Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Moss 500 - interior of receiver scratched

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jah191
    Junior Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 65

    Moss 500 - interior of receiver scratched

    I'm about 200 rounds into my new Big5 mossy and I'm noticing that the bolt seems to have made a gouge on the interior of the receiver. It doesn't look deep, but I can see the silver colored aluminum.

    Is this a bad sign or just common wear on this soft-metaled receiver.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jah191; 12-02-2009, 9:01 AM. Reason: now with pics
  • #2
    maxwellca21
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2009
    • 954

    Si vis pacem, para bellum

    Comment

    • #3
      tba02
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2008
      • 812

      Yeah, mine has the same. It's over 40 years old and still works just fine.

      Comment

      • #4
        JJ1911
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2008
        • 597

        With use, almost any gun will show signs of wear. Rubbing away some of the interior finish is not detrimental to the gun. the interior has moving metal parts, and anytime you have moving parts, even well lubricated parts will show wear.
        The "best" handgun caliber debate rages on, meanwhile I just keep buying low recoil 00 buck.

        Comment

        • #5
          Rob454
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Feb 2006
          • 11254

          Its just wear. Who cares shoot it till it doesnt work anymore then go buy another one. ive had one of my mossys since 1990 and its my most used shotgun. I NEVER had a problem with it. It still looks brand new. And ive shot a ton of ammo through it

          Comment

          • #6
            Hayashi Killian
            Senior Member
            • Jun 2009
            • 617

            Unless this is a trophy gun, only worry if the outside shows wear. If it's the inside, just make sure you're keeping it cleaned + lubed and all will be fine.
            "Ok, sign language 101. This means stay low, this means stack up, and this means I'm gonna punch your lights out if you don't shut up!"

            Comment

            • #7
              QuarterBoreGunner
              Administrator
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Oct 2005
              • 9389

              Don't sweat it; it like the people that worry about brass marks on the shell deflector on their ARs.
              /Chris

              I have a perfect Burning Man attendance record: zero.

              You do know there are more guns in the country than there are in the city.
              Everyone and their mums is packin' round here!
              Like who?
              Farmers.
              Who else?
              Farmers' mums.

              Comment

              • #8
                Merc1138
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Feb 2009
                • 19742

                You're talking about a metal box attached to a metal tube with a bunch of moving metal bits made to contain explosions and fling projectiles at over 1000 feet per second and you're worried about a scratch? Come on now. Especially since we're talking about a Mossberg 500 here of all things "tolerances? what are those?". Your shotgun was made to take a whole lot more than a scratch.

                Comment

                • #9
                  squatting_caveboy
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2009
                  • 141

                  Jah - I have what sounds like exactly the same thing occuring on my Mossberg 500 combo (also purchased from Big 5) I actually completely disassembled my Mossy out of the box and do so on occasion when cleaning. The first few times I did this I had some trouble getting the steel bolt back into the aluminum reciever and thought I made the gouges during that process. Post some pics and we'll compare notes.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1