Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Shotgun for hunting. Suggestions?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mega4ce
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2013
    • 654

    Shotgun for hunting. Suggestions?

    Looking for a hunting gun. Upland and waterfowl. First hunting shotgun. I was looking at the CZ Drake O/U. Is it better to go semi-auto where I can have 2+1?
    He venido por sus tacos!
  • #2
    NATEWA
    Calguns Addict
    • Jun 2012
    • 5977

    Get the camo one and upgrade to the micro core recoil pad.

    Comment

    • #3
      XVIga_Rob
      Senior Member
      • May 2012
      • 2354

      I'll 2nd the A300. The micro core pad is a good upgrade, but not mission critical. Camo, black, wood...the game won't care. But the camo & black synthetic models have more adjustability in the stock.
      Last edited by XVIga_Rob; 07-05-2017, 10:50 PM.

      Comment

      • #4
        faris1984
        Senior Member
        • May 2013
        • 2387

        I am with A300 or even better A400 .
        I would also recommend Winchester Sx3, I have one and cant say but good things about it.

        Comment

        • #5
          Thefeeder
          Calguns Addict
          • Jun 2007
          • 5007

          ><

          The one you can hit flying targets with......the rest does not matter

          Its the o'l saying " that boy got everything but meat in the freezer"
          Last edited by Thefeeder; 07-05-2017, 11:12 PM.

          Comment

          • #6
            NATEWA
            Calguns Addict
            • Jun 2012
            • 5977

            Originally posted by XVIga_Rob
            I'll 2nd the A300. The micro core pad is a good upgrade, but not mission critical. Camo, black, wood...the game won't care. But the camo & black synthetic models have more adjustability in the stock.
            The micro core come in different thicknesses. If you need it, get the plastic spacer and then figure out how much more space you need for the correct lop (length of pull). Remember, you'll have thick clothing on while hunting ducks.






            I think it's critical because you want the gun to fit you. The stock set up is too short for me.

            Comment

            • #7
              NATEWA
              Calguns Addict
              • Jun 2012
              • 5977



              Read the article but don't buy anything from CTD.

              Comment

              • #8
                pennstater
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2010
                • 4671

                What's your price range? That will make a difference as to what can be suggested.

                Comment

                • #9
                  ElvenSoul
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Apr 2008
                  • 17431

                  Go to Pawn Shop

                  Find old Winchester, Browning, or Remington
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    pzbike
                    Senior Member
                    • Jul 2012
                    • 640

                    I hunt Upland with a Beretta A300, Franchi Affinity, Browning Citori Field and Savage 311A. Waterfowl with a Beretta A391. All purchased PPT from Calgunner's. Obviously, I have self control and money management issues.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      edgerly779
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Aug 2009
                      • 19871

                      I use o/u for all my bird hunting. Win 101 for waterfowl and browning for upland.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        CaptnCaveman
                        Member
                        • Feb 2014
                        • 232

                        In my experience, if you ever find yourself duck hunting from a sunken concrete tube blind, reloading can be a pain with a O/U.

                        I'm looking forward to my first season with a semi after using a O/U for my first few years of hunting.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          NATEWA
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Jun 2012
                          • 5977

                          Originally posted by CaptnCaveman
                          In my experience, if you ever find yourself duck hunting from a sunken concrete tube blind, reloading can be a pain with a O/U.

                          I'm looking forward to my first season with a semi after using a O/U for my first few years of hunting.
                          My experience too. That and I don't like taking a nice o/u out while duck hunting, especially if it's raining. There is more recoil when compared to a semi auto and I've shot a lot of ducks and geese with that third shot. You'll enjoy the switch to a semi auto!

                          I've only shot a Beretta o/u, benellis and Beretta's. The benellis are good guns but they recoil more than the Beretta's. I use a friend's 20 guage montefeltro and absolutely love that gun for doves and upland game.

                          Another hidden gem is the Beretta a350. I started a thread about it a while back.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            NATEWA
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Jun 2012
                            • 5977



                            If you can find a FFL that will charge a transfer fee of $50 or less, this is worth the extra $, IMO.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              JS41989
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2015
                              • 1157

                              Citori 725 or A300

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1