Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

The best semi-auto for self defense

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Dirtlaw
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Apr 2018
    • 3480

    The best semi-auto for self defense

    What is your first choice for a semi-auto for the purpose of self defense?


    What attributes lead you to make that decision?
  • #2
    ken5714
    Member
    • Sep 2012
    • 164

    Start here with the "Sticky" at the top, "What I Did With My Shotgun". There is a lot of great previous posts regarding this topic. Good Luck...

    Comment

    • #3
      L84CABO
      Calguns Addict
      • Mar 2009
      • 8776

      1) Benelli m4...or m2

      2) Beretta 1301

      But there are no bad choices here if you prefer one over the others. Quality, reliability, proven.
      "Kestryll I wanna lick your doughnut."

      Fighter Pilot

      Comment

      • #4
        tomrkba
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2016
        • 1513

        I'd probably go with a Beretta over a Benelli, but the real answer would be what was available at my LGS. I already have a pump action, so a semiauto would just be nice to have.
        Biden's
        Laptop
        Matters

        Read the Kelly Turnbull novels to see where California is and will go: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kelly+tur..._2_15_ts-doa-p

        Comment

        • #5
          JagerDog
          I need a LIFE!!
          • May 2011
          • 15654

          I can only say I'd trust my Browning B-80 (re-badged beretta 303) with my life. 40 years and many thousands of rounds it's only had one FTE and that was due to ammo. Though it's not in HD mode, I did pick up a short cyl barrel for it.

          None of my shotguns (auto, O/U) are fond of reloaded Federal steel based hulls. Gun clubs (rem) run just fine.
          Last edited by JagerDog; 10-26-2023, 11:04 PM.
          Palestine is a fake country

          No Mas Hamas



          #Blackolivesmatter

          Comment

          • #6
            deadcoyote
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2010
            • 4002

            I’ve used a stoeger M3K in 3 gun. It’s a licensed copy of a benelli M2. It has been 100 percent reliable thus far in several years and about 1500 rounds. I do clean it after every use, which I will admit I don’t do with a pump shotgun.
            Buying a safe and sane firework is like paying a hooker for a hug. I do not see the appeal in it.

            Comment

            • #7
              L-2
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2007
              • 1335

              Here's what I did in 2005 and don't recommend now.
              I bought a Remington 11-87P w/ghost ring sights.
              At the time, it's controls and feel were already similar to my Remington 870P.
              The brand reputation was good and it initially worked fine.
              Later, a shell latch broke and needed replacement. Also, upon racking back the bolt, the initial round coming out of the mag tube would no longer automatically trip the bolt release as it used to do. Instead, I now had depress the bolt release (bottom switch) to send the bolt back forward, although once firing, the fresh rounds did trip bolt release; therefore, not a big deal to me.

              Now, parts and future repairs will be difficult to get done with Remington becoming Remarms. Remarms has zero plans to support the old Remington products.

              Today, I'd be looking at Benelli M4 (although more expensive and probably needing a shorter or shortened stock.

              Or a Beretta 1301, but still needing a shorter stock.

              More likely, a Beretta A300 Ultima Patrol, with lower pricing and furniture which probably doesn't need replacing right from the start.

              Mossberg 940 Tactical, is only a maybe.

              I've not handled any of these four current possibilities as my three pump shotguns do me fine and a semiauto SG isn't a priority right now. I've even considered getting a 4th pump gun vs one of these semiauto SGs, but it'll depend on my mood at the moment.

              OP, let us know what you decide.
              (former) Glock and 1911 Armorer; LEO (now retired)

              Comment

              • #8
                sigstroker
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jan 2009
                • 19890

                I wouldn't use a shotgun for defense, but if I did, and if it hadn't been stolen, my Remington 1100. Very low recoil and lightweight.

                I have a turkish M4 clone, but I haven't shot it enough to know if it's reliable.

                Comment

                • #9
                  boltstop
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2007
                  • 927

                  I have a Benelli M2 that I’ve had for years. Probably thousands of rounds through it by now with no problems at all.

                  Any of the major brands should be fine however - go see what stores in your area carry.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    k1dude
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • May 2009
                    • 15943

                    FN SLP or the Remington V3 Tactical.

                    Simply because I don't like euro shell trips. I prefer the American manual of arms over the euro manual of arms. It's easier and more intuitive to me.
                    Last edited by k1dude; 10-30-2023, 11:09 AM.
                    "Show me a young conservative and I'll show you a man without a heart. Show me an old liberal and I'll show you a man without a brain." - Sir Winston Churchill

                    "I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      newbutold
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2017
                      • 1952

                      Beretta, Benelli, and Winchester have proven themselves to be 100% reliable over many years.
                      Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. Robert J. Hanlon

                      No more dems, rinos, commies, , pinkos, crooks, pedos, frauds, idiots, lunatics, wanna-be dictators, traitors, old fools, or kleptocratic thieves for President from any party.

                      The demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol have defiled the seat of American democracy. Donald J. Trump 1/7/21

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        smittty
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Feb 2008
                        • 6270

                        20 ga stoeger m3020 defense if you like inertia system, or mossberg sa20 turkey model if you like the beretta gas guns.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          theLBC
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Oct 2017
                          • 7368

                          whatever i have

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            JagerDog
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • May 2011
                            • 15654

                            Originally posted by smittty
                            20 ga stoeger m3020 defense if you like inertia system, or mossberg sa20 turkey model if you like the beretta gas guns.
                            Both are ?value propositions?. OP did ask for best.
                            Palestine is a fake country

                            No Mas Hamas



                            #Blackolivesmatter

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              DoNotReply
                              Member
                              • Nov 2016
                              • 344

                              Benelli or Beretta.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1