Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

mossberg replacement spring

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Rob454
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Feb 2006
    • 11254

    mossberg replacement spring

    EDIT / UPDATE

    So i got my new Wolff springs. I put them on What a difference. I had to actually press my shells in rather than simply flicking them in. And the nice thing with the 590 spring my capacity just went from 7+1 to 8+1 the last round is tight but it fits On mine it was really really tight to add the last shot shell in it. So it may not work on all. In some cases you may need to cut off a coil or two on the tip end of the spring. I have a few springs and im gonna guinea pig one of them to see how it feeds and works after I cut off enough coil.

    UPDATE UPDATE
    I guinea pig one of the springs. Not gonna work correctly. the last shel is barely holding in there and pops out as the lever comes down to feed ramp a round. I carefully cut the spring down to the point where it fed the round reliably but it requires too much cutting IMO. The spring needs to be stretched out to regain the length loss and while it will work and feed reliably I cannot sit here and say this is a worthwhile mod. No big deal i got three springs so i didnt mind sacrificing 7$ to see if I can gain capacity.

    yes it will work, but I suggest not doing it.






    I need a replacement spring for my mossberg mag tube. after 16 years of being loaded basically 99% of the time its finally weakened enough for me to replace it. yes its 16 years old but Its been weakening for a while but its still OK. But It's time

    So what is the best replacement spring?
    This is the shotgun i have its a 20 inch Model 500. Someone said Wolf springs here's a link. is this the one? The regular mossberg factory springs are available also for 3.99$ These are a little more expensive but i can understand that if they are better.


    Last edited by Rob454; 06-17-2010, 7:54 PM.
  • #2
    Manic Mechanic
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2010
    • 602

    I"ll second the request on replacement spring info.

    Thanks in advance.



    I've got the same model.
    Last edited by Manic Mechanic; 06-09-2010, 9:57 PM.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

    "I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory, I love only that which they defend."-J.R.R. Tolkein

    Comment

    • #3
      Rob454
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Feb 2006
      • 11254

      Originally posted by Manic Mechanic
      I"ll second the request on replacement spring info.

      Thanks in advance.



      I've got the same model.
      Just slightly modified i see

      Comment

      • #4
        bsg
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Jan 2009
        • 25954

        Manic Mechanic; Zombies fear you....

        Comment

        • #5
          jumpthestack
          Member
          • Mar 2010
          • 360

          Wolff is good to go and that is the correct link.
          P.S. the Mossberg factory ones are not that good. If you google Mossberg magazine spring, most of the hits are people complaining about them.
          ---
          http://jumpthestack.blogspot.com/

          List of San Francisco Bay Area shooting classes

          Comment

          • #6
            Rob454
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Feb 2006
            • 11254

            Originally posted by jumpthestack
            Wolff is good to go and that is the correct link.
            P.S. the Mossberg factory ones are not that good. If you google Mossberg magazine spring, most of the hits are people complaining about them.
            yeah I just found out about it since I started looking for a spring. Surprises me cause my original spring worked very well for a long long time. but its finally getting weak soi figure I might as well replace it.
            Thanx for the info

            I ordered a pack of three
            Last edited by Rob454; 06-10-2010, 4:51 AM.

            Comment

            • #7
              Rob454
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Feb 2006
              • 11254

              New info added bump

              Comment

              • #8
                Manic Mechanic
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2010
                • 602

                I took the Wicked Beast apart because I had a safety malfunction at Cherry Creek. The screw came unscrewed.


                Spring differences:

                Mossberg = 24"
                Wolf = 28"
                Wire diameter is the same = 0.042

                Depth of my magazine tube is 19.25"


                My thoughts on this are that the extra length works well to give the extra push the Mossberg spring was lacking. The spring probably reaches coil bind just before being able to load that last 2 3/4" shell. I haven't tried but you can probably get (7) 3" shells in. That makes for 1.75 extra length of shells in the magazine. Just my 2 cents.

                I put it back together after making some other alterations.
                Last edited by Manic Mechanic; 06-28-2010, 11:00 PM. Reason: Because I can't spell.
                Si vis pacem, para bellum

                "I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory, I love only that which they defend."-J.R.R. Tolkein

                Comment

                • #9
                  crackerman
                  Senior Member
                  • May 2009
                  • 2441

                  How did you take the mossberg mag tube off?
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Rob454
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Feb 2006
                    • 11254

                    Originally posted by auxcoastie
                    How did you take the mossberg mag tube off?

                    It unscrews from the receiver once you remove the barrel

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1