Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Backup shotgun

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bigbearbear
    Calguns Addict
    • Jun 2011
    • 5378

    Backup shotgun

    For those of you who shoot clay regularly, do you keep a spare shotgun just in case your primary shotgun goes out of commission for whatever reason? If you do, do you get the same shotgun as a spare? Or something different to have variety?

    I've been shooting trap weekly with my Benelli Supersport 12 gauge for about 2 years now, its been functioning flawlessly, holding up to the weekly shooting routine I put it through without a hiccup. However, with the 10 day wait requirement for firearms purchase, I'm thinking if something were to go wrong, then I'll be without a clay shooter for a while even if I run out and buy something from the local store or get something online. Hence, my consideration in getting a spare.

    Thanks.
  • #2
    XVIga_Rob
    Senior Member
    • May 2012
    • 2354

    Since you've decided to buy another. What Are you leaning toward?


    I'm planning to shoot a little more clay in the future and just put a Beretta SP1 Sporting on layaway.

    Comment

    • #3
      RayPDA
      Senior Member
      • Sep 2011
      • 909

      I've got backups for my backups, so I can backup my backup...

      I almost always bring a spare, or two, or three; this applies for casual/fun trips and competitions.

      Sometimes the backup(s) are the same or of a similar type, other days I'll end up with a pump, an auto, an O/U and a SxS. I don't consider it backup so much as a selection availability

      Comment

      • #4
        bigbearbear
        Calguns Addict
        • Jun 2011
        • 5378

        Originally posted by XVIga_Rob
        Since you've decided to buy another. What Are you leaning toward?


        I'm planning to shoot a little more clay in the future and just put a Beretta SP1 Sporting on layaway.
        I'm a little torn.

        On one hand, I'm very comfortable with the Benelli Supersport, so another semi-auto from Benelli would make sense. Something like the Benelli Ethos would be interesting.

        On the other hand, I'm also curious about break actions, I've shouldered (at a vendor's store at Kingsburg during the State shoot) and shot the Beretta Silver Pigeon I (just 1 shot when someone at Coyote Valley let me try it). It felt really good and I like it. And then, there's also the new Benelli 828U, which is pretty interesting too.

        Pump actions are also somewhat interesting to me too, I've shouldered the Weatherby PA-08 and it felt good, and the Benelli Supernova looks good too though I've never tried it myself.

        So many choices....

        Comment

        • #5
          Jules
          Member
          • Aug 2010
          • 188

          I do keep a backup of the same model, mostly so I can rob parts from it in a hurry if my primary gun breaks down during an event. They're Beretta 391s. The backup doesn't feel the same as my main gun, but I could strip it down to the receiver if I needed to. At the moment I have it set up to shoot sporting clays.

          That said, I can shoot any of the guns in the house as backup if I needed. And there's no such thing as too many guns. I have a serious jones for a particular Ljutic, but as a single barrel break-open, I can't yet justify it in my head as a backup. Lots of people upgrade all the time.

          Comment

          • #6
            Steve_In_29
            Banned
            • Nov 2009
            • 5682

            If you are a SERIOUS competitor then a backup should be an exact copy of your main gun. Short of that simply get any other shotgun that peaks your fancy and set it up as you prefer.

            I agree there's really no such thing as too many guns.

            Comment

            • #7
              Bill Steele
              Calguns Addict
              • Sep 2010
              • 5028

              Buying a second duplicate shotgun for casual shooting has to be the biggest breakdown of creativity I have ever heard.

              Get something different, something that you know fits and really lights a fire in you. Screw all that analytical stuff, we do enough of that while we are standing there waiting our turn...
              When asked what qualities he most valued in his generals, Napoleon said, "give me lucky ones."

              Comment

              • #8
                L84CABO
                Calguns Addict
                • Mar 2009
                • 8776

                Let me see if I got this right...

                You've come to a gun forum...to ask if you should buy another gun?

                OF COURSE YOU SHOULD GET A BACKUP!
                "Kestryll I wanna lick your doughnut."

                Fighter Pilot

                Comment

                • #9
                  JagerDog
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • May 2011
                  • 15635

                  Originally posted by Steve_In_29
                  If you are a SERIOUS competitor then a backup should be an exact copy of your main gun. Short of that simply get any other shotgun that peaks your fancy and set it up as you prefer.

                  I agree there's really no such thing as too many guns.
                  ^^^^this
                  Palestine is a fake country

                  No Mas Hamas



                  #Blackolivesmatter

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    cudakidd
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • 3355

                    I have two 12 Gauge Perazzi Skeet Guns...same fit on each...

                    One 20 Gauge Grade V Browning Citori Skeet and one 20 Gauge Grade 6 Citori Skeet...
                    TURNING and turning in the widening gyre
                    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
                    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
                    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                    Are full of passionate intensity.

                    William Butler Yeats 1865-1939

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      XVIga_Rob
                      Senior Member
                      • May 2012
                      • 2354

                      Originally posted by XVIga_Rob
                      Since you've decided to buy another. What Are you leaning toward?


                      I'm planning to shoot a little more clay in the future and just put a Beretta SP1 Sporting on layaway.
                      Originally posted by bigbearbear
                      I'm a little torn.

                      On one hand, I'm very comfortable with the Benelli Supersport, so another semi-auto from Benelli would make sense. Something like the Benelli Ethos would be interesting.

                      On the other hand, I'm also curious about break actions, I've shouldered (at a vendor's store at Kingsburg during the State shoot) and shot the Beretta Silver Pigeon I (just 1 shot when someone at Coyote Valley let me try it). It felt really good and I like it. And then, there's also the new Benelli 828U, which is pretty interesting too.

                      Pump actions are also somewhat interesting to me too, I've shouldered the Weatherby PA-08 and it felt good, and the Benelli Supernova looks good too though I've never tried it myself.

                      So many choices....


                      If not a serious competitor, I'd buy something different.....spice of life.

                      As a casual clay shooter, I've been shooting a Wingmaster for quite awhile. It works great and I shoot it well. I do have a 'back up' 870, that I use as a field gun, as well as a couple others. I'm looking to shoot more clays in the future and want something different. I have looked at a ton of SA's and a few O/U's. I Had it narrowed down to a Winchester SX3 Composite Sporting or the Beretta SP1. Then, I came across the Beretta SP1 Sporting. Decision made!!

                      Good luck on your quest!

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        bigbearbear
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Jun 2011
                        • 5378

                        Thanks for the input everyone, appreciate it. I'm not (yet) a serious competitor, although I do shoot very regularly, almost every weekend and sometimes also during weekdays at night. It looks like it'll make sense to get 1 or more different shotgun, both as a backup and also something to see if I like better as the shotgun to use if I do decide to compete later on.

                        I think I'll spend a weekend at Coyote Valley to demo (rent) a few. Thanks again.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1