Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Buying my first shotgun

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    Jeffy
    Member
    • Jan 2003
    • 460

    Originally posted by Fabio
    Thats why I want it. Like I said HD is number 1 so if this gun is great at it, its all I need. Seems like the M4 is a winner to me.
    That's not to say that any other shotgun won't be as good though. You might want to do some searching for 922(r). This is not an issue with a 870, 500, 590A1, 930, 1100, 1187, Super Nova, Nova, etc...

    Comment

    • #32
      Go Packers!
      Senior Member
      • May 2009
      • 578

      I'm the one who initially recommended Benelli to you, the Nova pump. I didn't recommend the M4 due to the cost and semi-auto action. To me, the M4 is the ultimate. I wish I could afford one. It has probably been very rare that it was anyone's first firearm, but you won't be disappointed.

      The Mossbergs and Remington 870s that everyone is recommending, have a endless aftermarket of parts and accessories. Not that I am recommending these accessories, but at least you would have the option unlike the M4.

      It sounds like a trip to the gun shop is due so that you can feel each of them out. Some indoor ranges might rent you a 870, Mossberg 500, maybe a Nova (Reed's in Santa Clara does), but not a M4.
      The dirty little secret about freedom is, you're on your own. -Clarence Thomas
      If God didn't want us to eat animals, then why are they made of meat? -Joe Getty, Armstrong & Getty radio show

      Comment

      • #33
        Fabio
        Junior Member
        • Jan 2010
        • 16

        ok, so after thinking about it a while I think I'll be going with the 870.

        Now its just a matter of time, money, and trips to the local gun shop.

        Thanks again.

        Comment

        • #34
          vinny_land
          CGN Contributor
          • Dec 2007
          • 3374

          Just stick with the 870...get an older one because the new ones have the J-lock and some have finishing issues. Remember to keep it simple and practice practice practice. The money saved from buying a Benelli M4 can be used to buy ammo.
          "1911 mag, twinkie, twinkie, cupcake, primary weapon mag"

          sigpic

          Comment

          • #35
            smt77
            Junior Member
            • Sep 2009
            • 95

            Originally posted by vinny_land
            Welcome Fabio to CGN.

            As for a gun first shotgun, the Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 are considered the most hotly debated pair of pump shotguns. Get which one suits your budget and make sure you try them out. If you want the Benelli M4, just save your money and get a Mossberg 930 SPX (poor mans version of the M4). If money is tight but you like the feel of the 870, get a IAC/Norinco 982.
            The Norinco 982 goes on sale at Big 5 for about $200.

            Comment

            • #36
              Fabio
              Junior Member
              • Jan 2010
              • 16

              Originally posted by vinny_land
              Just stick with the 870...get an older one because the new ones have the J-lock and some have finishing issues. Remember to keep it simple and practice practice practice. The money saved from buying a Benelli M4 can be used to buy ammo.
              anywhere I can find them like new? Also whats j-lock?

              Comment

              • #37
                MR.R
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2009
                • 536

                870
                silver bullets with a wood core dipped in pork... I'm ready for armageddon!!!!

                Comment

                • #38
                  FastFinger
                  In Memoriam
                  • Aug 2007
                  • 2983

                  Originally posted by vinny_land
                  Just stick with the 870... Remember to keep it simple and practice practice practice. The money saved from buying a Benelli M4 can be used to buy ammo.
                  And the money saved by buying the Norinco 982 over a new Remington can buy yet even more ammo.
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    vinny_land
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Dec 2007
                    • 3374

                    ^Yeah but he doesnt want to go cheap so he wants the 870. It's his choice it's completely up to him. Im a supporter of the 982 because I own one and it simply works.
                    "1911 mag, twinkie, twinkie, cupcake, primary weapon mag"

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      Go Packers!
                      Senior Member
                      • May 2009
                      • 578

                      Originally posted by Fabio
                      anywhere I can find them like new? Also whats j-lock?
                      It's an extra safety that is operated by a provided "key"/ tool on the receiver that can be switched to fire or safe mode. This is in addition to the normal push button safety.

                      Mine has one. It's the 870 Express, parkerized, about 2.5 yrs old. I wish it didn't have one, one more thing to potentially interfere with it firing.
                      The dirty little secret about freedom is, you're on your own. -Clarence Thomas
                      If God didn't want us to eat animals, then why are they made of meat? -Joe Getty, Armstrong & Getty radio show

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        FloridaEllie
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2010
                        • 87

                        Someone showed me youtube videos of girls about my size firing shotguns. They got completely knocked down and some had bruises on their shoulders and chests. I think a shotgun would be waaay too big for me, but it's cool to make that "click-click" sound for the bad guy to hear and go running out of the house!

                        Are there shotguns that don't do this, or is it just standard that you'll have bruises on whatever the back of the gun is pressed up against?

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          FastFinger
                          In Memoriam
                          • Aug 2007
                          • 2983

                          Those girls on the videos may not have had proper training. Your stance and the way you hold a shotgun has a great effect on its recoil effects. If you look some more I'm sure you can find examples of girls and kids smaller than you having few if any issues with recoil.

                          If you still find recoil an issue there are shells designed for low recoil. You can also try 16 or 20 gauge shotguns.

                          People always speak about the noise of a pump shotgun scaring away a intruder, don't know if there's much evidence to show that actually happens much, I wouldn't count on it. I would count on proper training and practice coupled with the correct equipment for your needs. So pass on the YouTube and find an expert to help set you up.
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            Jeffy
                            Member
                            • Jan 2003
                            • 460

                            Originally posted by FloridaEllie
                            Someone showed me youtube videos of girls about my size firing shotguns. They got completely knocked down and some had bruises on their shoulders and chests. I think a shotgun would be waaay too big for me, but it's cool to make that "click-click" sound for the bad guy to hear and go running out of the house!

                            Are there shotguns that don't do this, or is it just standard that you'll have bruises on whatever the back of the gun is pressed up against?
                            Many of those videos are set up that way, put a non-shooter up against some 3.5" slugs and watch them get into trouble.

                            Stance and ammunition are important. Also, getting the shotgun fitted is crucial. You don't want to be stretching to reach all of the controls. If you're small, then a youth gun might be better but these are usually in 20 gauge. If you want a 12 gauge (more common) then you might have to get the stock adjusted. Going with a semi-auto will also suck up some of the recoil.

                            I don't believe all of the hype for a shotgun making 'the noise'. Most likely, you will be in a defensive position and not kicking in doors and clearing rooms. So as a lone person, your advantages are knowing the layout and stealth. Giving it up to try to scare them away may or may not work. If anything it gives up your position.

                            Also, don't just buy it and leave it in the closet or next to the bed like most people. Use it occasionally at the range so it's not collecting dust. Get familiar with it so everything is second nature. Oh and since this is for HD don't put a lot of useless junk on it.

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              FloridaEllie
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2010
                              • 87

                              Originally posted by Jeffy

                              Also, don't just buy it and leave it in the closet or next to the bed like most people. Use it occasionally at the range so it's not collecting dust. Get familiar with it so everything is second nature. Oh and since this is for HD don't put a lot of useless junk on it.
                              I don't think they're for me. I saw shotguns at the firing range when I was there. the way the guys' shoulders moved back every time they shot. A little too intimidating for me. I think I'll start with a handgun and work my way up.

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                vinny_land
                                CGN Contributor
                                • Dec 2007
                                • 3374

                                ^Like some of the other posts said, if the shotgun is properly fitted and using a "low recoil" round, a shotgun can be manageable for a petite person. My girlfriend is around 5'3'' and she can handle the 982 with high brass loads. Granted she isn't going to be shooting more than 100rnds during a session because it will kill her shoulder but for HD, I think any woman can manage.
                                "1911 mag, twinkie, twinkie, cupcake, primary weapon mag"

                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1