Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

12 year old beginner. .410, 28 or 20 guage?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TrailerparkTrash
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 4249

    12 year old beginner. .410, 28 or 20 guage?

    What of the 3 gauges would you start your young 12 year old daughter on to shoot quail/rabbits with?

    I'm leaning toward the 28, but the 20 would be better as far as putting shot down range. However, the 20 weighs more than the 28.

    Here's my choices:

    .410 double
    Remington 870 .28ga
    Remington 870 .20ga
    sigpic

    It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

    -ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
  • #2
    guimus
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2006
    • 862

    If you're going to reload your own ammo, 28, otherwise I'd say go for the 20 and provide lots of training, start with light loads, etc. The .410 is fine, but would only really be useful for a few years (by the time she's 16/17 she should have no problem with full-power 20 ga loads if you've trained her right). She can also get a new barrel and use a 20 as a home defense weapon when she moves to the big city for college!

    Comment

    • #3
      1SGMAT
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2005
      • 673

      .410 is a gun for an expert. I would go with a Rem 870 youth model. It would keep the weight down and deliver a good payload of shot down range even with light target loads. The youth model can be changed into a full size when she is older, and then back to a youth model for the next generation.

      Comment

      • #4
        ohsmily
        Calguns Addict
        • Apr 2005
        • 8995

        20 gauge 870
        Expert firearms attorney: https://www.rwslaw.com/team/adam-j-richards/

        Check out https://www.firearmsunknown.com/. Support a good calgunner local to San Diego.

        Comment

        • #5
          50ae
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 572

          Ditto, their are plenty of reduced loads available for her to learn on. Just make sure to get her a gun with a shortened stock so it fits her properly.

          Originally posted by ohsmily
          20 gauge 870
          Proud to be a SoCal expatriate currently living in DFW, TX.

          Comment

          • #6
            -hanko
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            CGN Contributor
            • Jul 2002
            • 14174

            I can say that I don't do too bad a job shooting skeet. I can also say I've tried some serious .410 doubles and I can't hit crap most of the time. Not too many bullets going downrange with a .410

            I'd agree a 28 if you reload or have money; otherwise, a 20. A double is easy to learn with and lighter; recoil is just like a pump if weight is considered. A pumping the action after the first shot on doubles can be frustrating to a beginner. My choice would be more toward a 20 gage auto gun, maybe an 1100.

            Whatever gun you select, try it first with her for a round or 2 before you buy.

            -hanko
            True wealth is time. Time to enjoy life.

            Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

            Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

            A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

            Comment

            • #7
              Vigilante
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2006
              • 647

              I'd say go with the 870 in 20 gauge. I haven't ever had any experience shooting a 28 gauge, nor do I really know much about them in the first place. So I can't say no to a 28. However I would agree with 1SGMAT that a .410 is no good for your girl because it is more of an "expert/skilled shooters" gun.

              Comment

              • #8
                sargenv
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2005
                • 4620

                My first gun when I was 13 was an 870 Wingmaster in 20 gauge. In fact, I still have it and occasionally take it out to break some clays and/or do some hunting with it. Like someone else said, the .410 is an expert's gun, the 20 gives good power for it's size, is cheaper than 410 and has a larger selection of loads available for it. Not quite as good as a 12, but better than the 28 or 410. If you get the 3" model, it will do good if she wants to graduate some day to larger birds such as Ducks and Pheasant.

                Vince

                Comment

                • #9
                  Mudvayne540ld
                  Member
                  • Jun 2006
                  • 339

                  I would also say a 20. It is tons cheaper, and better power
                  I would get a 12 over anything tho... use light loads to start. (Proably isnt the best for a 12 year old...i dunno tho)

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    kilword
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • 970

                    get a 12 make him a man....

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Vigilante
                      Senior Member
                      • Aug 2006
                      • 647

                      Originally posted by kilword
                      get a 12 make him a man....
                      Probably not a good idea, especially since we're talking about his daughter.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        mailman
                        Member
                        • Mar 2006
                        • 428

                        I'd go 20 guage all the way for someone that age mail or female.



                        .
                        "Imagination is more important than knowledge."-Albert Einstein

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          kilword
                          Senior Member
                          • Apr 2006
                          • 970

                          Originally posted by Vigilante
                          Probably not a good idea, especially since we're talking about his daughter.
                          well then it will make her a woman! :P

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            snafu510
                            Member
                            • Jun 2006
                            • 337

                            I started out with a H&R 20 guage single shot. I was about 100 lbs. We reloaded so light loads were easy. Even with normal loads I never had a probelm with recoil.

                            For small game like quail a 20 guage is plenty. Something like a youth model 870 sounds good. She won't outgrow it too fast and it should hold it's value pretty well.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              ivanimal
                              Janitors assistant
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Sep 2002
                              • 14365

                              20 gauge all the way. Just remember to keep the 20 ga ammo separate from the 12 ga. I would go so far as to not shoot the 2 gauges at the same time in the field. The 20 will fit in the barrel of a 12 ga and still allow a 12 ga round to chamber behind it. Bad situation, really bad. That is why all 20 ga iare bright yellow, yellow means bad for 12 ga.

                              I felt it only necessary to tell you. If you knew that already sorry for the lecture. You can give me a kick in the but when you see me.
                              "I would kill for a Nobel peace prize." Steven Wright"
                              Board Member CGSSA Donate now!
                              NRA lifetime member

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1