Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

410 vs 20 ga

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jharry
    Member
    • Apr 2007
    • 257

    410 vs 20 ga

    My son is 15 and quite small. We adopted him and his bio parents are both small so we suspect he will remain on the light side. I am going to buy him a shotgun soon and am looking at 410 vs 20. I just don't know how to relate the recoil between the 2.

    I like that the 20 has a bigger pattern and ammo is cheaper, but if it is too much, it's too much.

    I fugure to use a low base 20 to keep the recoil to a minimum.

    Any thoughts, suggestions?
  • #2
    say12
    Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 197

    20.ga.

    I would go with the 20ga. Winchester makes a low recoil 20 ga.round. That is what i did for my Grand son.
    NRA Patron member.

    Comment

    • #3
      Argonaut
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 1352

      20 gauge gas operated semi auto would be a very light recoil gun. A youth grade 11-87, If he outgrows the stock it is easy to replace it with a longer one. 410's are fun but not in the same class as a 20 gauge.

      Comment

      • #4
        CSACANNONEER
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Dec 2006
        • 44094

        20g all the way! While I really enjoy .410s, they do not pattern the same as other shotguns. Instead, they tend to string the shot out more. .410s are considered more of an experts gun so, stick with a 20g or even a 28g. If you happen to find a good deal on a Berretta 391 in either 12 or 20, I might be willing to part with my youth stock for it. They are incredibly hard to come by unless they are purchased with the gun.
        NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
        California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
        Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
        Utah CCW Instructor


        Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

        sigpic
        CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

        KM6WLV

        Comment

        • #5
          TKM
          Onward through the fog!
          CGN Contributor
          • Jul 2002
          • 10657

          You're a good dad.

          Maybe an 1100? They come in 410 but are hard to come by. The 20 is more readily available and recoil pad technology has come a long way.

          We have lots of Asian Calgunners with kids who shoot. I'm sure that the collective CG braintrust will be along to help.
          It's not PTSD, it's nostalgia.

          Comment

          • #6
            olhunter
            CGN Contributor
            • Dec 2008
            • 3707

            +1 on the .20. You'll be selling the .410 anyway when he outgrows it.

            Lots of good advice on the previous posts.

            His .20 will last a lifetime. I still hunt with mine all the time.
            It cannot be inherited, nor can it ever be purchased.
            You and no one alive can buy it for any price. It is impossible to rent and cannot be lent.
            You alone and our own have earned it with...Your sweat, blood and lives. You own it forever.

            The title is....."United States Marine".


            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              foxtrotuniformlima
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 3461

              I started on a 410, my brother a 20. 30+ years later I'm a better shot. By far. It isn't even close.

              but a Beretta 391 or Rem 1100 in 20 will kick less than a single shot 410. Or so my 13 yo son tells me.
              Anyone press will hear the fat lady sing.

              Originally posted by Vin Scully
              Don't be sad that it's over. Smile because it happened.
              Originally posted by William James
              I cannot allow your ignorance, however great, to take precedence over my knowledge, however small.
              Originally posted by BigPimping
              When you reach the plateau, there's always going to be those that try to drag you down. Just keep up the game, collect the scratch, and ignore those who seek to drag you down to their level.
              .

              Comment

              • #8
                Mike A
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2007
                • 1209

                If you're going to buy a single shot, like an NEF, you could start with a .410 and add a larger guage barrel later. If not, I'd go with the 20 and search for the low recoil ammo mentioned above. Economy low-based shells don't necessarily kick much less than high-base; remember both must generate enough pressure and recoil to operate gas and recoil operated auto shotguns, so they can't be too "soft."

                Fit of the gun is a BIG deal with regard to felt recoil. If he's little, he needs a little (short) stock. You can add a longer one when he grows. But don't try to start with a full-sized stock; it won't fit on his shoulder and will end up sitting on his upper arm and bang the crap out of him. Not good for repeat performances and happy practice. Also avoid slug loads until he's bigger; they really kick and the rigid position needed to aim rather than point a shotgun accentuates the recoil more than the looser "swing" of wingshooting.

                Comment

                • #9
                  jharry
                  Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • 257

                  Thanks to all so far - I am leaning towards the 20, so it looks like I am thinking the right way to go.

                  The guns that caught my attention the most at this point are the Mossbergs. The 510 mini with an adjustable stock or the 500 in the Youth size. The mini is 18 1/2" barrel, the 500 has 20 "

                  I do like the sound of the changeble barrel on the NEF, but will probably opt for Mossberg, Rem or Winchester. I have all three and each functions well for me.

                  I am still wanting any feedback, so please keep it coming. - Thanks

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    ysr_racer
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2006
                    • 12014

                    My 5 foot tall wife shoots a Remington youth 1100 in 20ga. No recoil.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      JohnnyC
                      Junior Member
                      • Feb 2009
                      • 87

                      My vote 20g. Cheaper, and if he's ready then give it a shot.
                      Love my Girls!

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Revoman
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2007
                        • 2395

                        Another 20 vote. If you go with a 410, while the recoil is negligible, many cannot shoot that round well enough to hit targets and get frustrated and quit.
                        410's are about $11 a box, 20's around $7.
                        Use light load 20's and you should be better off. The 20's come in a wide band of loads so you should be able to use it for much more and for a longer period of time.
                        Get a 20.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          ChaparralCommando
                          Member
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 475

                          20 ga is less expensive and more easily available than 28 or .410, plus with a recoil pad and light target loads it should be fine.
                          And much more likely to hit the target!
                          Last edited by ChaparralCommando; 03-06-2010, 9:42 PM.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            mjsweims
                            Senior Member
                            • May 2009
                            • 807

                            No question. Go with the 20. It has a bigger pattern and he will have an easier time making shots - that will get his confidence and enjoymaent level up. (A 410 may, as one poster said, may make you a better shot down the road, but your son will be missing many more to start with and may get disheartened.)
                            There are plenty of light factory loads available, or start to reload if you shoot enough.
                            Jack

                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              jharry
                              Member
                              • Apr 2007
                              • 257

                              Thanks for all the posts ...... It looks I'm going to go with a youth version of the Mossberg 500. As he gets older, I can change the stock and the barrell so it can grow with him... 20 ga seems to work best....Thanks

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1