Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Sabot Slugs

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • GeorgeMG
    Member
    • Mar 2019
    • 298

    Sabot Slugs

    So I was over at my LGS trying to find ways to spend money. Since ammo has been tight last couple of months, if they have any oddball stuff in, I'll pick it up just because. Typically 20 gauge shotgun stuff isn't as easy to come by as 12 gauge stuff, so I noticed they had some 20 gauge slugs in stock, about 4 boxes. So I bought them without even really checking them out, they're just slugs, I thought. Well, turns out I bought sabot slugs, and the box says you're only supposed to use them in rifled barrels. Both my 870 and coach gun are just standard smooth bore. What the hell can I do with these things? Any ideas?
  • #2
    Vot
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2018
    • 80

    Shoot them. I put 3inch sabot slugs through my 12g 870 express 18.5 inch barrel. Using a cylinder choke. The watermelons didn’t notice a difference.

    Comment

    • #3
      Boarhuntor
      Banned
      • Feb 2019
      • 760

      Try to sell them, they would not perform well in smooth bbl.

      Comment

      • #4
        GeorgeMG
        Member
        • Mar 2019
        • 298

        Originally posted by Boarhuntor
        Try to sell them, they would not perform well in smooth bbl.
        I wouldn't be doing anything real serious with them, probably fill up a 5 gallon bucket of water and shoot the hell out of it. Would they damage my shotgun if I just go blow through them blowing up some targets at a reasonable distance?

        Comment

        • #5
          The War Wagon
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Apr 2011
          • 10294

          Keep 'em - unless you get a GREAT offer.
          sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            XVIga_Rob
            Senior Member
            • May 2012
            • 2354

            You could always buy Your 870 a rifled barrel, for the slugs you bought.

            Comment

            • #7
              GeorgeMG
              Member
              • Mar 2019
              • 298

              Yah, I thought about that.

              Comment

              • #8
                Boarhuntor
                Banned
                • Feb 2019
                • 760

                Originally posted by GeorgeMG
                I wouldn't be doing anything real serious with them, probably fill up a 5 gallon bucket of water and shoot the hell out of it. Would they damage my shotgun if I just go blow through them blowing up some targets at a reasonable distance?
                Nope, no damage to the gun and might be great fun to shoot jars up to 25-30 yards. But useless for something serious.
                Last edited by Boarhuntor; 06-08-2020, 10:08 PM.

                Comment

                • #9
                  GeorgeMG
                  Member
                  • Mar 2019
                  • 298

                  That answers my question. thanks man! I will commence having some fun.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    XVIga_Rob
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2012
                    • 2354

                    You know you want that barrel

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Boarhuntor
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2019
                      • 760

                      Originally posted by XVIga_Rob
                      You know you want that barrel
                      Yes, a rifled bbl makes a very nice rig out of 870 or mos500. But it is another rabbit hole, 120 for the bbl, 250 for the good slug scope but very limited use.
                      So, pumpkins are the best he can do for now IMO

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        GeorgeMG
                        Member
                        • Mar 2019
                        • 298

                        Originally posted by XVIga_Rob
                        You know you want that barrel
                        I kinda do, now. But, damn, they're expensive.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          XVIga_Rob
                          Senior Member
                          • May 2012
                          • 2354

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            FeuerFrei
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Aug 2008
                            • 7455

                            Look for the names "Brenneke" or "Foster" on the box next time. Those are slug types.

                            Those type of slugs will work in your smooth bore shotguns. Choke size doesn't matter.

                            Halloween/pumpkin season is around the corner!!

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              jyo
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Sep 2008
                              • 5320

                              Remington also makes a 20" rifle sight barrel with screw-in chokes, one of which is rifled---I know because I have one on a older 870, but have not tried the rifled chokes yet---I do have some Remington "brass" HP slugs that are recommended to use a rifled barrel, but I've never shot any of those either...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1