Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

first day Duck hunting..... I'm addicted!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • etwinam
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2016
    • 3223

    first day Duck hunting..... I'm addicted!

    Hit my first day duck hunting and man what a blast!

    I love me some Clays but there is something awesome about tracking and actual living duck and then shouldering and executing a great shot!

    I certainly had a learning curve on all the different calls and I got eaten alive at sunrise by all the mosquitoes and gnats.... but I'm already planning my next trip!

    I bagged a Mallard Drake, a Widgeon Hen and 4 Coots... I guess Coots aren't good eating so I won't be shooting those next trip.

    Anyone wanna plan a trip in Socal let me know! I want to catch my limit next time and maybe get some Teal and Geese!



    Last edited by etwinam; 10-28-2019, 12:00 PM. Reason: Edited for Widgeon not Mallard hen
    God, Guns & Integrity. Prioritize your Priorities.
  • #2
    Full Clip
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Dec 2006
    • 10266

    Yeah, spare the coots next time.
    But congrats!
    You'll have better shooting on windy, rainy days.
    With ducks, the more miserable you are, the better the hunting.

    Comment

    • #3
      edgerly779
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      CGN Contributor
      • Aug 2009
      • 19871

      Who shot the web-footed pheasants? (COOTS) Coots are ok cook them with garlic and oil on a cedar shingle and toss the coot and eat the shingle.

      Comment

      • #4
        etwinam
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2016
        • 3223

        Originally posted by edgerly779
        Who shot the web-footed pheasants? (COOTS) Coots are ok cook them with garlic and oil on a cedar shingle and toss the coot and eat the shingle.
        Ha, ya first day and all we shot anything that was legal... only after a little research did I learn they're basically Carp. 2 of us in the blind, we each bagged two Coots.
        God, Guns & Integrity. Prioritize your Priorities.

        Comment

        • #5
          etwinam
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2016
          • 3223

          Originally posted by Full Clip
          Yeah, spare the coots next time.
          But congrats!
          You'll have better shooting on windy, rainy days.
          With ducks, the more miserable you are, the better the hunting.
          Good lookin out, it was supposed to me cloudy and overcast but it ended up being crystal clear, next time the weather is horrible on a weekend I know where I'll be
          God, Guns & Integrity. Prioritize your Priorities.

          Comment

          • #6
            edgerly779
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            CGN Contributor
            • Aug 2009
            • 19871

            I shot coots when I started 54 years ago I had a problem at first identifying ducks. Learned to shoot the ones with long necks. Welcome to the sport it will only get more expensive and fun from here on out.

            Comment

            • #7
              357manny
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2016
              • 1676

              Wow cool, congrats! Hopefully gonna do the same (going first day duck hunting ) this season!
              this is a signature

              Comment

              • #8
                etwinam
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2016
                • 3223

                Originally posted by 357manny
                Wow cool, congrats! Hopefully gonna do the same (going first day duck hunting ) this season!
                I can't say enough good things about the experience.

                The things I wish I had focused more on are practicing Duck calls, mainly feeding chuckle, hail mary and greeting... but there are others that may be more beneficial.

                I also wish I brought bug spray; 100% DEET would have been best, we got eaten alive. as soon as the sun rose I was sitting in a million gnats and mosquitos.

                hope that helps and have fun!
                Last edited by etwinam; 10-27-2019, 6:12 PM.
                God, Guns & Integrity. Prioritize your Priorities.

                Comment

                • #9
                  mike.h
                  Senior Member
                  • Sep 2011
                  • 1612

                  Breast out the coots, if they not too muddy, you may find you like them.
                  USAF 1966-70
                  SEA '69-70
                  NRA Life Member

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    edgerly779
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Aug 2009
                    • 19871

                    I have done that and most were good then you get a MUDDY/GAMEY ONE AND THE REST GO TO MOTHER IN LAW AND HOPE SHE DOES NOT INVITE YOU TO DINNER.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      NATEWA
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Jun 2012
                      • 5977

                      Congrats! I remember shooting at coots on one of my first trips out. Luckily I didn’t hit one. Friend was calling teal and a few coots went by so I started shooting.

                      That’s not a hen mallard Think it’s a widgeon?

                      I do more calling with my whistle - widgeon, teal, and pintail. Just get the basic quack down for the mallards.

                      Primos Original Wench Call https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013R4AEG..._LGJTDb55A8T48

                      Haydel's Game Calls Magnum Mallard/Pintail Whistle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AVXUC..._xHJTDbT4750YR

                      Glad you had a good time.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        NATEWA
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Jun 2012
                        • 5977

                        Discover the World of Ducks and Other Waterfowl: Unveiling over 30 different types of ducks, their behaviors, and preferred habitats. Your comprehensive guide to waterfowl identification and insights.


                        Good info. Limit of only 1 pintail so make sure you know what they look like. Males are easy to ID.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          H8Mud
                          Member
                          • Nov 2007
                          • 462

                          Good job on your 1st waterfowl hunt! That's an American wigeon hen. Good looking mallard too. I would pass on the coots, not the worst eating but pretty skanky compared to that tasty mallard.
                          "Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six"

                          Originally posted by Manofmayhem
                          Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Rhorton1
                            Junior Member
                            • Sep 2017
                            • 70

                            Way to go! Always good to bring some ducks home!

                            I haven’t duck hunted since I moved here from the Pacific Northwest three years ago... the weather in your pictures looks much nicer than what I’m used to. If I ever get out in a duck blind here I’ll need to remember sunscreen!

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              etwinam
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2016
                              • 3223

                              Originally posted by NATEWA
                              https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013R4AEG..._LGJTDb55A8T48

                              Haydel's Game Calls Magnum Mallard/Pintail Whistle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AVXUC..._xHJTDbT4750YR

                              Glad you had a good time.
                              Thanks.. I got a duck commander Jase pro double reed and it seems to be a good all around call for the basics. Perhaps I can get good enough to step up to a single reed but for now I think the whistle is next. I've just got to spend some time perfecting and mimicking the calls.
                              God, Guns & Integrity. Prioritize your Priorities.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1