Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

870 receivers?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bu-bye
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 2835

    870 receivers?

    Hi guy,

    I've been on a Shotgun kick for that last couple weeks. Took my Grandfathers spotless 50 year old, 870 Wingmaster out to play for the first time in a long time. I ran target, buck and slug loads through her and really had a lot of fun. I was quite shocked how accurate the slug rounds were. Even though it was only 15 yards it was makes one BIG hole through the X.

    Anywho the current barrel on the gun is 26 inches. I'd like to spend a little money and turn it into a Tacti-cool shotgun with 18 inch barrel, PG and adjustable stock. While searching online I see different barrels for what seems to be different receivers (Express, Wingmaster, ....) What is the difference between the two receivers? Is it just a barrel design difference or is there more?

    Thanks
    "Calling an illegal alien a "undocumented worker" is like calling the drug dealer hanging around outside your kid's school an "unlicensed pharmacist."
  • #2
    AJAX22
    I need a LIFE!!
    • May 2006
    • 14980

    Unless you have a 2 3/4inch only barrel on your wingmaster, it should be interchangable with a modern produciton barrel. (or so I have heard)

    I'm currently building up a C&R wingmaster into my ubertactical ghetoblaster conqueso + the kitchen sink

    I haven't boughten a barrel yet, so if you find out anything different, please post it.
    Youtube Channel Proto-Ordnance

    Subscribe to Proto Ordnance

    Comment

    • #3
      -hanko
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      CGN Contributor
      • Jul 2002
      • 14174

      Originally posted by bu-bye
      Took my Grandfathers spotless 50 year old, 870 Wingmaster out to play for the first time in a long time.

      I'd like to spend a little money and turn it into a Tacti-cool shotgun with 18 inch barrel, PG and adjustable stock.

      While searching online I see different barrels for what seems to be different receivers (Express, Wingmaster, ....) What is the difference between the two receivers? Is it just a barrel design difference or is there more?

      Thanks
      I'd keep grandpa's sg just the way it is, it's obviously already accurate and a blast to use.

      Only difference between receivers & barrels is finish. Keep in mind that a you can't shoot a 3" shell unless both receiver and barrel are 3"...

      -hanko
      True wealth is time. Time to enjoy life.

      Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

      Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

      A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

      Comment

      • #4
        stator
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2002
        • 850

        Originally posted by -hanko
        I'd keep grandpa's sg just the way it is, it's obviously already accurate and a blast to use.

        -hanko
        I agree as it is probably better to start with the cheaper 870 or 500 versions during a Big 5 sale.
        **
        3 Rules of Skeet: Head on the gun, eye on the target, and proper lead
        M1a - If you can see it, you can hit it
        Friends don't let friends vote demorat

        Comment

        • #5
          Blue
          Calguns Addict
          • Oct 2005
          • 8071

          Originally posted by stator
          I agree as it is probably better to start with the cheaper 870 or 500 versions during a Big 5 sale.
          I think the 18" 870 with full length tube is on sale right now for $319. I'd start with that and keep grandpa's shotty the way it is.
          Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
          Let my aim be true and my hand faster
          than those who would seek to destroy me.
          Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
          Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
          And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
          sigpic
          NRA Member

          Comment

          • #6
            gunsnrovers
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2005
            • 1777

            I have a 1950 Wingmaster (1st model year). Wanted a little shorter barrel for it and picked up a very clean mid-1960's 2 3/4" rifle sighted 18" barrel of ebay for all of $75 delivered.

            For my 870 tactical, I bought a used Sac PD trade in for $175 and built from there.

            No way would I put on a pistol grip or other goodies. Cheap 870's are too plentiful to tear up a nice one.
            - Jeff
            كافر - Infidel
            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              bu-bye
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2005
              • 2835

              Alright you guys convinced me. Pappy's scatter gun will stay as is.

              After I get my Saiga I'll get another cheap 870. I guess if I'm going to trick her out I might as well look for a cheap used 870 and junk everything but the receiver and guts.
              "Calling an illegal alien a "undocumented worker" is like calling the drug dealer hanging around outside your kid's school an "unlicensed pharmacist."

              Comment

              • #8
                blkA4alb
                Moderator Emeritus
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Feb 2006
                • 3576

                Just for further reenforcement, keep that gun the way it is. It gives you an excuse to buy another .
                Please, calm down.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Nismo
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • 569

                  All 870 barrels will work but it depends on the receiver. - a 2 3/4 rec. can use any 870 barrel but can only load 2 3/4 shells. A 3" mag rec. Can use any 870 barrel and shoot anything up to 3"

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    AJAX22
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • May 2006
                    • 14980

                    hehe, thats why I bought a C&R 870 receiver thats compleatly stripped. I didn't want to feel bad about bubbaing up a nice shotgun.
                    Youtube Channel Proto-Ordnance

                    Subscribe to Proto Ordnance

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Teletiger7
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 2720

                      Originally posted by Blue84s10
                      I think the 18" 870 with full length tube is on sale right now for $319. I'd start with that and keep grandpa's shotty the way it is.
                      +1 leave that 50 year old shotgun the way it is. It probably has more character and style than any new "tacticool" shotgun. Go get yourself an express 870 and go crazy accesssorizing it for Tacticoolness.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1