Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

What will I learn at a Defense shotgun course

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Magilacutty
    Junior Member
    • Jan 2016
    • 9

    What will I learn at a Defense shotgun course

    New so please excuse me if its in wrong section. My question is to people who took a shotgun defence class.

    What did you learn in the first or beginner course?

    I have 8 years of shotgun experience while hunting and shooting trap and sporting clays.
  • #2
    SuperSet
    Calguns Addict
    • Feb 2007
    • 9048

    I train with Rob at Valour Resource Group so I'm only going off memory...

    Equipment setup
    Shotgun patterning
    Shotgun vs handgun vs carbine
    Slug zeroing and distance shooting
    Recoil mitigation
    Reloading (combat reload, loading from caddies, under vs over, slug switchover techniques)
    Transitions to handgun
    Shooting positions, Shooting on the move

    Comment

    • #3
      strongpoint
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2010
      • 3115

      See if you can borrow a copy of the Magpul shotgun video from someone.
      .

      Comment

      • #4
        AAShooter
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        CGN Contributor
        • May 2010
        • 7188

        Originally posted by strongpoint
        See if you can borrow a copy of the Magpul shotgun video from someone.
        Buy it . . . $7!

        Comment

        • #5
          AAShooter
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • May 2010
          • 7188

          Comment

          • #6
            strongpoint
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2010
            • 3115

            Originally posted by AAShooter

            Even better! It's no substitute for actually going through a class, but it would show OP some of the typical curriculum.
            .

            Comment

            • #7
              AAShooter
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
              CGN Contributor
              • May 2010
              • 7188

              Originally posted by strongpoint
              Even better! It's no substitute for actually going through a class, but it would show OP some of the typical curriculum.
              They have some of the tactical carbine sets on sale also.

              Comment

              • #8
                Doheny
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Sep 2008
                • 13820

                Where are you located? Who's class are you thinking about taking?
                Sent from Free America

                Comment

                • #9
                  AAShooter
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  CGN Contributor
                  • May 2010
                  • 7188

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Sheepdog1968
                    Senior Member
                    • Jun 2009
                    • 1903

                    Originally posted by AAShooter
                    That was enjoyable. Thanks for posting the link.
                    RIP Louis Awerbuck. I miss you and your training.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ErnstHatAngst
                      Member
                      • Jan 2013
                      • 307

                      Thanks for all that, AAShooter!

                      I was just passing by and saw this. I've signed up for an upcoming one day "Tactical Defensive Shotgun" class with GrayOps in Sacramento. Looking forward to it for sure.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Magilacutty
                        Junior Member
                        • Jan 2016
                        • 9

                        relpy

                        Thanks AAshooter

                        Superset---- can you describe what is Recoil Mitigation for me...is it stance and and how to hold a shotgun. Does it go into gun fit?

                        Thanks for the replies

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          AAShooter
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          CGN Contributor
                          • May 2010
                          • 7188

                          Originally posted by ErnstHatAngst
                          Thanks for all that, AAShooter!

                          I was just passing by and saw this. I've signed up for an upcoming one day "Tactical Defensive Shotgun" class with GrayOps in Sacramento. Looking forward to it for sure.
                          I have been thinking of taking that . . . let us know how it goes.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            AAShooter
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            CGN Contributor
                            • May 2010
                            • 7188

                            Originally posted by Magilacutty
                            Thanks AAshooter

                            Superset---- can you describe what is Recoil Mitigation for me...is it stance and and how to hold a shotgun. Does it go into gun fit?

                            Thanks for the replies
                            You are welcome. Not sure what Superset was referring to but usually it has to do with shooting fundamentals (stance/body lean), gun type, ammo selection and gun fit. Part of the challenge is running the gun through recoil and ready for followup shots.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Magilacutty
                              Junior Member
                              • Jan 2016
                              • 9

                              Repley

                              AAshooter.....from the list and vid, there is a lot there that I have done quite a few times bird hunting and range shooting ...do you think its worth the cost to learn a few new things?

                              I already feel like I can protect myself , god forbid. Not going to do PD or Military work. Whats you option?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1