Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

First Shotgun advice

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #61
    Humboldt Leatherneck
    Member
    • Mar 2018
    • 437

    Originally posted by jet757f
    This is for home defense etc.
    Well I bought this Stevens model 320 12 gauge pump for $189.99 & DROS and tax at Sportsman's Warehouse on Memorial Day weekend 2019. That would work for a home defense shotgun.



    Then I found this used gem a J.C. Higgins model 20/ High Standard model 200 in 12 gauge pump with a 2 and 3/4 inch chamber and a muzzle comp at a local gun shop for $200 & tax and DROS in mid March 2020. I first saw it in in the rack in late January 2020, and it was still there when I next visited about 6 weeks later.

    The J.C. Higgins model 20 is on the top, and one of my Remington 870s below with the ventilated rib barrel and Rem-Choke tube options. I have several barrels that I can swap between the pair of Remington 870s that I have owned for over 30 years now. I had started out hunting and shooting back in the 1970s with a Winchester model 1200 pump shotgun in 12 gauge, that now resides with my brother.



    So by my using a 12 gauge pump shotgun (usually one of my Remington 870s) for waterfowl hunting over the decades, means that I have been doing it all wrong?

    Maybe I need to run out, and try to find one of those over priced semi-auto imported shotguns?
    sigpicMember of the N.R.A., Marine Corps League, and American Legion.

    Comment

    • #62
      Kestryll
      Head Janitor
      • Oct 2005
      • 21614

      Hey Boarhuntor, shut up.
      NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA Life Member / SAF Life Member
      Calguns.net, LLC. - Owner.
      The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
      DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CRPA AND CRPAF NOW!
      Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net or CRPA.

      Comment

      • #63
        TMB 1
        Calguns Addict
        • Dec 2012
        • 7153

        Have to get what you can get now, everything is sold out.
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #64
          W.R.Buchanan
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2008
          • 3401

          Originally posted by edgerly779
          Start with mossberg or 870 with chokes 28" barrel if going for ducks as well as trap shooting , sporting clays, skeet I use a 28" barrel o/u. Get a slug barrel for hd if bear defense in mind. Get a 3" mag. can shoot light fields loads and magnum loads. Will help with non lead hunting loads.
          This is the easiest and best way to go starting out. A 12 ga Mossberg 500 with 2 different barrels will get you anywhere you want to go.

          A 28" barrel with changeable Choke tubes will take care of all your hunting needs and the 18" barrel will be your HD or Bear Defense set up.

          Mossberg actually makes combos like this and they are around $500


          If you decide that you want to upgrade later you can always sell this gun for what you've got in it and move on.

          Also look at https://www.mossberg.com/category/series/500/500-flex/

          Which has many options for stocks and recoil pads, barrels and other things.

          hope this helps.

          Randy
          Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
          Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
          Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
          Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

          It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
          www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

          Comment

          • #65
            jet757f
            Junior Member
            • Dec 2015
            • 85

            A lot of these sound like they would workout good for me..

            Anyone have any idea when they will have stock on anything? I was lucky to just buy a S&W 586. Every time I go to a gun store they seem to have less stock.

            Comment

            • #66
              Ducky's Dad
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2012
              • 737

              It will get worse before it gets better. Between Biden and the pandemic, we are pretty well screwed for a while.

              Comment

              • #67
                naz
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2020
                • 3108

                OP, after you get your shotgun

                If you are in Bay Area and are struggling to find 2.75” #7.5 or #8, PM me and I can sell you 2 flats of factory shells at the cost I paid to help you get start.

                You are also welcome to shoot a few rounds with my M2 (26” barrel, field stock) if that’s helpful in your shopping.

                Comment

                • #68
                  jet757f
                  Junior Member
                  • Dec 2015
                  • 85

                  Thanks but I am in SoCal

                  Comment

                  • #69
                    2761377
                    Senior Member
                    • Jul 2013
                    • 2134

                    Originally posted by jet757f
                    A lot of these sound like they would workout good for me..

                    Anyone have any idea when they will have stock on anything? I was lucky to just buy a S&W 586. Every time I go to a gun store they seem to have less stock.
                    have you been to OC Guns in Lake Forest? It's been a month since I was in there but they had several mo-bergs in stock.
                    MAGA

                    Comment

                    • #70
                      md2020
                      Member
                      • Oct 2010
                      • 148

                      Originally posted by jet757f
                      A lot of these sound like they would workout good for me..

                      Anyone have any idea when they will have stock on anything? I was lucky to just buy a S&W 586. Every time I go to a gun store they seem to have less stock.
                      GunBroker.com... Lots of people there will sell you a shotgun and ship it to you.

                      It works if you know exactly what you want.

                      There is a process you go through with the FFL and it could cost you about $100. But there is nothing more expensive and more wasteful than calling around and driving around to different shops hoping you don't stand in line just to get inside and learn they don't have what you want.
                      Maurice


                      ---------------------------------------------

                      Browning / CZ / Tristar Owner

                      Comment

                      • #71
                        Monterey Gun
                        Junior Member
                        • Sep 2020
                        • 59

                        Originally posted by md2020
                        GunBroker.com... Lots of people there will sell you a shotgun and ship it to you.

                        It works if you know exactly what you want.

                        There is a process you go through with the FFL and it could cost you about $100. But there is nothing more expensive and more wasteful than calling around and driving around to different shops hoping you don't stand in line just to get inside and learn they don't have what you want.
                        Speaking of FFLs... Where do you go through to get yours?

                        Comment

                        • #72
                          ucbhills
                          Member
                          • Sep 2020
                          • 143

                          OMG! How can someone not take up this offer?!?!

                          But my word on shotguns means nothing LOL. Still need to checkout the Richmond range!

                          Comment

                          • #73
                            NATEWA
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Jun 2012
                            • 5977

                            Comment

                            • #74
                              Newshooter
                              Senior Member
                              • Apr 2010
                              • 1171

                              That is a very generous offer. It's great to see shooters supporting other shooters.

                              Comment

                              • #75
                                ucbhills
                                Member
                                • Sep 2020
                                • 143

                                I'm not OP, but thinking about this again, I'm up for meeting up (I think you said you are near the Richmond range?). I've not shot my new shotgun yet and would be interested in purchasing some ammo legal at the local ranges.

                                OBTW, I stopped by Solar Tactical yesterday in Livermore and they had a KS7, whatever that more pricey one that has the 3 rotating tubes, and several other pistol grip shotguns.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1