Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

I think I'm hooked on shooting Clay pigeons ...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Dellinger
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2011
    • 745

    I think I'm hooked on shooting Clay pigeons ...

    I have my brother-in-law in town and we usually do a bunch of shooting when around. I recently purchased a Franchi Affinity 12 about 6 months ago and only shot it a handful of times. The two of us haven't shot together since I got it.

    It became the star of the show this week. We just got back from our 3rd time out. Turned into a friendly competition. I have never been very good with shotguns till this one. We're using a hand thrower and only throwing straight but man I think I figured this out. I almost hit every clay thrown and I can't wait to go again.

    I want to go somewhere to get some pointers and to try some of the different games out there.

    I finally get what everyone is about over here...
    " A Free People Ought Not Only Be Armed And Disciplined But Should Have Sufficient Arms And Ammunition To Maintain A Status Of Independence From Any Who Might Attempt To Abuse Them, Which Also Includes Their Own Government."
    ~George Washington~
  • #2
    NATEWA
    Calguns Addict
    • Jun 2012
    • 5977

    You need to go to Sac Valley.

    Comment

    • #3
      johnthomas
      Calguns Addict
      • Mar 2009
      • 7001

      You ought to dress them out and put them on the BBQ, crunchy, but with hot sauce they will be fine, lol.

      When I go up to the mountains we shoot clay, I like it.
      I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

      Comment

      • #4
        Dellinger
        Senior Member
        • Aug 2011
        • 745

        I may hit up Sac Valle. The Cordova shooting center is fairly close to me, may check them out. I'm in Shingle Springs though. I need to see if my neighbor is willing to take me to his club in El Dorado, I think they do shotguns.

        I still need to change the spacer on the stock to get a perfect cheek weld. Definitely more fun than I expected. I've never wanted to put the pistols down to shoot something else, lol. My brother-in-law is from San Diego. I think he is picking up a new barrel for his 500. We're a bit competitive, lol...
        " A Free People Ought Not Only Be Armed And Disciplined But Should Have Sufficient Arms And Ammunition To Maintain A Status Of Independence From Any Who Might Attempt To Abuse Them, Which Also Includes Their Own Government."
        ~George Washington~

        Comment

        • #5
          Sandro
          Banned
          • Dec 2015
          • 532

          Originally posted by Dellinger
          I think I'm hooked on shooting Clay pigeons ..
          How do they taste? please report.

          You know, you can go and shoot real pigeons, quail, rabbits instead of child's games HeHeHe

          Comment

          • #6
            XVIga_Rob
            Senior Member
            • May 2012
            • 2354

            If your ok with driving to Auburn, go to the Auburn Trap range. They do free lessons, just call ahead to schedule. Trap fields are open Thursday afternoon/evenings & Saturday/Sunday til 3pm. They also have 5-stand open on Thursday afternoon's & Saturday's.
            Or, drive down to Comanche Hills in Ione. They do lessons and have Trap, 5-stand, & Sporting Clays.

            Comment

            • #7
              Dellinger
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2011
              • 745

              The reason I got the gun was for hunting. I grew up on a farm and my father raised ringneck pheasants. Most of my childhood all I ate was their meat and eggs. The clays are fun. If I can't hit them well enough it doesn't make sense to go after the real birds. I'm planning on filling the freezer next year if all goes as planned...
              " A Free People Ought Not Only Be Armed And Disciplined But Should Have Sufficient Arms And Ammunition To Maintain A Status Of Independence From Any Who Might Attempt To Abuse Them, Which Also Includes Their Own Government."
              ~George Washington~

              Comment

              • #8
                NATEWA
                Calguns Addict
                • Jun 2012
                • 5977

                I've never been to Camanche but have heard good things. I typically go to sac valley. 5 stand is what I prefer because I hunt birds.

                Comment

                • #9
                  RNE228
                  Senior Member
                  • Oct 2013
                  • 2458

                  Shingle Springs; probably right around the corner from you.

                  Takes me almost same time Sac Valley or Cordova. I like Sac Valley best; am member there. Like shooting clays, rifle and pistol there.

                  Comanche Hills is a lot of fun; they have sporting clays there. Only been a couple times, but it was a ton of fun. They trap skeet etc too. Takes me a little less than an hour from Ponderosa and Motherlode...

                  El Dorado Rod and Gun is a nice club, but they have odd hours. Check their website calendar before you go out; they have a "different" schedule.

                  Originally posted by Dellinger
                  I may hit up Sac Valle. The Cordova shooting center is fairly close to me, may check them out. I'm in Shingle Springs though. I need to see if my neighbor is willing to take me to his club in El Dorado, I think they do shotguns.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    JagerDog
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • May 2011
                    • 15678

                    Flying reactive targets are fun ain't they?
                    Palestine is a fake country

                    No Mas Hamas



                    #Blackolivesmatter

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      BigPimping
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Feb 2010
                      • 21487

                      Shooting Trap & Sporting Clays is so much fun. I do it as often as I can.
                      sigpic

                      PIMP stands for Positive Intellectual Motivated Person

                      When pimping begins, friendship ends.

                      Don't let your history be a mystery

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        etwinam
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2016
                        • 3223

                        I'm getting in to it now myself too, I need to invest in a couple new shotguns... All in time
                        Last edited by etwinam; 07-22-2017, 10:31 PM.
                        God, Guns & Integrity. Prioritize your Priorities.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Revoman
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2007
                          • 2395

                          Good on ya for discovering just how much fun you can have standing up.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            WMG
                            Senior Member
                            • Jul 2016
                            • 1159

                            Better hope not too hooked , can get expensive
                            If you start thinking like a Free Man
                            You'll begin to feel like a Free Man
                            And pretty soon you'll begin acting like a Free Man

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              ceh383
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2013
                              • 2536

                              Originally posted by etwinam
                              I need to invest in a couple news shotguns...
                              What's a "news" shotgun

                              Originally posted by WMG
                              Better hope not too hooked , can get expensive
                              It can get very expensive
                              "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1