Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

28 guage youth shotgun

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • sdnative13
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2012
    • 653

    28 guage youth shotgun

    Does anyone know of a youth 28 guage shotgun? Or would I be better off buying a mossberg or remington pump and getting it tubed (if that is even possible). Probably not but a good idea non the less.
  • #2
    sdnative13
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2012
    • 653

    Youth I mean under 9 small stature. 20 guage is too heavy and big.

    Comment

    • #3
      Thefeeder
      Calguns Addict
      • Jun 2007
      • 5008

      ><

      The smallest I know of is the Mossberg 510 Mini Super Bantam ..5lb with an LOP of 10.5-11.5"

      There are 20ga extra light 3/4oz loads (28ga in a 20ga shell) that can be used

      I don't know of any 28ga SG that would possibly fit a small 9 year old without mods....+ 28ga target shells are among the pricest

      Edit: You may want to look at the 510 MSB in 410 if your going to do "starting out shooting".....cans at 10yds , tossing clays or cans in the air
      Last edited by Thefeeder; 10-14-2015, 8:21 PM.

      Comment

      • #4
        sdnative13
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2012
        • 653

        I was planning on reloading the 28 but I beleive you are right as far as the .410 idea. Just don't like the loose pattern of a .410 for beginners. To me a .410 is an expert guage not a beginners.

        Comment

        • #5
          ysr_racer
          Banned
          • Mar 2006
          • 12014

          Originally posted by sdnative13
          Youth I mean under 9 small stature. 20 guage is too heavy and big.
          My suggestion is wait a while until he/she is a little bigger. The last thing you want to do is "over gun" them.

          Comment

          • #6
            Thefeeder
            Calguns Addict
            • Jun 2007
            • 5008

            Originally posted by sdnative13
            I was planning on reloading the 28 but I beleive you are right as far as the .410 idea. Just don't like the loose pattern of a .410 for beginners. To me a .410 is an expert guage not a beginners.

            Comment

            • #7
              I Swan
              Calguns Addict
              • Sep 2010
              • 8770

              NEF did or still does make the Pardner single shot in 28gauge I forget if the stock is youth sized but that can be corrected.

              Comment

              • #8
                gun toting monkeyboy
                Calguns Addict
                • Aug 2008
                • 6820

                My ity-bity (at the time) 8 year old daughter had no trouble at all using a 20 gauge shotgun. Unless you are dealing with an anorexic dwarf, there isn't going to be much difference in weight, recoil or length between a 28 and a 20. I think you may be worrying too much about something that is a non-issue.

                -Mb
                Originally posted by aplinker
                It's OK not to post when you have no clue what you're talking about.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Tom-ADC
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 3614

                  Originally posted by sdnative13
                  Does anyone know of a youth 28 guage shotgun? Or would I be better off buying a mossberg or remington pump and getting it tubed (if that is even possible). Probably not but a good idea non the less.
                  Many years ago (he is 29 now) I started my grandson out with a H&R 28 ga youth shotgun, it was single shot with a modified choke, I was already shooting and reloading 28 so the gun was all I needed. We shoot skeet, him all singles of course, but he took well to instruction and one day got big enough for my 28 O/U, then on to my 20 and finally in high school a 12. Not sure if those little guns are still around but sure glad they were when he started.
                  US Navy Retired, NRA Lifetime member. Member CRPA

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    L84CABO
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 8779

                    Where do you even buy 28 gauge ammo? I mean, I'm sure a few places on the interwebz has it but that would be a deal breaker for me.
                    "Kestryll I wanna lick your doughnut."

                    Fighter Pilot

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Tom-ADC
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2010
                      • 3614

                      Originally posted by L84CABO
                      Where do you even buy 28 gauge ammo? I mean, I'm sure a few places on the interwebz has it but that would be a deal breaker for me.
                      I bought two full cases 500 rounds not the 250 when I bought my 28 I'm still reloading those, have lost a fews over the years but these should last me.
                      But I agree I don't recall seeing any on a shelf in years.
                      Graf & Sons, the reloading authority, has a wide selection of reloading supplies, shooting supplies, ammo and more.


                      Last edited by Tom-ADC; 10-15-2015, 3:01 PM.
                      US Navy Retired, NRA Lifetime member. Member CRPA

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        epic1856
                        Member
                        • Jan 2012
                        • 493

                        Originally posted by L84CABO
                        Where do you even buy 28 gauge ammo? I mean, I'm sure a few places on the interwebz has it but that would be a deal breaker for me.
                        Most if not all the major online stores carry them, Bass Pro, cabelas, gander mtn.
                        Tempus Fugit, Memento Mori

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          CSACANNONEER
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Dec 2006
                          • 44094

                          I've got an old 28g 11-48 for sale. You could always cut down the stock to fit and then add spacers (or an adjustable butt plate) as the child grows.
                          NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                          California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                          Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                          Utah CCW Instructor


                          Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                          sigpic
                          CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                          KM6WLV

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Bull Elk
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2011
                            • 4209

                            Originally posted by sdnative13
                            I was planning on reloading the 28 but I beleive you are right as far as the .410 idea. Just don't like the loose pattern of a .410 for beginners. To me a .410 is an expert guage not a beginners.
                            And.......to a large degree so is a 28 gauge. I'd try to find a 20 gauge. Maybe a single shot to start with.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              CSACANNONEER
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Dec 2006
                              • 44094

                              Originally posted by Bull Elk
                              And.......to a large degree so is a 28 gauge. I'd try to find a 20 gauge. Maybe a single shot to start with.
                              28g and even 32g patterns fine and are great choices for beginners who are smaller or very recoil sensitive.
                              NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                              California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                              Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                              Utah CCW Instructor


                              Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                              sigpic
                              CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                              KM6WLV

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1