Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

SureFire Forend (LED vs. Incandescent)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • NERVOUS
    Junior Member
    • Dec 2009
    • 76

    SureFire Forend (LED vs. Incandescent)

    I already tried searching, but did not find this particular question asked before... Which type of light is better and why?

    The LED models are more expensive, but they have lower maximum output ratings (80 lumens for LED vs. 120 lumens for Incandescent).

    The world’s finest illumination tools and tactical gear for those who go in harm’s way and who demand the ultimate in performance, innovation, and quality.


    Thank you.
    JA
  • #2
    The Cable Guy
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2008
    • 1277

    On my surefire 870 forend, when I had it mounted (Forsale btw), I had a cree Q5 LED drop in. Much brighter than both bulbs surefire offers with the forends. Cost me $10. It's brighter, has more throw, lasts longer and is very cost effective.

    www.theshootersblog.com

    Comment

    • #3
      aippi
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2009
      • 2302

      the LED's seem to work great indoors but don't have the range of the incandesents. I have property and out buildings and need the light more outside then in. Also, the incandesents seem to have a center spot and I have found that it acts as a secondary sighting system. Put that spot on something and it is going to catch buckshot. The LED light is more even and does not offer this.
      JD McGuire, Owner
      AI&P Tactical
      Remington Law Enforcement Armorer
      Mossberg LE Armorer
      www.aiptactical.com
      www.tacticalgunslings.com
      If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.

      Comment

      • #4
        Fuzzy5
        Member
        • Dec 2007
        • 246

        LEDs have become superior to incandescents in pretty much every important category. LEDs are brighter and far more durable and yet are also more efficient and cooler for the same given output. When you drive the LED at reduced current, it becomes exponentially more efficient, so low-power modes on LEDs have crazy runtimes. The only area where I still really prefer an incan is color rendition, especially if illuminating outdoor areas that have lots of greens and any colors that have a red component, like earth tones, human skin, etc. In these situations, the colors rendered by an LED look washed out and dull compared to an incan.

        EDIT: Regarding the beam, LEDs can have hotspots just like incans. It all depends on the design of the reflector or optic. I have a couple LEDs that have very tight hotspots while simultaneously featuring generous spill. The hotspots are tight enough that I can definitely use those lights as aiming devices, as JD mentioned. In fact, I always check the alignment of my weaponlights relative to the sights. I had the opportunity to do some low light shooting at a class a few years back and the M3 I used at the time made me look like an ace- I was much faster on target than other students and my groups were tighter, not because I was a great shooter but because I was "cheating" and aiming with the light instead of using the reflected light to silhouette my sights. It was like having a gigantic laser without having to look for a little red dot. On the other hand, the wide, even beams have their place as well. My Surefire L2 has an extremely smooth output with huge spill, a.k.a. the "wall of light" type beam. While its throw is not good, it's awesome for lighting up rooms.
        Last edited by Fuzzy5; 01-09-2010, 11:44 PM.

        Comment

        • #5
          vandal
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2007
          • 2866

          870 Surefire Foreend with Malkoff M60 drop-in... 235 lumens for outdoors. I actually prefer the wider natural beam for inside though.

          Comment

          Working...
          UA-8071174-1