Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Benelli Nova Misfire

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Just-in
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2010
    • 2176

    Benelli Nova Misfire

    I have a brand new Benelli Nova. Put 50 cartridges through it of Remmington
    2 3/4 game load and it misfired about 6 or 7 times. At random. Dented the primer but didn't fire. One shell I distinctly remember it being dented off center.
    If shells were re-loaded they'd fire.

    Is it my gun or the cartridges? Are these cartridges known to misfire? I bought them just for sport and they were on sale at Big 5.
    Anything I could replace? Firing pin? Spring?
    Didn't clean it before the first shoot but it got a good cleaning yesterday.
    A little spooky and frustrating since I purchased this gun with the intention of being my home security go to guy and once when I picked it up I got two clicks back to back before a boom...
  • #2
    aippi
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2009
    • 2302

    I have not heard of issues with that model so my first thought is the ammo. Try some different ammo and if the issue goes away, just shoot up the junk stuff and don't buy it again. If it is not the ammo, weapon goes back for repair. The Remington game loads are a better quality then the target loads but getting a bad batch is possible. Certainly rule out the ammo before you send the weapon back
    JD McGuire, Owner
    AI&P Tactical
    Remington Law Enforcement Armorer
    Mossberg LE Armorer
    www.aiptactical.com
    www.tacticalgunslings.com
    If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.

    Comment

    • #3
      Just-in
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2010
      • 2176

      I"m hoping it was the shells but it seems weird cause they were boxes of 25 and a few from each box gave me trouble.
      I'll buy some of a different brand and see what happens thank you.

      Comment

      • #4
        Capt Jack
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2008
        • 1046

        Originally posted by Just-in
        I have a brand new Benelli Nova. Put 50 cartridges through it of Remmington
        2 3/4 game load and it misfired about 6 or 7 times. At random. Dented the primer but didn't fire. One shell I distinctly remember it being dented off center.
        If shells were re-loaded they'd fire.

        Is it my gun or the cartridges? Are these cartridges known to misfire? I bought them just for sport and they were on sale at Big 5.
        Anything I could replace? Firing pin? Spring?
        Didn't clean it before the first shoot but it got a good cleaning yesterday.
        A little spooky and frustrating since I purchased this gun with the intention of being my home security go to guy and once when I picked it up I got two clicks back to back before a boom...
        Does that mean you did not clean it before you shot it the first time and had the misfires?

        Its always a good idea to clean it before your first shot, if anything just to make sure everything is where it should be and properly lubed. If I misread that part then I would try and rule out the ammo as others have said. Otherwise, back to Benelli. You might also get some help at Big 5 but I kinda doubt that

        Comment

        • #5
          Just-in
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2010
          • 2176

          Yeah I did not clean it before I first shot it. I'll buy some more ammo try to shoot it hopefully it behaves I don't want to be without my gun for an unknown length of time I've never heard of warranty repairs moving quickly.

          Comment

          • #6
            hkusp9c
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2009
            • 690

            that sucks. I picked up my nova last week and I was gonna go to the range this weekend too. It's probably the shells. I've never heard any misfire problems with nova.

            Comment

            • #7
              Markus
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2010
              • 1762

              let me know how this works out for you as I have been thinking of trading in my Mossy 500 for a Benelli Nova.

              Comment

              • #8
                Turo
                Calguns Addict
                • May 2009
                • 5066

                The fact that it misfired with different shells from different boxes, and that you mentioned the pin hit off-center at least once, I would point to the gun as the problem. It very possibly could have been due to not being cleaned, so I'd check that as well.
                I've never had a factory shotgun shell misfire, but I guess it's possible.
                "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."
                -Thomas Jefferson

                Comment

                • #9
                  Just-in
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2010
                  • 2176

                  Well I cleaned it and hope to get it to the range today. If it doesn't behave anyone want to purchase a benelli nova with case with 75 rounds through it.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Dirtbiker
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2007
                    • 2810

                    I wouldn't dump it just yet. I'm sure Benelli can fix that pretty easy. The reputation on the Nova is really good but every now and then one has a problem.

                    Car, motorcycles, guns, and women are all know to have problems from time to time.
                    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

                    Thomas Jefferson

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      2Cute2Shoot
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2010
                      • 1038

                      Well I don't know about you guys, but I fired my uncle's benelli (don't know exactly which model), but it misfired on me all the time. I didn't want the stock against my shoulder because it really hurts...so I was holding it low and off to the side. He told me that this didn't allow the gun to cycle, and that it had to be firm up against my body for the next round to load right. For all that money he spent on a benelli, I didn't like that feature. I guess they aren't the shotgun for me!

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Turo
                        Calguns Addict
                        • May 2009
                        • 5066

                        Originally posted by 2Cute2Shoot
                        Well I don't know about you guys, but I fired my uncle's benelli (don't know exactly which model), but it misfired on me all the time. I didn't want the stock against my shoulder because it really hurts...so I was holding it low and off to the side. He told me that this didn't allow the gun to cycle, and that it had to be firm up against my body for the next round to load right. For all that money he spent on a benelli, I didn't like that feature. I guess they aren't the shotgun for me!
                        That's the nature of a semi-auto shotgun. It needs something stable to slide the bolt back, because it moves a long way. No semi auto shotgun I've ever shot would cycle the action while "shooting from the hip." It's just how it works. Besides, the recoil from most semi-auto shotguns is relatively soft.
                        "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."
                        -Thomas Jefferson

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          wu_dot_com
                          Senior Member
                          • Feb 2010
                          • 1362

                          Originally posted by 2Cute2Shoot
                          Well I don't know about you guys, but I fired my uncle's benelli (don't know exactly which model), but it misfired on me all the time. I didn't want the stock against my shoulder because it really hurts...so I was holding it low and off to the side. He told me that this didn't allow the gun to cycle, and that it had to be firm up against my body for the next round to load right. For all that money he spent on a benelli, I didn't like that feature. I guess they aren't the shotgun for me!
                          make sure the stock is firmly rested on area above your armpit prior to firing to reduce the impact of the recoil. if you leave a gap between the stock and your shoulder while firing, the recoil will make the stock act as a jack hammer.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Dirtbiker
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2007
                            • 2810

                            Originally posted by 2Cute2Shoot
                            Well I don't know about you guys, but I fired my uncle's benelli (don't know exactly which model), but it misfired on me all the time. I didn't want the stock against my shoulder because it really hurts...so I was holding it low and off to the side. He told me that this didn't allow the gun to cycle, and that it had to be firm up against my body for the next round to load right. For all that money he spent on a benelli, I didn't like that feature. I guess they aren't the shotgun for me!
                            Is that you in your avi

                            Benelli inertia driven shotguns kick hard, really hard. If you don't like the way that feels you should try a gas driven gun like a Benelli M4, Remington 1100, or a Mossberg 930.

                            The Benelli the OP was talking about is a pump shotgun. He isn't having problems with cycling but when he pulled the trigger it didn't fire.
                            To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

                            Thomas Jefferson

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              2Cute2Shoot
                              Senior Member
                              • Mar 2010
                              • 1038

                              Originally posted by wu_dot_com
                              make sure the stock is firmly rested on area above your armpit prior to firing to reduce the impact of the recoil. if you leave a gap between the stock and your shoulder while firing, the recoil will make the stock act as a jack hammer.
                              Hi Wu dot, that 'above the armpit' area can be very sensitive for some girls! I've tried to find a place to put the stock where it wouldn't hurt, but I just couldn't! I think I'll stick with the 5.56. I can put that anywhere

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1