Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Quail hunters a few questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Hunt
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 4833

    Quail hunters a few questions

    I know nothing about quail hunting, going to try this year. Does a semi auto or pump action really make a difference? Is a single shot a real limiting factor for success? I am thinking, if you don't get it with that first shot they are gone so fast no time for a follow up anyway, so there is time to reload a single shot before next flush, is this the case?
    Protect public lands access http://www.backcountryhunters.org/
  • #2
    pennstater
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2010
    • 4671

    What shotgun are you going to be using? How much practice do you have? Have you patterned it yet? Pumps are probably the most popular, followed by semi-auto's.

    Comment

    • #3
      TheCarpenter
      Member
      • Oct 2013
      • 455

      I personally and that's just me personally prefer a light wieght 20ga. semi auto. I can't stress the light weight enough. My bros under over 20ga. works great but not its not 5.5 lbs. like my Franchi. Real quail hunting in my area requires serious climbing up and down ridge after ridge, the lighter the better in my opinion. A 3rd shot can be a nice luxury too, especially when the one that was holding tight decides to break as your heading toward your downed bird.
      Last edited by TheCarpenter; 08-07-2016, 11:24 AM. Reason: Text

      Comment

      • #4
        MJB
        CGSSA Associate
        • Sep 2010
        • 5925

        Single shot will be hard

        Most of the time they will run first then hide and when they flush it can me multiple flushes from one bush always take your time on the first shot some birds will hold longer so you can get multiple shots on birds rather quickly.

        Also watch where they fly to so you can get another flush on single or double birds.
        One life so don't blow it......Always die with your boots on!

        Comment

        • #5
          pennstater
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2010
          • 4671

          Wait until the OP tries Chukar. He'll be inventing cuss words! But, they sure are fun.

          Comment

          • #6
            tnlrat37
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2010
            • 2166

            I use a Winchester 1300 speed pump. Remember quail fly in coveys so you will want all the shots you can. Especially if you catch them on the ground. However don't be that guy that flock shoots 3 then can't find any of them. Last few years I have just been shooting one then watch it fall and take note then walk straight to it and have been finding a lot more birds this way. Be sure to practice as much as you can before going out. I had a friend this year who was new that went through 2 boxes of ammo and didn't hit anything. He had a semi auto. I don't think it matters much semi vs pump if you practice but a single shot will just frustrate the he.. out of you.
            "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

            Comment

            • #7
              Hunt
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2009
              • 4833

              thanks guys, looking at the compact semi autos in 20 ga
              Protect public lands access http://www.backcountryhunters.org/

              Comment

              • #8
                TheCarpenter
                Member
                • Oct 2013
                • 455

                Originally posted by Hunt
                thanks guys, looking at the compact semi autos in 20 ga

                This is the one that got my money 5.5lbs nice shooter

                Comment

                • #9
                  Jimmy's
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2016
                  • 2600

                  Semi > Pump

                  But Over n Under get the Throne.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Irishfisher
                    Senior Member
                    • Mar 2016
                    • 1466

                    deleted
                    Last edited by Irishfisher; 08-04-2021, 6:42 AM.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      chuckdc
                      Senior Member
                      • Sep 2009
                      • 1919

                      Originally posted by Jimmy's
                      Semi > Pump

                      But Over n Under get the Throne.
                      Till the side-by shows up.
                      "Mr. Rat, I have a writ here that says you are to stop eating Chen Lee's cornmeal forthwith. Now, It's a rat writ, writ for a rat, and this is lawful service of same!"

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        parcours
                        Senior Member
                        • Mar 2008
                        • 1441

                        Originally posted by Hunt
                        I know nothing about quail hunting, going to try this year. Does a semi auto or pump action really make a difference? Is a single shot a real limiting factor for success? I am thinking, if you don't get it with that first shot they are gone so fast no time for a follow up anyway, so there is time to reload a single shot before next flush, is this the case?
                        Semi, pump, SxS or O/U is the only way to go. I wouldn't use a single shot, no pratical.

                        As far as getting a second shot, it depends on a few factors... If you're hunting with a good dog second shots are the norm. Typically when the covey flushes, you'll get a chance at a couple. No dog, then it depends on the size of covey and how many scare up or run away.

                        In either case, get a shotgun that you feel comfortable with and go have fun...

                        After you chase a few quail, you'll need to try your luck at Chukar

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          guns4life
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2010
                          • 4916

                          I take my Beretta O/U for all of my field work and leave the SX3 semi as a backup(+duck )...I find my accuracy improves(and my ammo lasts longer!) when I do not have the extra shell to fall back on.
                          Last edited by guns4life; 08-07-2016, 1:24 PM.
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            JagerDog
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • May 2011
                            • 15637

                            I have quite a few shotguns in various configurations. For quail I grab the 20g Benneli Montefeltro. I seldom shoot the 3rd shot at the original bird. It's not rare that I shoot the 3rd shot at subsequent birds. I can reload the magazine on the fly without looking and the gun remains in battery. Try that with a break barrel.
                            Palestine is a fake country

                            No Mas Hamas



                            #Blackolivesmatter

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Horrendo Revolver
                              Senior Member
                              • May 2015
                              • 1013

                              Originally posted by Hunt
                              thanks guys, looking at the compact semi autos in 20 ga
                              Why are you looking at compacts? Are you of smaller than normal stature?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1