Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

is the defense shotgun still relevant?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    ScottsBad
    Progressives Suck!
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • May 2009
    • 5610

    Originally posted by Cowboy T
    Hell, yes, it is. Remember that a defensive shotgun, in 12- or 20-gauge, can launch a bunch of 00-Buck-sized pellets at an assailant. That's generally going to put that assailant down right there. There's a reason why cops continue to carry shotguns in their patrol cars.

    I may have only 7+1 in my Mossberg 500...but each one of those is a stopped assailant. A hit from a 12-gauge 00 Buck round, and they're not getting back up to hurt me.

    Assuming a pump shotgun, there's also the ability to load more rounds, one at a time, rather quickly. I see some of the Cowboy Action Shooters doing this. Yes, it works, and yes, it's fast, if you practice at it as they do (and we all should!).

    Now, if you're concerned about multiple aggressors, then I would also suggest a magazine-fed semi-automatic rifle in .308 Win. An example would be a CETME, PTR-91, or LR-308. I know the LR-308 can be made California-compliant; I'm not sure about the CETME-pattern rifles. So, let's assume an LR-308. Have multiple magazines ready and loaded with some good, expanding hunting ammo. If it'll drop a 4-legged aggressor, it'll also stop a two-legged aggressor.
    .308 is a ridiculous caliber to recommend for home defense.

    If someone is going to use a semi-auto rifle, an AR-15 is the preferred choice.
    sigpicC'mon man, shouldn't we ban Democracks from Cal-Guns? Or at least send them to re-education camps.

    Comment

    • #17
      ScottsBad
      Progressives Suck!
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • May 2009
      • 5610

      Originally posted by 357manny
      In the case of multiple invaders in close confines (eg 2-3 coming through a doorway), 1 round of 12g 00-Buck out of a shotgun affects all of them. Pretty sweet.
      Wrong. At indoor distances, and depending on the barrel and quality of the round, you probably won't get more than an 8 inch circle. And that's if its crappy ammo.

      The better the quality of the buck shot round, the small the diameter of the pellets impact. That's because you don't want stray pellets killing innocents.
      sigpicC'mon man, shouldn't we ban Democracks from Cal-Guns? Or at least send them to re-education camps.

      Comment

      • #18
        smittty
        Calguns Addict
        • Feb 2008
        • 6265

        I don’t even own a defense type shotgun anymore, dropped that concept years ago!

        My first choice is a handgun and then if there’s time I’d choose an AR.

        With 10 rd magazines the AR is better, if you have 20 or 30 rd magazines it’s way better.

        Watch the video of the kid that defended himself from the rioters, he wouldn’t have been as proficient with a shotgun.

        He might actually be dead if he had a shotgun, especially a pump action. Having to work the action while on the ground being attacked I doubt that most experienced shooters would have survived the attack as well as he did with the AR.

        Semi auto rifle wins that contest everytime!

        Comment

        • #19
          FeuerFrei
          Calguns Addict
          • Aug 2008
          • 7455

          Originally posted by operavoice
          Mine does.

          Launches the mini slugs in a nice group too.
          Took 5 shots to zero the bull at 25 yards.
          I keep slugs in my shotguns and they are accurate enough up to 100yds (after I took the time to find a load my SG's like). Mine can do a paper plate group @100yds while taking a knee or prone.

          *My closest neighbor is 6 miles away so I don't worry about stray rounds as much.

          Comment

          • #20
            FeuerFrei
            Calguns Addict
            • Aug 2008
            • 7455

            Originally posted by ScottsBad
            .308 is a ridiculous caliber to recommend for home defense.

            If someone is going to use a semi-auto rifle, an AR-15 is the preferred choice.
            I agree that the 308 is one of the least preferred for HD in any bullet load type.

            The semi auto option is not a 556/223 rifle/carbine either IMO.

            Try a PC carbine in 9mm with your current choice of HD pistol ammo. That's a solid choice for HD. Minimal recoil/muzzle flash/concussion is a big bonus.

            The carbines are short enough, accurate enough and choosing one with compatible mags for the HD pistol is a win win. The longer barrels seem to add velocity and helps with expansion of the HP ammo.

            All things considered you can still have a shot pass through, but mitigating the chance of it has value.

            Comment

            • #21
              The War Wagon
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Apr 2011
              • 10294

              Originally posted by FeuerFrei
              I agree that the 308 is one of the least preferred for HD in any bullet load type.

              I've lived on the lone prar-rie before. .308 is a FINE farm/ranch rifle, and if you have open field of 400 yards or more to your property, I would probably go with a .308 for homeSTEAD defense.
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #22
                FeuerFrei
                Calguns Addict
                • Aug 2008
                • 7455

                Originally posted by The War Wagon
                I've lived on the lone prar-rie before. .308 is a FINE farm/ranch rifle, and if you have open field of 400 yards or more to your property, I would probably go with a .308 for homeSTEAD defense.
                My comments were directed at the urban dwellers at large. Houses/apartments packed together so tight you can hear a neighbor fart.

                Make no mistake. I have a lot to choose from for HD.

                I can order from; Dollar menu. Regular menu and the not so secret In-n-Out menu.
                Animal style fires. Very robust selection and options are open if I need to repel boarders.

                All ATF, FBI, KFC, BMW, BFD, DOJ, BFG, WTF, STFU rules apply.

                Comment

                • #23
                  Dirtlaw
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Apr 2018
                  • 3480

                  Originally posted by BillSmith
                  operavoice-

                  Does the Kel-Tec cycle mini shells flawlessly?

                  The new Mossberg does ... the Kel-Tec hit or miss from what I've read (and when you need it that's not acceptable). Haven't had the time to test myself.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    357manny
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2016
                    • 1676

                    Originally posted by kingransom
                    Ar15- 30 rounds = 30 pulls of the trigger.

                    Shotgun- (9) 00 buckshot = 1 pull of the trigger

                    For "home defense" the ar15 is inferior to the shotgun which causes massive devastation
                    This is what I was thinking.
                    this is a signature

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      The War Wagon
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Apr 2011
                      • 10294

                      Originally posted by kingransom
                      Ar15- 30 rounds = 30 pulls of the trigger.

                      Shotgun- (9) 00 buckshot = 1 pull of the trigger

                      For "home defense" the ar15 is inferior to the shotgun which causes massive devastation

                      The AR, has no recoil - for does a slide need to be racked successfully by the off hand to properly cycle.

                      I UNDERSTAND, that in CA, where you're limited to 10rds in rifles & handguns, the shotgun IS a more attractive option, and wouldn't blame anyone for wanting to place the shotgun higher in their defense priorities. If it was useless, I wouldn't own one.

                      But in a free state, it's easier to engage more targets, with more precision, much faster, with an AR.
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Citadelgrad87
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Mar 2007
                        • 16976

                        Originally posted by naz
                        Why is this a rifle OR shotgun question?

                        You should think about it like a multigun match with rifle, shotgun AND pistol for ever member of your household who can have firearms

                        Edit: OP if you are that worried about home invasion, I hope you have multiple layers of security (bars, reinforced door, alarm etc etc)
                        Yeah, why limit options?

                        I have a shotgun, a carbine, and several pistols all within easy reach.
                        Originally posted by tony270
                        It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
                        Originally posted by repubconserv
                        Print it out and frame it for all I care
                        Originally posted by el chivo
                        I don't need to think at all..
                        Originally posted by pjsig
                        You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
                        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Citadelgrad87
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Mar 2007
                          • 16976

                          Originally posted by kingransom
                          Ar15- 30 rounds = 30 pulls of the trigger.

                          Shotgun- (9) 00 buckshot = 1 pull of the trigger

                          For "home defense" the ar15 is inferior to the shotgun which causes massive devastation
                          Its a bit more forgiving in the precision department, but on the off chance that there is more than one intruder, well, have you ever tried to reload a shotgun fast?
                          Originally posted by tony270
                          It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
                          Originally posted by repubconserv
                          Print it out and frame it for all I care
                          Originally posted by el chivo
                          I don't need to think at all..
                          Originally posted by pjsig
                          You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
                          XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Kurgan
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2012
                            • 4815

                            Shotguns are fine..... until they are empty. Would not use one without something else for backup.

                            Shotguns and handguns are really only for making a fighting retreat to a rifle.
                            My mother always told me to be careful what you ask for.

                            Just one more piece of parental advice I stupidly ignored.

                            <shrug>

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              HKAllTheThings
                              Senior Member
                              • Jun 2020
                              • 1313

                              I wonder how many actual documented self defense shootings have involved a shotgun. I'll bet it's an extremely small number.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                BTFlyer
                                Member
                                • Jun 2017
                                • 233

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1