Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

CA Laws on Semiauto shotguns

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TeamHamr
    Junior Member
    • Jun 2009
    • 35

    CA Laws on Semiauto shotguns

    I had someone tell me that our wonderful state gun laws have a capacity limit on Semiauto shotguns....

    Now I know that detachable magazines are not allowed but was not aware that there was a capacity limit on non-detachable magazine semiauto models?

    Just trying to figure out if this is in fact true or not. My inital research into this is showing me that I find no evidence of this being in effect. Can anyone out there help me validate this?
    TeamHamr
    Rubbin is Racin....Son....
  • #2
    ke6guj
    Moderator
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Nov 2003
    • 23725

    No state limit of the capacity of a shotgun. You can legally attach a large-capacity magazine to a shotgun in CA without violating any laws. yes, it would need to be mag-locked in CA if it was a semi-auto shotgun. What there are are restrictions on the acquistion of large-capacity magazines.
    Jack



    Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

    No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

    Comment

    • #3
      Dirtbiker
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2007
      • 2810



      Follow the flowchart for the exact rules, but generally...

      Pumps, pretty much anything goes except for federal regulations.

      26+ over all length
      18+ barrels

      Semi autos get a bit dicy but.

      No detachable mag fed shotguns like the Saiga series (easily fixed with a BB type device)
      Only one evil feature allowed on a semi auto SG, like a pistol grip or a folding stock, but not both.
      Flash hiders are not considered evil on a shotgun.
      To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

      Thomas Jefferson

      Comment

      • #4
        ke6guj
        Moderator
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Nov 2003
        • 23725

        right, the shotgun flowchart covers the legality of the shotgun. How the magazines might be acquired is not covered by the flowchart. For instance, if I am lent a large-capacity Saiga-12 magazine at the range, I can use it in a Saiga-12 without violating any shotgun laws. But, I can't add a +6 mag extension to a Remington 11-87. That would be an illegal manufacture of a large-capacity magazine. The shotgun itself isn't illegal, because possession of a large-capacity magazine is not illegal, but there was a crime committed making the large-cap magazine. To take it further, if I was at the range, I could have an LEO friend install the mag extension so that we could play with it at the range. Then, before he left, I could remove the extension and put it back to stock. That would be legal since an LEO can make a large-cap mag and lend it to me at the range.
        Jack



        Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

        No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

        Comment

        • #5
          edlacy
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Apr 2008
          • 239

          Originally posted by ScottB
          3 shell limit for hunting only - 1 in the chamber two in the magazine. There is a removable plug in the mags for this purpose.

          Caution: Guys take it out and forget to put it back in when they go hunting. Its a very popular ticket for DFG and F&WS wardens to write
          The 3-round shell restriction does not apply when using a shotgun to take furbearing or nongame species, or when shooting targets, skeet/trap, sporting clays, etc. (CCR Title 14, sections 465 and 475).

          http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/.
          3 John 4

          Comment

          • #6
            gose
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2005
            • 3953

            Originally posted by ke6guj
            right, the shotgun flowchart covers the legality of the shotgun. How the magazines might be acquired is not covered by the flowchart. For instance, if I am lent a large-capacity Saiga-12 magazine at the range, I can use it in a Saiga-12 without violating any shotgun laws. But, I can't add a +6 mag extension to a Remington 11-87. That would be an illegal manufacture of a large-capacity magazine. The shotgun itself isn't illegal, because possession of a large-capacity magazine is not illegal, but there was a crime committed making the large-cap magazine. To take it further, if I was at the range, I could have an LEO friend install the mag extension so that we could play with it at the range. Then, before he left, I could remove the extension and put it back to stock. That would be legal since an LEO can make a large-cap mag and lend it to me at the range.
            I dont think the penal code has any exceptions for LEOs to manufacture highcaps in state, just to buy.
            With Oden on our side.

            Comment

            • #7
              ke6guj
              Moderator
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Nov 2003
              • 23725

              Originally posted by gose
              I dont think the penal code has any exceptions for LEOs to manufacture highcaps in state, just to buy.
              LEOs can buy, and they can import by
              12020(b)(20) The sale to, lending to, transfer to, purchase by, receipt of, or importation into this state of, a large capacity magazine by a sworn peace officer as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2 who is authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope of his or her duties.
              and they can manufacture per
              12020(b)(30)(B) The manufacture of a large-capacity magazine for use by a sworn peace officer as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2 who is authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope of his or her duties.
              Jack



              Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

              No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

              Comment

              • #8
                sleepur606
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2007
                • 1994

                Ok, I have a relevant question:

                I'm looking at getting a Benelli M2 or M4, not sure. If I change the magazine capacity to accept more than stock, up to the legal 10 rounds (I think that's max), have I done anything wrong? Where does 922r come in? I need help.

                Comment

                • #9
                  ke6guj
                  Moderator
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Nov 2003
                  • 23725

                  the shotgun and rifle charts do not cover 922(r) since 922(r) does not prohibit possession.
                  Jack



                  Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

                  No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    G-Solutions
                    Senior Member
                    • Mar 2010
                    • 672

                    5-shot limit for Pistol Grip Semi-Autos?

                    I just looked at the chart and either there's something missing or someone at Turners in FV told me some Bravo-Sierra (more likely with the most recent experiences).

                    They told me that semi-autos with pistol grip cannot exceed five round magazine capacity... they hence do not sell extensions for Benelli M2 mag tubes.

                    Is their assessment correct?
                    Upcoming Classes:
                    Martial Blade Concepts Seminar with Michael Janich
                    March 16-17, 2024 - Anaheim, CA
                    www.gebhardsolutions.com

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ke6guj
                      Moderator
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Nov 2003
                      • 23725

                      there is no state or federal law that limits a PG'ed semi-auto shotgun from having a 5-round mag tube. That is why it isn't in the flowchart.

                      Now, 922(r) might apply to the assembly of an imported shotgun with that mag extension, and there are ways to deal iwth swapping out foreign parts for domestic parts.. But 922(r) does not prohibit possession, and hte flowchart deals with the legality of hte shotgun as it sits there.
                      Jack



                      Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

                      No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        crazy
                        Senior Member
                        • May 2009
                        • 1120

                        I think you are mixing state and federal laws. 922r is a federal law that has to do with guns that are imported for sporting purposes. You can't modify an imported "sporting" gun if it has x number of non-US made parts. That is why you see US made parts for AK's and Benellis. That is to bring the foreign parts count down. Someone might have more to add or make a correction. I get a headache whenever I try to figure this out.

                        P.S. I have seen Remington semi-auto shotguns with PG and mag extensions from the factory.
                        .
                        Things I have for sale.

                        https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1646789

                        https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1645958

                        https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1645863

                        Legal disclaimer: Opinions are like buttholes. Everyone has one, including me.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          crazy
                          Senior Member
                          • May 2009
                          • 1120

                          Originally posted by ke6guj
                          there is no state or federal law that limits a PG'ed semi-auto shotgun from having a 5-round mag tube. That is why it isn't in the flowchart.

                          Now, 922(r) might apply to the assembly of an imported shotgun with that mag extension, and there are ways to deal iwth swapping out foreign parts for domestic parts.. But 922(r) does not prohibit possession, and hte flowchart deals with the legality of hte shotgun as it sits there.
                          What he said.
                          .
                          Things I have for sale.

                          https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1646789

                          https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1645958

                          https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1645863

                          Legal disclaimer: Opinions are like buttholes. Everyone has one, including me.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            AR-Ballistic
                            Member
                            • Nov 2007
                            • 468

                            Does anyone know the exact AMOUNT of U.S. made parts that will allow me to change my Benelli M4's mag tube to a full length mag tube and still be 922r complient. Also maybe a recommendation of parts. Thank you. Mike
                            Last edited by AR-Ballistic; 03-05-2010, 1:58 PM.
                            Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

                            Ronald Reagan

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              ROCKETW19
                              Senior Member
                              • Aug 2007
                              • 705

                              Originally posted by AR-Ballistic
                              Does anyone know the exact AMOUNT of U.S. made parts that will allow me to change my Benelli M4's mag tube to a full length mag tube and still be 922r complient. Also maybe a recommendation of parts. Thank you. Mike
                              you need to swap out 3

                              kips tube 1
                              follower 2
                              and 3 is tricky either a new forend or mesa tac is comming out with a new shorter LOP stock.
                              and maybe a good idea depending on price is new pistons. there is a guy on the other fourm making thm as we speak.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1