Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Advice Re: Shotgun for Girlfriend

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • kyoung05
    Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 123

    Advice Re: Shotgun for Girlfriend

    Ok, so recently the girlfriend and I started shooting trap. We both like it a lot, and plan to continue going in the future. Up until now, she has been shooting either my 12ga 870 Wingmaster with 30" VR barrel, or my 20ga H&R Handi-Rifle. The 870 seems too long for her, the H&R is way too short (for some odd reason, we both have to raise the stock up so that just the bottom corner is touching the top of our shoulder to get it to line up right).

    I had her try to hold a Mossberg 500 in 20ga, thinking the LOP would be shorter, but it was still a tad long. From looking at the displays in the store, it seemed like the stocks on the 20ga 500's were about 1" shorter than the 12ga, but I could have been mistaken.

    I believe she needs a stock with a 13" LOP, approximately. So, I've been looking primarily at youth-sized models. The problem is, none of the local stores seem to have anything in youth sizes for her to try. Another "problem" is that all youth-sized guns seem to come with a short barrel, usually in the 22" range. Is this common? My concern is that the barrel will be too short to effectively shoot trap, which is the whole point of getting her the shotgun in the first place. Am I wrong? Is the whole gun just scaled down proportionally so that a 22" barrel on a youth model "feels" like a 26" barrel on a normal sized gun? I'd prefer not to have to deal with buying a youth-sized gun and then trying to find a full length barrel, if possible.

    So, I think my options are to just get a youth sized model and have her try it to see if it works, and if not, try to find a longer barrel. Or, buy a full-sized gun with a full length barrel, then buy a Hogue short stock set. Which would you guys recommend? My girlfriend is about 5'5" and has no problem shooting either my 12ga or my 20ga (truth be told, the H&R 20ga kicks harder than the 12ga 870).

    As for youth models, I've narrowed it down to an 870 youth 20ga w/ 21" barrel, Mosserg Bantam 20ga w/ 22" barrel, Charles Daly youth 20ga w/ 22" barrel, or a Benelli Nova youth 20ga 24" barrel.

    Price is a concern, and while I'd like to keep it as low as possible (since it's just a recreational gun), I'd be willing to spend a bit more for the right gun. As it stands, it seems like the Benelli nova youth would be perfect, but it is also the priciest - probably at least $450 out the door. Anyways, what do you guys think?
    The right to bear arms has justly been considered as the palladium of the liberties of a republic. - Justice Story, Commentaries (1833)
  • #2
    Thefeeder
    Calguns Addict
    • Jun 2007
    • 5007

    Try the yout models. My wife loves her Browning BPS. There is also a 870, Win 1300, Browning Citori with shorter stocks......to name a few

    or, any shotgun with a wood stock can be cut to fit

    Comment

    • #3
      ysr_racer
      Banned
      • Mar 2006
      • 12014

      Rem 1100 youth 20ga.

      Comment

      • #4
        randy
        In Memoriam
        • Nov 2006
        • 4642

        +1 ysr
        I move slow but I make up for it by shooting poorly.

        When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.

        Comment

        • #5
          ysr_racer
          Banned
          • Mar 2006
          • 12014

          On second thought, get her a 10ga goose gun, and you'll enjoy the rest of your life shooting with your buddys

          Comment

          • #6
            jinggoyd1967
            Member
            CGN Contributor
            • Sep 2008
            • 199

            20 ga, semi-auto in a youth size. She appreciate the more compact size plus the recoil attenuation of a 20 ga and semi-auto action.

            Comment

            • #7
              eccvets
              Banned
              • Jul 2008
              • 1243

              12 gauge all the way; What is she, a p*ssy?

              Comment

              • #8
                prc77
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2008
                • 2578

                Originally posted by eccvets
                12 gauge all the way; What is she, a p*ssy?
                Not nice
                C Co. 509th ABN/PFDR
                83-85

                USPSA CRO
                MEMBER: USPSA, GSSF, Richmond Rod & Gun, Sunnyvale Rod & Gun


                sigpic

                Comment

                • #9
                  sorensen440
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Mar 2007
                  • 8612

                  Knoxx stocks are nice because they reduce recoil as well as are adjustable
                  "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    mvpatriot
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2008
                    • 2178

                    Originally posted by eccvets
                    12 gauge all the way; What is she, a p*ssy?
                    no winky even?? Ouch!

                    Where do you shoot OP?

                    I ventured out to Prado Olymic clays last Sat and had a blast in the pouring rain! I almost forgot I was in Cali for a sec.

                    Dillon reloading basics Vids here

                    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=190727

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      tyrist
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2007
                      • 4564

                      how tall is she?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        kyoung05
                        Member
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 123

                        First of all, thanks for all of the replies - I do appreciate it.

                        Ok, so 12ga would be an option - like I said, she has no problem shooting my 12ga Wingmaster - but it's just too big for her.

                        I think a knoxx stock would work, but, since it's primarily going to be used for trap, I think a mossberg or winchester with a 26" barrel and a pistol grip stock would look a little....odd. Plus, if I get one that has a wood stock, I'll need to swap out the foreend to have it match. If I decide to go the fullsize route, I'm also considering the Hogue synthetic foreend and stock with 12" LOP.

                        She is about 5'5"

                        Semi-auto would be nice, but a decent one costs more than I was looking to spend, and the increased difficulty in cleaning/maintaining it makes it a less attractive option.

                        So, we discussed the issue a bit further, and she's not 100% certain she wants to actually own a gun just yet, but she still likes to shoot trap. SO.....basically, I am looking for a new gun for MYSELF....that would just "happen" to fit her....because it seems stupid for us to go out all the time and have her enjoy it less because my gun doesn't fit her. So, I am thinking either a Charles Daly youth (cheapest option - seems reliable enough, pretty basic pump 20ga), a Remington 870 Youth, or a Benelli Nova youth (most expensive - probably about $130 or so more than an 870 youth because no one sells used youth-sized Benellis. While it'd be cool to own a Benelli, I don't know if it's $130 better than an 870, if at all). I was considering the Mossberg Bantam, but they seem a bit harder to find.....

                        I normally shoot at Los Altos Rod & Gun in Northern CA. We actually shoot from the manual trap machines, as we're still learning the sport, and don't want the added pressure shooting with others on the electronic trap machines.

                        Anyways, thanks again, and I'll keep you guys posted.
                        The right to bear arms has justly been considered as the palladium of the liberties of a republic. - Justice Story, Commentaries (1833)

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1