto is the Mormon Immigrant Trail near Sly Park. Again there are severl places here that are easy to find. You also have the Spenceville Range - iff it is still open.
          The only thing that is worse than an idiot, is someone who argues with one.

          Comment

          • #6
            omgwtfbbq
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2009
            • 3445

            Originally posted by M1A Rifleman
            You also have the Spenceville Range - iff it is still open.
            It is... But you still have to deal with the riffraff, but at the least the range is slightly cleaner.
            "Far and away the best prize life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." - Theodore Roosevelt

            Originally posted by rmorris7556
            They teach you secret stuff I can't mention on line.

            Comment

            • #7
              subijitsu
              Member
              • Oct 2007
              • 293

              Originally posted by omgwtfbbq
              It is... But you still have to deal with the riffraff, but at the least the range is slightly cleaner.
              The range is much cleaner compared to the old days when people would bring out washing machines and big propane tanks to shoot. Still, only time I will even touch spenceville anymore is early in the morning, like sunrise, before the gang bangers, druggies, and idiots wake up and drag their *** out there. Its like the freakin wild west at noon on a Saturday out there anymore. Unfortunate.

              Comment

              • #8
                hhorita
                Junior Member
                • Mar 2008
                • 1

                I shoot on the land off of the Mormon Immigrant Trail. It is a bit of a drive but worth it. I think I share everyone's concerns about keeping it clean and safe. So far it is not bad. Maybe we should all take an oath to keep it clean safe and secret (except to everyone on the Internet).

                Comment

                • #9
                  Rigma
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 988

                  Here is my advice.

                  Go to a Sacramento area Calguns Clean-Up event.

                  I did this a short while back and spent some time doing something productive (cleaning up), meeting some great people, and even was shown a "secret" spot.

                  Too bad I can't remember how to get back there...

                  Keep an eye out for a Sacto area clean up event, I know some are in the works!
                  I don't know how political I am, I don't get into all that crap....I just love freedom...
                  -Kaziah Hancock

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Major Danger
                    Member
                    • Aug 2010
                    • 110

                    Sounds good, thanks for the advise. I'm all about stewardship and leaving a place better-looking than when I got there, but how much skeet dust should people clean up after shooting? Or are we more concerned about trash and shot up appliances down range than a pile of orange skeet chunks?

                    Aren't they biodegradable?

                    I just want to be part of the solution.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1