Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

what sup with Big 5 mossberg 500 prices?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • maxwellca21
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2009
    • 954

    what sup with Big 5 mossberg 500 prices?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • #2
    MossbergMan
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2009
    • 1255

    Max,
    K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple Shooter.
    What you are paying for is the adjustable stock w/pistol grip (puts safety out of reach), a shell holder (on the stock, eliminates off side shooting) and a hand loop on the forened (no explaination). If purchased separately, it'd be a hundred bucks or so, maybe. Mostly it's a CSF (Cool S&!T Factor). Un-necessary or poorly placed do-dads IMO.

    The adjustable stock has application. It will fit big shooters and smaller shooters, but on a Mossberg it is wrong. Remingtons, Winchesters, Benellis or any SG with a crossbolt safety at or near the trigger guard it could be an asset. I know there are those out there, some respected trainers included that think the safety on the SG is a decoration or even a nuisance and advocate that it be left "off". I am not one of those. It's merely a matter of training and equipement choices. It's like carrying a DA pistol that has a safety, with the safety off, because you're too lazy to learn to disengage it as part of your presentation.

    Lose the hard "side saddle"on the buttstock. An elastic butt-cuff or better yet a Speed-feed stock is the answer to shells on the buttstock. With the $100 difference you can buy nearly 400 rounds of birdshot at Walmart or a certificate to Front Sight Firearms Training Institute for 2 days of training with your new straight stocked, 5 shot Mossberg 500.
    Larry Renner
    Plus (+) P Proficiency LLC
    NRA and CA. P.O.S.T certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Tactical Instructor.
    You never rise to the occassion, you only sink to your lowest level of training" Unknown.

    Comment

    • #3
      youpock
      Member
      • May 2009
      • 462

      Also keep in mind Big 5's prices are all over the board. Their sale prices and MSRP prices change a lot between weekly ads.

      I got a Rem 887 there for $399.99, when I came back to pick it up there was one marked on the shelf for $599.99, 11 days and $200 dollar increase. Just my .02

      Comment

      • #4
        not-fishing
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2009
        • 2270

        I'm waiting for a Stoeger Defender Double in 12.

        The only bad part is the Defender has a single trigger.

        Maybe I sould get the "Coach" model.
        Spreading the WORD according to COLT. and Smith, Wesson, Ruger, HK, Sig, High Standard, Browning

        Comment

        • #5
          Echidin
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2008
          • 3072


          Yes the only difference, besides the obvious 6 and 8 shot difference, is the adjustable stock. I purchased my 500 8 shot from Big 5 for 279 and bought a head shield and adjustable stock straight from mossberg. Quite frankly I believe it was the better of the two deals since I now had the adjustable stock + the 8 shot capability compared to the 6 shot.

          Comment

          • #6
            Cougar
            Member
            • Nov 2009
            • 101

            As others mentioned, they are all over the place on prices. I'd guess so that their "Sale" prices sound better when you mention the "normal price".

            However.... They do sell both the Mossberg 500 and the Mossberg 590.

            The 590 tends to be $60-90 more than a similarly equipped 500.

            I do not recall the exact differences but allegedly the 590 was Mossberg's answer to some Mil-Spec requirements and military requested changes to the 500. the 590 has a thicker barrel, metal vs plastic trigger guard, and some other seemingly small details.

            Oh yea, the 590 tends to come with the heat shield, sling mounts, and (insert drum roll here) the bayonet lug (whoopie). That bayonet lug can get in the way of some mag tube mounts and other accessories.

            The barrels of 500's and 590's are not interchangeable.

            Personally, I went for 590 with a 8+1 (with 2.75" shells; 7+1 with 3") mag tube, 20" barrel, but I do not feel very strongly about the 590 over the 500.

            Many suggest saving your dough and just get a suitably equipped 500, spend the savings on accessories... Which seems like a pretty valid argument.

            In the attached photo of my 590, I mounted a Streamlight Polytac light on a LaserLyte mag tube mount ADP-TRIR-140, and a 6 round side saddle that I don't really care for too much... It seems like whatever business would need to be conducted would be handled with the mag tub capacity.
            Last edited by Cougar; 02-19-2010, 4:34 PM.

            Comment

            • #7
              Echidin
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2008
              • 3072

              Originally posted by Cougar
              As others mentioned, they are all over the place on prices. I'd guess so that their "Sale" prices sound better when you mention the "normal price".

              However.... They do sell both the Mossberg 500 and the Mossberg 590.

              The 590 tends to be $60-90 more than a similarly equipped 500.

              I do not recall the exact differences but allegedly the 590 was Mossberg's answer to some Mil-Spec requirements and military requested changes to the 500. the 590 has a thicker barrel, metal vs plastic trigger guard, and some other seemingly small details.

              Oh yea, the 590 tends to come with the heat shield, sling mounts, and (insert drum roll here) the bayonet lug (whoopie). That bayonet lug can get in the way of some mag tube mounts and other accessories.

              The barrels of 500's and 590's are not interchangeable.

              Personally, I went for 590 with a 8+1 (with 2.75" shells; 7+1 with 3") mag tube, 20" barrel, but I do not feel very strongly about the 590 over the 500.

              Many suggest saving your dough and just get a suitably equipped 500, spend the savings on accessories... Which seems like a pretty valid argument.

              In the attached photo of my 590, I mounted a Streamlight Polytac light on a LaserLyte mag tube mount ADP-TRIR-140, and a 6 round side saddle that I don't really care for too much... It seems like whatever business would need to be conducted would be handled with the mag tub capacity.
              The 590A1 is what you are referring to and is slightly different from the 590.

              Comment

              • #8
                Cougar
                Member
                • Nov 2009
                • 101

                Originally posted by Echidin
                The 590A1 is what you are referring to and is slightly different from the 590.
                Perhaps..... I'm not clear on the differences between a 590 and the 590A1

                Supposedly the 590A1 is stamped on the receiver of the 590A1, vs "590".

                My 590 came stock with the bayonet lug, sling mounts, heat shield, and I have no idea about the barell... but the receiver is merely stamped as a 590.


                ..... But is does illustrate that there are many different variants of the 500's and the 590's... Mossberg's web site is full of different SKU numbers with slightly differing feature sets.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Echidin
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2008
                  • 3072

                  Very true.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    MasterYong
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 2724

                    I purchased the 500A (the one with the hand loop, adjustable stock, and shell holder on the stock) for $329 on sale at B5 about 6 months ago.

                    I wish I'd got the 8 shot.

                    For the same money, I could have modded the security version, or got a 590, for my needs. The hand loop only gets in the way (I keep meaning to remove it), but the adjustable stock is very nice.

                    YMMV.
                    01001100 01100101 01100001 01110010 01101110 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110011 01110111 01101001 01101101 00100000 01001001 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01110011 01100101 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100100 01101111 01110111 01101110 00100000 01101001 01101110 00100000 01100001 01110010 01101001 01111010 01101111 01101110 01100001 00100000 01100010 01100001 01111001 00101110

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1