My two kids (14 and 17 years old) are finally getting their hunting license. I already have a Winchester 1300 pump in 12 gauge and a Tristar Rapter semi-auto in 20 gauge with a youth stock. I also have an adult stock for it. The Tristar will be for the 14 year old and I will also sometimes use it with the adult stock. When the older kid moves out I want to gift him a firearm for self-defense and I think it may be a 12 gauge pump. I'm wondering what third shotgun I should buy until then, so that all three of us can hunt. I'm thinking a Mossberg 500 so that I can still have a self-defense shotgun after the kid moves out. And I can use the Tristar when I feel like hunting with a semi-auto. But then again, a semi-auto 12 gauge would be nice too. Eventually I will have one of each, but I'm wondering which to buy for first.
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Looking for a third shotgun
Collapse
X
-
Even a better deal here:
Originally posted by FjoldI've been married so long that I don't even look both ways when I cross the street.Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program.
-Milton Friedman
sigpicComment
-
Spend a little more and get a walnut-and-blued-steel classic: A S&W Model 3000 that is beautifully blued, wearing a 30" full choke vent rib barrel, and I'll throw in the very rare, very nicely blued 18" (not 18.5") POL. CYL. bead sight barrel.
If you're at all into Smith & Wesson firearms, this would be a nice addition to the collection. Made by Howa in the 1980s for S&W, the blueprints were later sold to Mossberg who began manufacturing the shotgun as the Mossberg 500, changing the location of the safety. That's the story, anyway!
I have several very nice vintage Wingmasters, and I can't keep all of my shotguns so I'm selling the S&W..
"Get a proper holster, and go hot. The End." - SplitHoof
NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWickedComment
-
-
For semi-auto shotguns, I recommend Benelli. Prior to switching to O/U, both wife and I shot trap with our Benelli semi-autos and we put through a lot of rounds through both guns, somewhere in the region of 10k rounds each per year. And we used those for many years before switching to O/U just last year. We worn out 2 recoil springs each on those semi-autos, nothing broke.
Simply put, they are extremely tough and handled high volume shooting very well. If you're using something like a Benelli M2 for hunting, it will last you a lifetime with no issues.Comment
-
Second on Benellis OP. Also they are 10% off at riflegear through tomorrow. A good deal as Benellis don't go on sale very often.For semi-auto shotguns, I recommend Benelli. Prior to switching to O/U, both wife and I shot trap with our Benelli semi-autos and we put through a lot of rounds through both guns, somewhere in the region of 10k rounds each per year. And we used those for many years before switching to O/U just last year. We worn out 2 recoil springs each on those semi-autos, nothing broke.
Simply put, they are extremely tough and handled high volume shooting very well. If you're using something like a Benelli M2 for hunting, it will last you a lifetime with no issues.
Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TapatalkComment
-
Maybe another good Benelli deal.
Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,452
Posts: 25,147,907
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,927
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 20971 users online. 139 members and 20832 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment