Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Mossberg 590A1 - 9 Shot #51660

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • usr1987
    Member
    • Dec 2018
    • 421

    Mossberg 590A1 - 9 Shot #51660

    I am considering this shotgun, is it worth getting? I am considering it for the higher capacity, and not sure semi-autos are as reliable. I am not familiar with them, but I did shot a 500 and 870.

    Thanks!
  • #2
    oak18
    Member
    • Nov 2016
    • 459

    That’s probably the best bang for your buck combat style shotgun you can buy. They have a great track record and are used by the military. Mossberg is a good company with good customer service so there’s no reason not to buy it.

    Comment

    • #3
      strakill
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2011
      • 1484

      Originally posted by usr1987
      I am considering this shotgun, is it worth getting? I am considering it for the higher capacity, and not sure semi-autos are as reliable. I am not familiar with them, but I did shot a 500 and 870.

      Thanks!

      Short answer is yes, long answer is yeeeeees.
      Originally posted by superhondaz50
      I should note, I have a hookup..., just trying to determine the cost to put it in.
      Originally posted by beerman
      ...He comes out while I'm at work to **** the wife..I shall name him Sancho.

      Comment

      • #4
        ChuckDizzle
        Banned
        • Dec 2013
        • 4398

        It's good to go. There are reliable semi auto combat shotguns, but they are over $1k.

        For a sub $1k defensive scatter gun there's nothing better.

        Comment

        • #5
          Chewy65
          Calguns Addict
          • Dec 2013
          • 5090

          Whether it is "worth it" depends on the purpose. If it is for defense, some prefer a pump over a semi auto for reliability. The problem there is it is too easy to short shuck a pump under emergency pressure and modern semis are quite dependable, unless you are looking at the low end of the market.

          For a defensive pump I prefer a 870, but that is just a matter of preference and the Mossberg is a good gun.

          Comment

          • #6
            Daze
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2009
            • 644

            Yes GTG

            Great pump action shot gun. Very reliable and little to go wrong with it.

            Comment

            • #7
              dannyboy920
              Junior Member
              • Feb 2017
              • 68

              how about a Kel Tec?

              Originally posted by ChuckDizzle
              It's good to go. There are reliable semi auto combat shotguns, but they are over $1k.

              For a sub $1k defensive scatter gun there's nothing better.

              Please LMK if a Kel Tec 14+1 rounds of 12ga is worth $889 for HD? 18.5" barrel

              Comment

              • #8
                dannyboy920
                Junior Member
                • Feb 2017
                • 68

                Looking for my 1st ever shotgun

                this is my first attempt ever to look for shotgun as I now live in a city.

                own guns for years but never a shotgun. appreciate reading this page about shotguns.

                Comment

                • #9
                  omega
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2005
                  • 3114

                  Ive handled one and it's kind of front heavy because of the 20" heavy barrel

                  they made it extra heavy duty for Navy shipboard use, so the barrel doesnt get damaged by the heavy doors in navy ships.

                  it's very well made

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    usr1987
                    Member
                    • Dec 2018
                    • 421

                    Thanks for the input, I will put in in the cage mid January:-)

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      hermosabeach
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Feb 2009
                      • 19807

                      What is the purpose of use?


                      The 590A1 is a robust firearm.

                      What is the purpose of use?
                      Rule 1- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

                      Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

                      Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

                      Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
                      (thanks to Jeff Cooper)

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        FeuerFrei
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Aug 2008
                        • 7455

                        I've had mine for years (late 80's) and have had the safety sheet the bed, so I replaced it. Mag spring was the next to go and swapped it for a wolf spring.

                        Other than that it's been reliable as a ball peen hammer. Bird/target, 00 buck and slugs all used and ran great. Never used the mini loads in it though.

                        I have a 2 point sling and a 6 shot side saddle type on it. Brass bead got replaced with a big dot too.

                        If I run out of ammo I can always fix a bayonet to put down shambling zombies.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          ChuckDizzle
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2013
                          • 4398

                          Originally posted by dannyboy920
                          Please LMK if a Kel Tec 14+1 rounds of 12ga is worth $889 for HD? 18.5" barrel
                          I would personally never trust my life to anything made by Kel-tec.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Bobby Ricigliano
                            Mit Gott und Mauser
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Feb 2011
                            • 17439

                            I have been an 870 guy for a long time, but could not help notice the 590A1 at my LGS in all of its dull black ghost ringed glory. No pretense whatsoever as a sporting gun.

                            I bought one and took it out for an all day desert shoot, probably 100 - 120 rounds of bird, buck, and slugs with no issues. I do have a slight nitpick in that it is more complicated to field strip, clean, and reassemble, but otherwise it is great.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              FeuerFrei
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Aug 2008
                              • 7455

                              Originally posted by Bobby Ricigliano
                              I have been an 870 guy for a long time, but could not help notice the 590A1 at my LGS in all of its dull black ghost ringed glory. No pretense whatsoever as a sporting gun.

                              I bought one and took it out for an all day desert shoot, probably 100 - 120 rounds of bird, buck, and slugs with no issues. I do have a slight nitpick in that it is more complicated to field strip, clean, and reassemble, but otherwise it is great.
                              Swapping the safety is a gigantic PITA. Yes the internals are more complex than they need to be for a detailed clean/inspection.

                              I use kerosene and an old tooth brush for the receiver to scrub out the crap with only the barrel removed. These things really don't need much futzing unless something breaks.
                              These things are grinders. They just run. I like that.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1